One Of The Group

Once the storm finally lets up I rise to make my move, but Plasma blocks the exit with his wing. "Where are you going?" He questions. "I need to return to my Alpha," I reply. "He's been expecting me. I need to go as soon as I can."

"Does your pack consist of any other Morphwings?" He asks. "No, only me," I state. "I didn't even know I was a dragon until a week ago."

"Really?" He asks, surprised. "My supposed mother brought me to your pack and started teaching me about Morphwings," I shrug. "I'm still not fully convinced that she's genuine, but then again I never trust anyone who has a human form."

"Smart move," he nods. "I'll have to talk to my father about all this. Can I assume you'll be there tomorrow when I return?"

"Of course," I nod. "I've been told you want me there specifically by your father, so it's not like I have much choice either way."

"That's true," he nods. "But I'll save all the technical terms for then. For now, I suppose I'll see you around, 'Nightling'."

Since I haven't told him my actual name yet, he's taken to calling me Nightling after hearing what the riders called me. He seems to find it amusing.

"Of course," I reply, slightly bowing my head in respect before I mount Volcana to arouse much less suspicion from anyone who spots us. "Let's get home," I tell her. "Sounds good to me," she agrees, flying up into the air. "I need to see my hatchlings. They must've caused so much trouble by now."

I chuckle as we leave, listening to her rant about how crazy her hatchlings are. It's really great to know what my partners are really saying. I know I could talk to them before, but this is so much better.

Once we make it back home I go straight to Alpine. Once he rises, he looks at me. "I know what you're after, girl," he says. "And yes. I'll gladly accept you as one of us."

"That's... thank you, Alpha," I breathe, bowing my head in respect. "You're practically one of us already," Alpine states. "We might as well make it official now that we know it's possible."

I nod, still shocked. I'm going to be an official pack member! "How does it work exactly?" I ask. Whenever he accepts another dragon into the pack he wants complete privacy, so I've never seen it before.

"I have to take a drop of your blood," he answers. "Though it has to be done willingly. I never let you watch these things because I doubted you'd enjoy seeing the blood of dragons everywhere."

"Well I wouldn't have gone crazy but that doesn't mean I'd want to watch that kind of thing," I shrug. "So when can I join the pack?"

"We can start right now if that's what you'd like, though you'd probably be better off doing this in dragon form," Alpine offers. "Sounds good to me," I agree, morphing. I then dig my claw into a small gap between my scales, digging in. I wince at the pain of being stabbed, but once I'm in far enough to make it bleed I pull it out again to avoid too much damage.

Alpine leans over and licks up a drop of the crimson red liquid, holding it on his tongue for a moment before swallowing it down. The second he does so, I freeze.

I feel connections begin to form between the pack, the strongest one being with Alpine. I'm tied to them, linked to them by an invisible thread. I can sense that they're all surprised, evidently feeling the same links to me. It's incredible.

I'm truly one of them now.

I control you now, a familiar voice says in my head. Alpine. I won't do so unless I have to, but now you know what I could do to you without a second thought.

"I understand, Alpha," I breathe quietly, my voice hardly above a whisper. "If you ever do control me... what is it like?"

You will lose sight of the world around you, he explains. It will become a distortion of unidentifiable blends. Then you will have no choice but to do what I ask of you, no matter what you do to prevent it. Though like I said, I will only do it when absolutely necessary.

"Okay," I nod slowly. "Yes, Alpha."

"Go dress that wound," he says aloud. "Then rest up. You cut way deeper than you needed to and you look exhausted anyway."

"Yes, Alpha," I repeat before leaving. I move quickly towards the clinic, where I morph back into human form and sort out the wound I left where my shoulder and neck join.

By the time I exit the clinic is swarmed with my partners- no, Pack members. "Indigo!" "You're one of us!" "You joined the pack!"

The rawks and roars and screeches don't cease and I laugh along. "Yes, I'm an official pack member now," I confirm. "I thought you had to be a dragon!" Nightshade pipes up. "Actually..." I smirk to him before morphing into dragon form.

I receive gasps of shock from almost all the dragons. I guess that means that the word about Morphwings surprisingly hasn't spread until now.

"This is bad..." I hear Nightshade mutter Unser his breath. I look to him. "Why is it a bad thing?" I ask.

"He claimed that the day you turned into a dragon," Shadow answered for him, smirking. "Would be the day that he gave up dragon nip!"

We all burst out laughing, except for poor Nightshade, who buries himself under his wings. "Well technically I was born a dragon, so he's already missed seventeen years of this rule and I'm sure we can forgive more," I say, knowing that it'll cheer him up.

"What?!" They all seem surprised. I laugh. "Let me tell you about Morphwings," I say, walking towards a larger space so we can all have more room. They follow, eager to know what I mean.