Chapter Six:You know what, you're fired!

It's a chilly evening so I'm not surprised to find Mia snuggled up with her favourite teddy when I come from seeing Damien off.

She looks distant and let me not get started on how the little girl scares me to death when she has that look on her face.

"Mommy, "she finally breaks the silence, "what is my daddy like? Is he tall like Uncle Damien or short like Kevin Hart? "

Questions like this make me hate David the more. There's no single day that passes without me getting all emotional and imagining how happy a family we'd all have been if they didn't painfully rip my heart into two. This isn't the first time five year old Mia is asking me such questions and it's killing me inside to know that I'm debating on whether to tell her the truth or just lie to her but I end up lying to her anyway. But that didn't erase the fact that my baby girl is practising her comedy skills and that alone makes me proud to be her mother.

"Baby, you know we shouldn't be talking about such things, "I tell her soothingly in all attempts to change the topic at hand. David is still a sore topic that I just can't talk about anytime or with anyone especially not my daughter. The guy doesn't even know he got me paged and that he has a daughter who is the spiting image of him. Apparently, I am doing a great job at keeping Mia's identity a secret.

"But I want to know him. Everyone in my day care has a daddy who brings them to school and goes ahead to kiss them goodbye. Some of the bullies in school have even started making fun of me and calling me a fatherless girl, "by the time she's done with her speech, tears are trickling down her oval shaped face and it's taking everything inside me to not start plotting David's death. My baby girl is hurt and not by some stranger, but by her own father whom she has no idea is her father. I knew Damien showing up out of the blue would cause Mia to start feeling things she shouldn't because she's always seen Damien as her father. I guess telling a five year old that the man they've adored isn't their father, it sure causes them too much hurt.

"No baby. No one should make you feel bad just cause you don't have a father, "

"You're not helping you know! "

Okay, I know she's upset and that this father thingie is really getting into her but I'm still her mother and she has no right to address me the way she's currently doing. Besides, she's a freaking five year old, where on earth does she get the balls to talk to me like that!

"Mia, you're really pushing mommy and you know she doesn't like it, "I tell her in a warning tone. She flinches and her hurt is written all over her face. Oh no little girl, you don't get to go all hell on me then act like I'm the one who hurt you. She pouts, the kind of pout that's really cute and the kind that is made to make me forget that I'm mad at her and let it all slide.

I sigh dramatically at her dramatics knowing very well where she got them from and pat the spot besides me.

"Mia, you know daddy or no daddy we are going to be okay. As a matter of fact we are okay. Don't let those bullies get into you, okay, "she nods .I know she still isn't satisfied with my answers but I promised myself that someday when I get the courage and strength, I'll tell her all about her daddy. Switching her bedroom lights off, I whisper her good night and close the door behind me.

*

As much as I love seeing his face, I loathe it with so much passion at the same time. I hate seeing him happy, I hate it when he gives me that wicked smile, hell I even hate it when we get to breathe the same air. Today happens to be the day I make my presentation and I can't help but wish the earth opens and swallows me alive. My inconsiderate partner or should I say ex best friend invited him over for the meeting and when I asked her why she did that without my consent, she had the guts to tell me that she owns two thirds of the company so she had every right to do anything without asking for permission. The nerve of that bitch!