Chapter Twelve

Six years ago

The cold air bites into my skin as I fumble with the trench coat covering my body. Tears sting my eyes not because someone hurt my feelings, but because of the harsh weather surrounding me. The snow falling to the ground does not make it any easier for me to walk in my signature six heeled boots. My feet are killing me and I can't wait to reach our destination so that I can finally sit my ass down.

"Who's stupid pathetic idea was it to walk to a winter party in the middle of the night," I finally ask not being able to torture my head with the question anymore.

No one answers which makes me turn my head sideways to look at my two partners in crime. One of them my best friend,the other my boyfriend's sister. My future in-law. I want to laugh at the title I had just given her but then there could be a possibility of me finding myself in the Stone family for good.

Kirsty curses the cold under her breath causing Chelsea to giggle. Aaah, Chelsea. Always the one to find humour in everything.

"Did you want us to get caught?" Kirsty asks and I scoff. We're still going to get caught even if we don't use one of our cars to this party. Our parents were the most strict people I had ever met. Asking for permission to attend a party was like talking to a deaf person expecting response which made us sneak to all parties. But since lady luck was never on our side,we were caught almost all the time sneaking back into the house in the wee hours of the morning. Not even grounding us and denying us our allowances deterred us from attending these parties. This being the last party I'd attend before I went to Atat to start my job, I couldn't miss it by any chance. So I put on my favourite pair of denim shorts, my "Freaky Friday"  crop top and my six inch heeled boots,a gift from my father before he left us for a younger version of my mother. Her sister. The memory brings tears to my eyes and I furiously blink them away.

Well. That's a story for another day.

"Kirs, we're still going to get caught you know. We didn't have to suffer this assaulting cold when all we'll find we sneak into our rooms is our parents staring at us," I say pulling the coat closer to my body.

"I know right," Chelsea chirps in,the frown on her face clearly indicating her irritation, "We're still going to get caught anyway. We should have just used my car. At least my parents aren't that strict."

Kirsty snorts in the most unladylike manner while I gape at Chelsea's words. Yeah sure. Not that strict.

" We almost spent the night in a police station because of them! And you say they are not that strict. I need a fucking drink," Kirsty says. I can't stand the continuous bickering of the girls so I turn to face them. My eyes are glistening with mischief and my heart beats peacefully in my chest knowing what I'm going to say next is going to put them in a good mood.

"Girls, it's our last party together. So let's make the most of it. Fuck being afraid of being caught. Again. It won't be the first time anyway. So I suggest we go to that party and show those snobbish kids how to party. Okay darlings." Kirsty is still gawking at me. I don't need to look at Chelsea to know she's crying because I can clearly hear her sniffing. Looks like my words have done their job.  I smile triumphantly at the two girls. Linking my arms to them,we walk in a comfortable silence the rest of the way to the party.

********
Warm air envelopes me the moment I step inside the house. David's house.

My boyfriend's house to be more specific.

His parents have gone to a business trip so what better way than throwing the last party to kiss away our highschool life. Soon everybody will be joining a university of their choice,well those who were lucky enough to get admitted into one, and throwing a party was a good way of spending our last moments together. Since neither my mother nor I could afford sending me to a university, I done odd jobs while in my senior year with hopes of saving for college but my efforts were proved futile when I saw the fee structure. Not even a half of my tuition fee could be covered  by my savings. So when I saw an advertisement in the magazine looking for a junior designer and the pay was something I could survive with, I didn't think twice about applying for it. The problem was that the job was in another country and that meant leaving behind my friends and family. The thought made me sad but I had to do everything to make ends meet.

David didn't want to hear anything about me going to Atat. When I told him about my plan, hell broke loose in that cafe and I could swear I saw people filming us. David broke everything before him,including the chairs. The next thing I saw was the table being flipped with only one of his hands. I couldn't hide my astonishment. My face flushed in embarrassment the moment I saw phones lifted up in my direction. It took everything in me not to leave David alone yelling in the cafe so I endured his harsh words and anger hoping that'd make him better at the end of it all. What made him more furious was the fact that I outwardly refused his parent's offer of giving me a full scholarship to school. They had done so much for me, seeing me through highschool and sometimes fending for me and my mother. Even though they said I wouldn't be bothering them at all with the scholarship, I knew it was my turn to stand on my own two feet and depend on myself. So I politely refused the scholarship.

To say the least, my mother was more than upset with my decision. I tried to tell her it was for the best but all she kept saying was that she was my mother and that she was the one supposed to provide for me. Not the other way round. But I had already made up my mind and there was no turning back.

My mind is brought back to the present when the music blasts fully across the room. Bodies huddles together in the space in the living room. Couples grinding against each other in the name of dancing while others make out crazily like there's no tomorrow. Teenagers drinking the night away,having fun like they will never party again. It was a typical teenage party,there was no doubt about that.

"Hey babe," David's ever sweet voice breaks me from my thoughts and it takes me a second to realize that both my friends had already left me standing alone like a fool. My eyes rake David's body up and down and the sight before me is sure one I'd never get tired of beholding. Dressed casually in a pair of black ripped jeans and white tee David made me look like I made no effort in looking good. We continue staring at each other and I can't count how many minutes we had spent playing this eye contact game. From a distance I could hear a voice whistling and telling us to get a room. I roll my eyes because I knew who exactly it was.

Kirsty.

David links our arms together and leads us to a couch. Before I can even protest,he pulls me to his lap and inches our faces closer. Looking deeply into his eyes,I can't help but come to the conclusion that him and I are going to do more than just kiss at this party.