Something Fishy

I make my way around the sanctuary, my mask up and my hand on the hilt of my sword. Whoever's here better not have seen too much already.

I move to the stables first, where most of the dragons are waiting out the possible hunter attack. If they were in here, they would've been spotted by now, so I don't stick around long.

The hatchery is next on my list, but I still see nothing out of the ordinary, so I head to my room in case it's that redhead idiot again. If he's the one who's here, he hasn't arrived to the room yet.

Linutem is saying she spotted a human in the clinic, Alpine informed me of what the resident Timberjack had found out. Thanks for the help, I reply briefly before shutting him out so I can concentrate.

I hurry down to the clinic, bracing myself for an attack. I silently draw my sword. It glimmers in the light, proving that it can be both beautiful and deadly. I wait for a moment outside the clinic's entrance, listening to the sound of heavy footsteps inside that confirm a human is in there.

Without a moment's hesitation, I swiftly point my sword at the tip of their throat.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

I wince at the shriek and put my sword away. "Oh for the love of... shut up! Do you want to deafen me?!"

Fishlegs finally comes to his senses and stops yelling. "Artemis? What are you doing here..."

His eyes widen. "Oh no... did I just find your sanctuary?! Oh gods, I'm so sorry, I didn't know this was your island! Please don't kill me, I won't tell anyone, I swear!"

"That's right, you won't," I snap. "Was there anyone with you? Or following you?" "I was alone," he says. "I was on my way to go meet Heather and then I saw the Sentinels around here so I decided to check them out. That's when I noticed a way in."

"You have to be telling the truth," I persist, believing him already but still knowing I have to follow procedure. "I'm not going to kill you whether you were alone or brought the entire world population with you, I just need to know how many people I need to take care of."

"I swear, I was alone," he states. I sigh. "Fine, fine. Now come with me. I need to sort you out. Don't worry, it's not going to hurt or anything."

"Um... what are you going to do?" He asks nervously. "We're going to get your memories erased so that you can't tell anyone about what you've seen here," I reply, walking off. He starts following, Meatlug by his side.

"How exactly is that going to work?" He tries to stall. "It doesn't matter, but it's completely harmless," I state. "As long as you hold still, anyway. Otherwise you might fall and hit your head, but that would be your own fault."

"Um... okay," he still seems scared, but that's none of my concern. We're literally not even the same species, why should I bother?

Have you found them yet?

The voice causes me to halt. Fishlegs does too, looking at me in confusion and curiosity.

Yes, Alpine. They're no threat to us, but I'm going to make sure their memories are taken care of.

I'll send Camo your way.

Thank you, Alpine.

I suck in a breath once we disconnect. I'm still getting used to that little trick. Fishlegs has dropped his worried look and replaced it with one of confusion. "Is something wrong?"

"Just sorting out the necessary arrangements," I reply, walking on as if nothing happened. "Um... Artemis?" He pipes up again. "What are you going to do to Meatlug?"

"Hm..." I look to the brown Gronkle. "As long as I get to stay around my heated pillow," she remarks, oblivious to the fact that I can understand her. "She can stay with you," I tell Fishlegs in order to correspond to her request.

"Like you can read my mind," Meatlug states, nuzzling me as further proof that she's happy with my decision. "Never say never," I mutter to myself.

Suddenly Camo appears in front of us, looking at us all. "Aaaah!" Fishlegs yells in surprise. "Camo isn't going to harm you," I tell Fishlegs. Camo moves his long neck downwards to my level. "The Alpha said you asked for me. I'm assuming that you need me to handle the boy?"

"Just the usual, please," I confirm in a way that won't clue Meatlug in on my abilities.

Camo turns to our human intruder and maintains eye contact for a moment before beginning his hypnotic trance. It only takes a few moments for Fishlegs to drop to the floor, unconscious.

"No!" His partner roars, running over to him, but I hold out my hand to her. "He's not hurt, only asleep," I tell her. "Do you think you could make the journey back home?"

"I can reach Valka's Sanctuary," she nods. "From there I can get back." "Good, then take him there," I tell her, loading a now completely dealt with human boy onto her back in a secure manner so he doesn't slip off.

"Don't come back here or I'll have to erase your own memories next time," I tell her, petting Camo as thanks for his help. "Good luck."

With a quick lick to my face, Meatlug flies out. I sigh in relief, then look to Camo. "Great job, buddy," I tell him. "Thanks for the assist."

"Not a problem," he replies, moving into my touch. "Scratch lower... little lower... left a bit... that's the spot!"

I laugh at him. "Glad I could help, I guess." "Oh trust me, you did," he claims, making a purring sound as I continue to pet him in his favoured spot. "I finally see the benefits to having fingers."

I laugh at his actions. "Shut up, is like to see you act tough when someone is practically massaging you," he says, tail swishing from side to side.