Chapter Thirteen

"I don't need nobody's fake ass standing up for me," I say throwing back another shot of Hennessey. The liquid burns as it makes its way down my throat. The shock on her face is evident, not even that stupid fake smile she had on her face could erase the fact that my words had caught her off guard.

"Why you gotta make everything about you Pink?" she says clearly irritated by my words.

To my happiness.

"You think this is about me? My daughter is about to be taken away from me. For five years all I've done was be the mother and father to my family. All I've done for everybody was good and you think this is about me? Paah- lease!"

When she showed up at my doorstep,extravagantly dressed like she has always been for the past three years,the least I was expecting to hear from her mouth was how to be a good mother to her granddaughter. The one she'd said she'd never want to see. The one she called a bastard child.. The one she never held in her arms. How did she even know where I live?

Memories of the phone call I'd made to her six years ago,telling her that I was pregnant, came back flooding my mind. She had always been a good pretender,before everyone else,including me,but on that night she revealed to me her true colours.

"I worked so damn hard for you to get there and this is how you repay me? By getting pregnant?" She'd yelled into the phone I had just borrowed to deliver the message.

Bitch whaaaaaat!

I busted my ass day and night to get that visa and find my way out of this town to find a better life and she'd dared say that it was all her. Getting credit for something she had no contribution to? I fought back the tears in my eyes as she continued yelling into the phone,calling me a bitch and a whore amongst other disgusting names. I would have cried, had it not been for the person standing next to me,his vicious eyes boring into mine,silently warning me to get the fuck off his phone soon or he'll do something he won't regret. Hmph!

So much for a good samaritan!

"You know what,do whatever you want with that bastard in your womb. I don't ever want to see it, touch it or have anything to do with it."

I'd have yelled back, tell her how inconsiderate and inhumane she was but I didn't. Instead I worked my ass off, got all the money I could ever ask for and offered her a luxurious life she could never have afforded even if she was given two lifetimes to do so.

So to say that I'm not surprised she popped out of no where and paid me a surprise visit would be a big lie. Just like my whole life,right? From the moment she started acting like I meant nothing to her,I came to the conclusion that I don't know this woman. Never have, never will.

"Pink we're family-"

"Then you should have acted like one five years ago before I left town," I cut her before she even finished her statement. Fighting with my own mother has never been something I've wanted to do. I've seen Kirsty quarrel with her mother and it wasn't a sight to witness. At all.

"Maybe if you had not opened your legs for a man who doesn't want anything to so with you, we wouldn't have been in this position in the first place."

I groan loud enough for the whole house to hear.

She didn't say that. I know she didn't just rub it on my face the fact that David dumped me.

The sad truth was,she did rub it on my face and by her expression on her face, I knew she knew what to say just to hurt me.

"You know ever since dad left us I knew something in you changed, but I couldn't put a finger on it. You managed to hide it beneath your overly made up face the fact that you hated me so much. Just like you hated dad after he left. Why? Because I look just like him? The eye colour, the jet black hair or is it the fact that he left us for your sister,who loved me more than you ever did. Ooh! I know why, because each and every night he did things to me. Things you wished he'd do to you,right mom?"

In my head,I had always pictured how the conversation with my mother would turn out to be when we meet for the first time after what? Six years? But nothing ever came close to what I was currently witnessing before my eyes. Us using each other's weak spots just to hurt each other wasn't even in the picture in my head. The tears she is fighting so hard to avoid falling from her eyes are a clear evidence that my father did hurt her more than I can imagine and me going down memory lane and bringing what she had strived so hard to bury was clearly hurting her more. Why should I even care? She'd also hurt me with her words. But what was I expecting? I was dealing with a human being,wasn't I? You give them a taste of their own medicine,they tell everyone you poisoned them. So I'm not even surprised that my mother is all teary when I mentioned something to do with my father when seconds ago,she'd just rubbed it on my face the fact that David dumped me.

"You know,I was the happiest person when daddy left us,care to know why?" Her eyes flew open the moment I finished my statement. She knew exactly what I was going to say but her teary eyes looked at me sympathetically, silently pleading me not to say the words she knew I was going to say. The memories haunted me every day I closed my eyes. My father had always been a good pretender,just like my mom. I guess it was that similarity that made them get married to each other. Things in our house were never peaceful like they always seemed to be outside the house. He was a rich man,there was no doubt about that,but there was nothing rich about the man's character. He showered us with luxury,spoilt us with expensive vacations and to everybody's eyes,including my friends,he was the perfect father. But people are so quick to judge someone basing on their outside appearance, and that's what they did with my father. They didn't know what went on inside the walls of our house, how he beat my mother up,the countless number of times he came to my room drunk or the uncountable number of women he brought to our house,until he settled for my aunt. I couldn't sleep at night knowing my father took away my innocence each and every night, and surprisingly to the knowledge of my mother. So when he left us without even a goodbye,I was beyond myself with happiness. But with the departure of my father, came all the hardships and struggles of life. Because when he walked out of our lives,he brought along with him his money and wealth.

"You and your daddy did nasty things behind my back and you dare put the blame on me. Pink, I'm not to blame for your stupidity ," she spits harshly straightening her back.

"Screw you and screw my daddy. Each and every night you knew what he did to me, yet somehow it never bothered you to do something about it. And why? Because him doing that deviated his attention from you right? Because him doing that made him not beat you up? For a mother, that's a very sick move. All of you are sooo sick," I screamed.

The crocodile tears flowing down her eyes,which were supposed to make me feel guilty, did the exact opposite. I hated her.

No. I loathed her.

With every fibre in my being. And her crying before the Stone family in the airport, begging me not to go, saying she was the one supposed to take care of me not the other way round,was all part of her pretence game. A show she was willing to put up just to hide who she really was behind that tear stricken face of hers. And the day I called her,to inform her of my pregnancy.. Was the day I realized who she really is. Nothing, absolutely nothing will make me forget all the things she has and hasn't done anything.

"Get the hell out of my house and never show your face to me. Again. Your monthly allowances will be deposited in your account, because I know that's what's keeping you around here anyway," shock is written all over her face the moment I say those words. Her eyes glistening with moisture looking at me sympathetically.

So many years late. I needed that sympathy years ago. Not now.

"Pink-"

"I'm sure you know your way out," I say throwing back another shot of the scorching liquid,"And oh, my name is Pinky.. Not Pink. Have a nice life.. Mom."