Little One Sleep

My screaming must've woke Melanite up because I can hear her whimpers, but that's the least of my concerns right now. "Indigo, what's wrong?" Asher's voice turns from triumphant though somewhat upset to worried within an instant. "Not again! Please not again! No more!" I shout, still struggling to escape.

"What's wrong, Indi?" Asher seems genuinely concerned and confused, but I'm too panicked to think about that right now. "Don't try and trick me! I know what you're going to do!" I snarl, my voice still shrill as I yell. "I know what 'there might be' means! I'm not stupid!"

I hear Stylive rawking and snapping out her tail spines, knowing how I feel. "Stylive, calm down!" Asher says quickly. "I'm not going to hurt her or you! What's wrong with what I said?"

Stylive rawks at him a few times, then Selene transfers me into Stylive's wings instead, though she leaves me no room to escape. Thankful for her being so close, I shuffle into her chest, clinging to it for dear life. "Not again, not again, not again," I repeat over and over, my voice uneven and raspy.

A little head pops through Stylive's wings. Melanite nuzzles my face worriedly. "Come on in," I tell her, making a little room. I have to keep her safe. She happily clambers in and cuddles up to me. I do the same with her, still keeping extra close to Stylive.

Every time Selene or Asher try to get close, Stylive snaps out her tail spines and growls threateningly to them, causing them to back up. I stay clinging to her until I've calmed down enough to think straight and not have to breathe so heavily to control my rapidly beating heart.

"Indigo, please tell me what's wrong," Selene begged, sounding like she was trying not to cry. "You... you're all the same," I say. "All the same."

"What did we do wrong?" Asher asks. "Don't play dumb, I know what you were going to do to me," I say. "What?" Asher is still confused.

"You were going to drug me, I know it," I say. "I'm not an idiot. I've learned that that's what they all do when they want you to stop."

"You've been drugged before?!" I can tell Asher and Selene are trying to refrain from growling. "Those messed up hunters wanted me to shut up and quit struggling. I told them I'd never stop, that there was no way to make me. They told me there might be. The next thing you know, I'm unconscious due to their horrible drugs. I'm weak and vulnerable. There's no telling what they'll do to the others and I'll just sleep right through it. No drugs. No drugs. No more. Not again."

"Indi, we'd never give you drugs," Selene says softly. "We don't even have any drugs around here. You're safe here. We'd never do anything like that to you."

Stylive coos sadly and pokes her head in, nuzzling my cheek. I nuzzle her back thankfully. "Indigo, we're sorry we scared you," Asher says. "When I said it, I only meant the wing trick, I swear. I'd never hurt you. Ever. I promise."

Melanite licks my face, backing up her brother. "Stay safe, little one," I murmur quietly to her. "Stay safe and fly free."

"Indigo, can you please come out?" Selene asks. Stylive looks to me, asking what I want. I sigh slightly, knowing I'll have to do this at some point anyway, and nod. She licks my face before slowly unfurling her wings.

Selene wastes no time in walking over and hugging me tightly. "I'm so sorry we made you think that, baby girl. And I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this. You're only sixteen, you shouldn't be like this yet. You shouldn't be like this at any age. I'm so proud of you for everything you've done for yourself."

I find myself hugging her back, needing the comfort. Asher joins in and Melanite curls up on my lap. My first family hug in years... well, with my true family, anyway.

"Are you sure you don't want to get some rest, Indigo?" Asher asks quietly. "No drugs, I promise."

I sigh, knowing he's not going to give up. "Only for tonight. I can't stay any longer than that. Okay?"

He smiles at me before hugging me tighter. "Thank you. I'm just glad to have my sister back again. I've missed you all these years, you know."

He lingers a moment longer before morphing into his dragon form and wrapping me up in his dark blue wings. This time I don't struggle against it and glance at Stylive as the last of the world gets swallowed up by pitch blackness.

"Good night, Indigo," Selene's voice says. "Thank you for staying, even if it's just for tonight. I'm glad you're back at last. I can finally see my little girl again."

I just lay still and listen to her speak. Asher's now naturally higher body heat acts as a blanket and keeps me warm. His surprisingly comfortable wings don't cause any discomfort to me. He was right; it really is relaxing to be curled up in a dragon's wings.

I sigh quietly, adjusting my position slightly, leaning into his wings. Asher pokes his head between his wings and licks the side of my face. I chuckle and pet his snout, causing him to purr.

He allows me to continue for a minute before he licks my face one last time and retracts his head, leaving me in peace. I gradually get tired, fatigue catching up to me. The truth is, I haven't had much sleep lately. I've been kept awake to sort out Jewel and the other hatchlings who have all decided to have a war against getting a good night's sleep and have taken to jumping on me if I so much as try and catch a few winks.

I can't fight off the sleep for long, so instead of fighting a pointless battle I welcome the slumber and it's warm embrace.