Aftershock

I stay there for who knows how long, crying quietly to myself, before I'm eventually caught by the resident Typhoomerang Valerie. "Indigo, are you okay?" She asks worriedly, hurrying over to me and nuzzling me affectionately.

I rarely cry so this is a rare situation for the pack to have to help me when I'm in tears. "Alpine... I let him get attacked," I say, hanging my head in shame. "He commanded me to let him get hurt instead of keeping him safe..."

"Tell me what happened," Valerie instructs. I nod, wiping at my tears, and begin explaining what happened. She allows me to hug her tightly for the duration of the story, which she listens to intently. She's always been very patient and caring, though she's definitely not the kind of dragon you'd want to get on the bad side of.

"That's horrible," she concludes when I've finished my tale. "I'm so sorry, Indigo. I know that it must've been difficult for you to watch something like that, now more than ever. But in all honesty I somewhat agree with the Alpha's actions."

"You would've controlled me as well?" I ask, internally shuddering at the thought. "Of course not," she says instantly, nuzzling me affectionately.

"I don't agree with him compelling you, but I do agree with him stopping you. Indigo, I know you mean well and I love how you're so loyal as to put yourself in harm's way just to keep us safe, but you can't do it. Like it or not, you can't protect us forever and we can handle ourselves thanks to you. Even the hatchlings can stand their ground depending on the situation."

"I have to keep you safe, it's my responsibility," I say. "But it's not," she argues calmly. "You're barely seventeen. You're still a child, even if you're wise and experienced beyond your years. It's your Alpha's responsibility to keep you safe, not the other way around. That's what an Alpha's purpose is. It's to keep their pack safe and happy."

"No, I swore that I would protect dragons with my life years ago. This is my responsibility, Valerie. This is my purpose. This is what I was born to do and what I love to do."

"You were born to find a mate," Valerie smirked knowingly. "Tell me about this Plasma."

"He's got a mate already," I say, remembering what Adriana said about how 'his mate is very lucky'. I don't bother pointing out that she's changed the subject, though the look I give her lets her know that I did pick up on it.

"Any other males you're interested in, then?" She asks, her knowing look still lingering. "No, why are you asking me about mates?" I question. "Because you would be so cute with a mate, obviously," she smirks. "That and I want to see how Gordon reacts to another male taking over his sleeping space with you."

We both laugh at poor Gordon's expense. "He'd hate it," I agree. "Thanks for cheering me up, Valerie."

"Not a problem," Valerie smiles at me. "Would you like me to speak with Alpine about this?" "No thanks," I reply. "Dragging you into this mess would be pointless."

"Well I'm always happy to help with anything, we all are," she states. I nod and slowly get back up, wincing in pain from the wounds I acquired from Toothless. Noticing this for the first time as I was hunched up and covering it before, Valerie quickly dips her head down to support me.

"Did this happen when you were protecting Alpine?" She asked worriedly. "I jumped in the way of three Plasma Blasts, that's all," I say. "Nothing major."

"For you it is!" Valerie persists, wrapping me up in her wings. "Changewing scales are much lighter and softer due to their ability to change their colour. If you're distantly related to Changewings and you can switch your scales out, then your scales are most likely just as vulnerable! You can't take that many hits!"

"I don't care if I get hurt as long as you guys stay safe and out of harm's way," I say. "Well we care about you even if you don't," I can feel Valerie shrug. "Now you get some rest, I'll take you to your room."

"You don't have to," I insist. "Yes I do," Valerie sighs. "You need looking after whether you like it or not, young lady, and you also need to sleep. It's very late, you've hardly slept in weeks and your injuries will heal quicker if you give them the chance to."

"Why am I suddenly being treated like everyone's toddler lately?" I sigh as well, exasperated. "Because you've been acting like one," Valerie claims. "You're refusing to take care of yourself even when you know you should and you're always ignoring us when we try and make you."

I think about it for a minute. Am I really acting like a toddler lately? I'm not trying to. All I'm trying to do is make sure my family and my pack are alright.

I didn't realise Valerie had started walking until she stopped. "Go to sleep, Indigo," she tells me gently. "We're all safe here except for you. You're the only one of us who needs to be taken care of, not any of us. You've looked after us all these years. Now let us take care of you."

I just shuffle closer to Valerie, the warmth of her large wings wrapping its way around me like a heated blanket. I sigh slightly, knowing I can't win this little argument. "Fine," I say with a sigh. "Alright, Val. You win."

"I always do," she jokes, then pokes her head through her wings and nuzzles my cheek. I pet her head. "Thanks for everything, Val."

"Not a problem, just make sure to put yourself first once in a while," she said before retracting her head and rocking her wings back and forth, lulling me to sleep.