Experiments

Volcana and I head out to the forest and set up a basic camp, waiting for it to become darker. I've realised that if we're allowed to show ourselves if we want and since they've already seen one of us anyway, I might as well have some fun with a little experiment.

Once it's pitch black so I can get started, I morph into my dragon form and silently take off alone towards the village. I'm not going to reveal my connections to this kind of dragon. I'm not planning on morphing when in front of people. But this will be a meaningful experiment.

To see through the eyes of a dragon. To feel the fear and panic and pain. To know what it's like for them. That is the point of this experiment.

I can already see them. The riders and their dragons have met up in the square all alone. The only ones who aren't there are Valka and the twins.

I can tell that the original Morphwing has left, so I make my move and glide over their heads. "Okay, guys," Hiccup is saying. "Remember the plan and that dragon can't steal more sheep."

"Uh... guys?" Fishlegs says in a nervous tone, looking up at me. "What if we don't see them?" Astrid asks Hiccup. "Guys?" Fishlegs says again. I actually snicker quietly. He's the only one to hear and his eyes widen.

"Then at least we're prepared for anything," Hiccup answers Astrid's question, but by now Fishlegs can't take it anymore. "Guys!" He shouts in a fearful tone. This causes everyone to finally acknowledge me.

I raise my wings, looking over them all, before darting off without a sound. "Follow that Stealthwing!" Hiccup shouts. Stealthwing? I pause and look at him, cocking my head. Is Stealthwing what he's calling Morphwings since he doesn't have a better name? I have to admit, I like it.

As soon as I paused, I take off again, zipping away. I can hear the others on my tail, Toothless coming the closest, so I pick up the pace and growl warningly just like a wild dragon would.

The other dragons all growl back at me. "No more sheep for you!" Toothless roars. "You're thinking of another dragon!" I roar back. "I'm just here looking for them! Now get those pathetic humans away from me!"

"Like I'd fall for that!" Toothless snarls, gaining on me. "And by the way, young female, some of these guys are not pathetic!"

"Only some?" I snicker. "I've heard a lot of arguments in my time but that has to be the best so far."

Toothless just growls and tries nipping my tail, so I dive downwards. The only problem with this? I happen to be over a field of sheep. Great going, Indigo. That's definitely going to convince them that you're not after sheep.

I huff slightly and fly back upwards, making it obvious that I never picked up a sheep. "You're a lot less stealthy now," Toothless teases. "Am I too much for you?"

"I already told you, I'm not the same dragon!" I growl. "I don't plan on harming anyone, so just leave me in peace!"

Toothless growls back, chasing me  back over Berk with the others in tow. "We can do this all night, but I'm not letting myself get killed for something I never did!" I growl at the dragons who are tailing me.

I know they won't kill me. They won't even hurt me, if it's possible. But they don't know that I know, so this should hopefully through them off guard.

I'm about to yell more at the dragons when I hear something coming at me. I look above me too late and am grabbed by a net, then thrown onto the ground due to my wings being tangled up.

I thrash about, panicking but not allowing them to see it by putting on a tough front. I've gone fully into my role as a wild dragon and am getting what I wished. The group all land nearby, followed by the twins, who must've been the ones who threw the net.

"Easy there, we're not gonna hurt you," Hiccup says, coming over. I growl at him, annoyed, but I don't attack other than sticking my tail out of the net and slapping his arm with it.

"Okay, I deserve that," he mutters, holding his arm in pain. I snicker. "Yes you did. Yes you did."

"Hiccup, it's not the same dragon," Astrid's voice says from my side. She's inspecting my wings, which I hit her with. "Hey!" She snaps at me. I just snicker again while she continues.

"Hiccup, The last dragon we saw was a male. This one is a female. It's a different dragon."

"Not to mention their scales," Fishlegs pipes up, not getting too close as he's caught onto what I'm doing. Smart move, boy. Smart move.

"Well at least we can study this one," Hiccup says. I growl and thrash around again. "Do I look like a test subject to you?!"

Toothless growls warningly at me, but Hiccup pets his head. "Easy, bud. She's just scared. Be nice to her, she's not a threat so far."

"What are they going to do to me?" I question Toothless. "Just watch you, I guess," he replies, a lot less hostile now, but still on his guard. "That's how it was with me."

"That's the last thing I want," I huff, trying to use my claws to cut the net open. "I just want to get back to my pack. That's all I want. Get me out of here."

"No can do," Toothless states, almost apologetically. "My kind are secluded for a reason," I tell him. "The two of us that you have seen... we're the last of our kind. We need to keep safe. We need to keep away from humans because they just murder us. They're the reason we're almost extinct."

"These guys won't hurt you," Toothless shrugs. "Now stay quiet. You're going to need your strength."

Before I can ask what he means, the net is picked up by the other dragons, who start to carry me away.