Chapter three: Breakfast with the devils

Just to get things straight, I am not a person who loves causing scenes. I don't even like being around too much drama and getting attention is totally not my thing. People give me one look and jump into conclusions that I'm this heartless girl who drives people away with the kind of looks I give them, bla bla bla. It's not my fault I have big eyes, blame it on my creator.

The reason I am explaining all of this is because of the two 'just married', 'newly weds', 'couple of the year' who are sitting directly in front of me acting lovey dovey. I want to rip the hair off their heads but then that will suck up too much of the energy I've been saving myself for the last month. By the time they even notice I'm standing in front of them, I'm boiling with so much rage, I could kill both of them with only my nails. They look cute, the kind of couple that can be crowned king and queen of prom. As much as it hurt me, I had to admit they looked lovely.

"Pinky, you made it, "her squeaky, almost annoying voice comes out and I resist the urge of covering my ears.

"Yeah, I'm glad I found the two of you. This place is lovely, "I say trying my best to act like them smiling and kissing each other right before me doesn't bother me at all.

"You're looking good Pinky, "David says eyeing my cleavage.

Men.

I almost scoff but I cover it up with a cough.

"Well, I would have said the same but my mama taught me never to lie, "I reply smiling sweetly at him, acting like I hadn't just said something that could ruin their days.

The silence that follows my statement is so long, I mentally applaud myself for my 'good work'. People who had seen David and Kirsty together for long had told me that it would take ages to get the two of them to shut up, but look at me, it had only taken a statement. The look on David's face is so priceless that I want to take a picture and keep it for the future just to laugh as I look at it.

"Okay everyone. Let's eat, "Kirsty says breaking the silence that I could almost swear had lasted five minutes.

Taking a seat, I wave at the waiter who quickly comes and takes our orders. You see, Kirsty and David had gone for their honeymoon in Campos, a city not too far from the city we live. For a whole month they basked in the warm sun, walked barefoot on the sandy beaches of the coastal town and took many photos, lots and lots of photos that had consumed too much of my time and data bundles just viewing them. Every night, I logged into my Instagram account, went to Kirsty's page where she had posted numerous photos updating us on how she was enjoying herself on her honeymoon. Their smiles, their laughter on each video, even the loving looks they were giving each other on the photos made me wish I never went away and left the two of them alone.

"We had so much fun Pinky, "Kirsty's voice pulls me out of my trance as I struggle to keep up with their conversation. Forging my very best plastic smile I tell her how happy I am for her and how much her happiness means a lot to me.

The waiter brings back my coffee and I waste no time in gulping it down together with the doughnuts they brought with it.

"Still the foodie ,I see, "David says and I internally roll my eyes at his pretence on still remembering tiny little details about me. Ignoring his statement, I look over to Kirsty who's busy ogling at her husband. Wasn't six years enough for her to ogle at him that she's doing it a month after getting married to him?

"Kirsty, I brought with me lots of fabrics from Atat that we could use in our next collection, "

"Right, I completely forgot I'm running a business, "she says chuckling softly, her dimples appearing on her cheeks. She was beautiful, maybe that's why David chose her over me.

"Yeah, we'll use it in our next collection that's supposed to be released in about six months. All we have to do is to come up with a pretty name that will capture the attention of our consumers and speed up the production process, "she says still smiling. Does marriage make people smile this much till they look stupid? I inwardly sigh at her actions and sip my coffee.

The moment I had known will come and had dreaded so  much comes when Kirsty announces that she is pressed and has to use the washrooms. One minute alone with David was enough for me to strangle him to his very last breath. As Kirsty walks away from the table, David leans in and smiles wickedly at me.

"If you love your life so much I'd suggest you just shut up and pretend I'm not here, "I threaten but deep down my heart is leaping  with joy. Deep down I want him to confess that he still loves me and that marrying my best friend was the worst mistake of his life. But that is not the case because the statement that follows next shocks me, I could swear my heart almost stopped.

"I'm working on getting Kirsty pregnant. It would be so good to have a mini version of the two of us don't you think so? "

I glare at him, making sure my eyes are throwing daggers at him. As much as I found it disrespectful , I also hated the fact that he told me what he just said. Who does that??

"Well good luck on that David,"I say taking out my phone and pretending to be busy texting someone. David looks at me pretending not to be bothered by my cleavage that was showing itself to anyone who wanted to look at it. I resist the urge of slapping him and pulling his eyes out.

By the time Kirsty comes back,my bag is already in my hand and I'm more than ready to walk out of their suffocating evil presence.

"I'll see you tomorrow in the office Kirsty,"I say standing up.

"Why so soon?"she asks but deep down I can tell she's happy that I'm finally leaving them.

"My daughter needs me,"and with that I put my sunglasses on and walk out of the diner.