Burning Questions

Once Hiccup and Astrid left I had a proper sleep. As expected, Gordon decided to join me and curled up next to my stomach. I love that little guy.

Once I woke up I lay there with my eyes closed and my hand on Gordon's back, thinking about this whole Morphwing situation. They have no reason to lie to me about being a part of their family if they're dragons, if anything they'd be against the idea, so I know it's all true even if it is hard to believe.

They say that I'll morph into a dragon when I'm seventeen, which is six days from now if I remember correctly. I have six more days minimum before I know for sure if this is all just a lie.

What will I do if I do morph? Would it be possible to continue life as usual? I doubt it. Would I have to go see my family more? Probably. What do I do? What can I do?

I sigh slightly. So many questions, so little time. I definitely have to go back and ask about it all. And I'll have to spend my birthday there, I guess... great.

Gordon, sensing my discomfort, turns his head around so he can lick my hand. I chuckle and pull him closer to me, hugging the little guy. He's the best sometimes.

But right now I need more.

I sit up and stretch, yawning. After a last quick hug with Gordon I make my way deeper into the sanctuary, knowing exactly where I want to go. One thought remains clear within my jumbled mind.

Alpine.

I reach his cavern and he rises, sensing my presence. "I need your help," I say to him. "If that's alright, of course." He nods his big white head to tell me to explain my dilemma, concern in his large eyes.

"I met my family," I begin slowly. "They're Morphwings. Have you heard of them?"

He looks at me in shock, then leans closer and sniffs at me, his eyes slowly widening. "Is it true that I'm one of them? Because I doubt it."

He nods, confirming that my scent contains that of a Morphwing. "You knew all this time?" I ask. He shook his head. Only that you carry an unusual scent, he claimed. "Oh. Okay," I reply, not taking offence as I understand what he means.

He leans towards me and nuzzles me gently. I'm sorry I hurt you before. "It's fine," I tell him, petting him. "Worse has been done and it was just an accident."

I stay petting him for a minute, him rumbling in approval. He doesn't communicate with me much, he's definitely a dragon of few words, but those few words, however rare, are always full of wisdom and thought that just put everything into clearer perspectives.

"I hear you sent Valka and Cloudjumper away," I remark. He growls softly at the reminder. She threatened the life of one of my pack members, he stated. "Skyvolt wasn't threatened," I point out. I meant you, he huffs.

"I'm not a member of the pack, humans can't be part of dragon packs," I remind him. I thought you were a Morphwing dragon, he huffs again.

I pause. He's right. I'm a dragon. I can be an official part of the pack. This is perfect!

"If this all works out, I can truly be one of you," I breathe, knowing I'll screech in excitement if I go any louder. And I don't want to hurt poor Alpine's ears.

He nods at that. And I won't need to keep doing this stupid gesture thing, he remarks, making me chuckle. "No you won't. You don't even need to do it now if you don't want to."

I continue talking to Alpine for a little while longer, now with him only nodding or things like that instead of a full response. It doesn't matter to me, though. I'm just glad that he's here for me.

Eventually I have to go, so I say goodbye to him and mount Stylive. "Let's go back, girl," I tell her, pulling up my mask. She rawks excitedly and we fly off.

It doesn't take too long compared to other trips to reach the island. Stylive is the first to spot three familiar dragons all munching happily on some fish.

"Don't you know it's impolite to start eating before all the guests are seated?" I joke, hopping off of Stylive and landing near them. The first to greet me is Melanite, who leaps at me and tackled me to the ground in a hug and a sea of licks. "Glad to see you too, Melanite," I laugh.

"You came back!" Selene gasped, now in human form along with Asher. "Of course I did," I pull Melanite from me and place her down as I speak. "How could I stay away from this little ball of adorable?"

Selene and Asher both laugh at that. "She is pretty cute," Asher admits, offering a hand to me. I allow him to pull me up onto my feet again. "But I bet you clean up pretty well beneath that mask of yours too, sis," he smirks.

"Save that kind of flattery for your mate," I advice. "She's told me to stop that, actually," he chuckled. "Thinks I'm just saying it."

"You have a mate?" I ask. "Of course I do, who wouldn't want a mate like me?" He brags. "What about anyone with eyes?" I shrug, causing Selene to double up laughing. "Got quite a mouth under that mask, haven't you?" Asher remarked. "All the better to insult you with," I chuckle.

Asher turns to Selene. "Muuuuuuum!" He moans deliberately childishly. "Indigo's being a meanie!"

We all laugh at that. "Is it really that mean to state the truth?" I ask with a shrug. "Now tell me about your mate."

"She's absolutely amazing," he replies, smiling as though I never insulted him. "I bet you're whipped," I smirk beneath my mask. "Whipped means in love, so if that's the case then yes, I'm very whipped," he smirked back.