Chapter Seven

She arches her perfectly shaped eyebrow at me and I can't help but feel intimidated. She's my friend, yeah but the look she is giving me right now makes me wish I was anywhere but here, close to her with only a table between us. Somebody ought to hear my cry for help!

"What? I'm I dating your brother? "I mentally slap myself at the stupid question I just asked. I was dating her brother, right before he was taken away from me or rather walked away from what we had.

"Oooh, you were, but you don't anymore, "Chelsea says throwing me a murderous look. News sure travels so fast because one time I'm walking out of the company's cafeteria and the next thing I know is I'm sitting in a cafe two blocks away from the company with my only friend who apparently wants to kill me for firing a girl who happens to be a relative of theirs.

"Come on Chel, I didn't know she was your family. Besides she called me a bitch and had the nerve to compare me to your sister in law! "

"You can as well call me Sea, that won't prevent me from telling you the truth, "she pauses ."Well aren't you her. Last time I checked Kirsty didn't roll with employees or people lower than her class. Today you did the same thing as her. Doesn't that make you her? " She yells and for a moment I can't figure out why the hell she is yelling. What is it with people comparing me to Kirsty today?

"Woaah woah easy there tigress. I've done so much shit in my life, but I'm not and will never be Kirsty,"

She sighs and takes a seat still maintaining eye contact. I remember the last time she looked at me like that ,things didn't end well. We were in junior highschool and David had just asked me out but being Pinky, I'd taken off as soon as the words came out of his mouth. Chelsea searched the whole school for me and when she found me, she went all Alpha female on me, blaming me for making his only brother cry. I'll admit that really took me back. David Stone cried, and not just for any girl,but for me Well that was years ago and would probably never ever happen again.

Back to where we are now, Chelsea looks like she's said something which I didn't get. That alone, makes her so angry she wants to pour the hot sauce all over my face. God, this girl's got issues bigger than the Kardashians.

"You'll do one thing for me honey, you'll go back to that office and give my cousin her job back!"

"But, she's already fired, "I say stuffing a burger into my mouth.

"Off you go honey pie. She has a kid who needs to be fed just like yours, "she literally chases me away.

***
When I was six, I broke my mother's favourite Chinese vase and all hell broke loose in that house. My mother couldn't contain her anger because by the moment I came back to my senses, I was standing before my father, who by the way was holding a whip, being told to go apologize to my mother. I tried honestly, to say sorry for breaking her vase which up to now she says went with a part of her,but there was something in me that told me that it wasn't my fault and that I was still a kid, so I didn't owe anyone an apology for doing something I had no control over. Besides, it was her fault anyway. Who sends a six year old kid a vase that heavy and expects them to deliver it to them safely? Let's just say I have issues when it comes to apologizing, especially when I know it's not my fault. Intact, I'd rather die or make an enemy out of you forever, but never apologize. So when Chelsea, who knows I have an issue apologizing, tells me to go apologize to her cousin, I can't help but threaten to chop her husband's balls the day she gets married. Who says that to the only friend they have?

Right, Pinky Taylor.

Making my way to the company,my mind is in between apologizing to the girl and giving her her job back or refusing to apologize and making Chelsea make an enemy out of me forever. My mind settles for the first choice and I sigh inwardly knowing that this was going to be a very long ten minutes of righting my wrongs as Chelsea puts it.

I find the said girl in my office, blowing her nose, eyes blood shot and hair resembling Geoffrey's , the homeless guy down the street. My heart goes out to her and I can feel her breaking my walls slowly by slowly.

"Please, just give me my job back. I won't do anything that will anger you. I won't even suggest we be friends again but basically we should establish a relationship as employee and employer... "

Wait,is this girl rambling, making promises for that matter? Just hours ago, she was calling me a bitch and comparing me to Kirsty. I can't with her like totally. To what extent can people go just to get what they want?

"What was your name again? "I asked.

"Melly, ma'am, "she answers so politely, I almost laugh. Humans!

"Oooh.. So I'm ma'am now. Hours ago, I was a bitch,"

"Look, we may have kinda started off on a rough patch..."

I laugh so hard, tears come from my eyes. I don't even know why I'm laughing in the first place, is it because she called me ma'am or because I had expected her to call me names which she didn't.

"Rough? Honey you called me a bitch in my own company. Who does that, especially if they have a three year old to feed? "

"So you know," she says making it sound like a question when it's really a statement.

"You're the reason my only friend thinks I'm like Kirsty. So yeah, I had to know. Besides, I was so curious as to why she was so interested in you and the things she told me. Oh My Melly, if I were you I'd never say to my boss half the things you said to me, "

"Pinky, just please give me my job back. I'll be on my best behaviour, I promise,"she says and for a second I remember myself in that position after giving birth to Mia. No job, no one to depend on and nowhere to go because I was in a foreign land. I couldn't let another mother go through what I went through no matter how angry I was at them so I told her she had her job and that she could start officially on Monday.

Nothing made me happier than seeing my fellow woman, a mother happy. A mother's happiness is a child's happiness. With that, I went home knowing I had made the best decision and another lifetime friend.