Promises

"Strangers turns into Friends...

Friends turns into Best Friends...

Best friends turns into...

Memories..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Huh? So the abandoned music room was all cleaned up?" Dawn asked me when I told her what I saw.

"Yeah," I said when we both started walking home together. "And I have no idea who did it."

"Well it could be the janitor," Dawn pointed out.

"I thought of that too, but come to think of it, I never seen the music room cleaned for some many years... It's Abandoned! And do we even have a janitor?"

"I don't know," Dawn popped a piece of candy into her mouth. "Maybe the principal have decided to clean it up. I mean, anybody could possibly clean that up."

"You might be right," I mumbled.

Dawn stopped. "Hey Serena, how's your 'situation?'"

I stopped walking and faced towards her. "Situation?" Then I got confused. "What situation?"

"The 'incident' from 4 years ago," Dawn said quietly. I immediately knew what she was talking about. "I mean how do you feel about it?"

I looked down at my black shoes and the autumn leaves that were scattered on the sidewalk. I closed my eyes. The wind was getting stronger each day and the temperature has gotten colder. Soon, it's going to snow in a few days. I looked back up and gave her my signature smile, "It's going to be just fine. I mean, it has been a few years... I don't think it will affect me like it did back then."

Dawn looked unconvinced," Are you sure?"

"Sure," I proudly said in my fake cheerful voice. "You don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine." I started to turn back to continue walking.

"So how come you still go to the music room everyday during lunch?" Dawn's question stopped me in my footsteps. I didn't say anything back, but I only stood there, like a statue. The silence enveloped us as the wind were playing with our long hair. "Sometimes when you visit there, there's this blank look on your face. I couldn't tell what it means to you, but to me it looks like you still want to hold onto your 'passion.' Like you don't want to be separated from it. And it scares me because it looks like you're torturing yourself, during all these years... Just by staring at an abandoned room..." I started to hear whimpering. "I don't want you to suffer, not during our last year here in middle school. Not again... Please... Don't leave me!"

I widened my eyes and turned around to see Dawn, tears streaming down her face. I got onto my heel and ran toward to her, putting my arms open wide. I ran to her and gave her a huge, tight hug, something that I haven't done for awhile.

"You idiot. Why would you think something like that?" I slightly chuckled. "You know I would never do that."

I released the hug; Dawn sniffled and wiped her tears with both of her sleeves. She looked up with her pink eyes she have gotten from crying. "Promise that you will at least try to live?"

I half smiled,"Promise. I'll try hard."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I silently walked home after I waved bye to Dawn when we reached to her place. It's already sunset. The sky were filled with colors of blue, purple, and orange. 'It's an amazing sight,' I smiled to myself. But then I frowned, remembering my promise to Dawn.