Missing Pieces

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There are more hardships in life than the things that we can enjoy..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

And the pattern continues, with the sounds of the clock. It's almost dawn and Gary left no more than half an hour ago. I waited for the coming of my mother, who promised to be here before I call it a night.

I stared at the bland ceiling, not knowing what else to do. Then I decided to collect myself from what happened today. The music room, the accident, the conversations. I thought back at Gary's words before he left.

"Okay. I'll be going now. Your mom should be here in a few," Gary grasped the door's handle with the other hand in the air. "See ya!"

I silently nodded at him as he begin to leave.

"Oh wait! I almost forgot," he stopped his footsteps onto the doorway, but didn't face toward me.

I raised an eyebrow at his actions. But what Gary said caught me off guard.

"Ash plays the guitar. That's why he's in the music room."

I widened my eyes at his statement, surprised he knew one of my questions in mind. Is he a mind reader? I thought.

"Heh! No, I'm no mind reader," Gary chuckled as shock filled my veins. "But I just thought it would be something that I would let you know."

Then he left.

I closed my eyes to rest. So the famous Ash Ketchum plays the guitar. That would explain the music that I have been hearing during that day.

Ash Ketchum was the one student who's known to be the star of the school's soccer team. Scored many goals and won numerous games. He's most likely going to pursue a good future if he keep up like this.

But a guitarist?

"Sweetie?" I heard a knock and saw my mom at the door in her office clothes. She used to be an amazing animal racer in the past, but after having me, she decided to notch it down.

"Mom?" I called out to her. She came by my side and touched my head with her hand.

"Are you okay, Serena?" Mom worridly asked, fearing for the worst.

I gave her a faint smile. "I'm fine. It was just an small accident."

"But your head is bleeding!" She countered as she began to examine my wrapped bandage.

"Just a little," I calmly said. "I should be out in the morning tomorrow."

"Oh okay," she said in relief. "That's good to hear. But who did this?"

"Um... Gary," I replied with tinge of nervousness.

"Gary...Oak?"

"Yup. That's the one," I confirmed to her as she gave me a confused look.

"But Gary is a great kid. Why would he do something like that?"

"Again, it's an accident," I reminded her.

She suddenly laughed. "Silly me. Of course it's an accident. I'm really forgetful aren't I?"

I silently nodded with amusement. Then I told her the events of my accident and she giggled along the way.

"Gary is so clumsy sometimes," she's still laughing. "And Dawn, she's really cute when she gets angry. She got it from her mom."

"Ha. That's true," I chuckled remembering the good old times when we were younger.

"And you said Ash was playing an instrument?"

This caught my full attention. "Well yes. That what Gary told me."

"Hmm... I don't recall him liking music when I still had contact with his family. He seemed like a child who loves to play around a lot."

Her words shocked me. "Wait what?!"

My family used to be friends with his?! Who else did I used to become friends with back then?!

"Huh? What's the matter Serena?" My mother concerned voice was heard.

"Wait. Have you met him before?" I questioned her.

"Well of course I have," she answered my question. "We all did."

"We did?" I tilted my head at her.

"Yeah. We first met them at Professor Oak's summer camp. Don't you remember that?"

"Well I do remember attending that camp and a lot of memories I made there too. But it feels like there are some parts missing."

Probably he's part of them.

"Ah. I see," she said nonchalantly. Mom got up and grabbed her bag that's been sitting on the chair.

"You're probably forgetting a lot of stuff, like I do, Serena," Mom remarked, making me feel unsatisfied with her answer. "I'll talk to you more about this later if you want to."

"But--" I couldn't see her face, realizing my eyelids were closing for the night.

"Shh. Right now," she bend over and kissed my forehead, "you need a lot of rest. That pain in the head won't go away by itself you know."

"Fine," I gave in as she tucked me in the blankets and walked to the doorway.

"Night, Sere. See you tomorrow," she whispered and slowly shut the door.

"Night, mom," I said as sleepiness began to take over my body.

No one's POV

The night sky is out with starry stars laying out, brightly. Few dark clouds were out, but one of them blocked the shining moon.

Grace walked onto the path to her place, thinking back about Serena.

"...it feels like there are some parts missing..."

That's what she said.

So Serena doesn't remember a thing. Grace thought silently.

She stopped. Halfway from home are greenery fields, grasses flowing with the wind. The breeze brought the woman's hair slightly upward, away from her shoulders.

Grace looked up at the covered moon with tiny tears on the corner of her eyes.

"Is it best to not let her know about what happened between her and Ash's relationship back then? Or is it a mistake, big enough to ruin a daughter's life?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N After a month or so, here's the sixth chapter. Take note that there could be possible errors since it's so hard to update when you're in a place without Wi-Fi. And that would explain why this is the shortest chapter I made so far. I'll try my best to update this book ASAP! And don't forget to vote and comment.

If you enjoyed this book, try checking out my other books.😃

See ya guys, till next time.

~ari_sheepie