iii. THE PAST

***

The next day, Haruko didn't show up to class. One of her cousins called and said that her father was dying and she should come down quick. Well, that was what Boruto heard. Mitsuki didn't believe it one bit.

Mitsuki knew he had to find where Haruko went but he had a plan – no, a mission to follow. He knew he was watching and he couldn't back down. At the end of the day, he had to find her before Sumire gets away.

–•–

Sumire watched outside as Nue formed, causing a rampage. She frowned as she knew what was going to happen next. She was going to make a sacrifice but it was going to be worth it. In the end, she fufuills her father's dream.

"This was how Konoha is going to end, huh?"

Sumire didn't need to turn around. She knew that voice. "Haruko. I see you're back from the Rain."

"I never left the Leaf, Sumire. You know well of that!" Haruko yelled. "You used me! You were going to steal my chakra!"

"It was needed so Nue can become strong!" Sumire cried, turning around. "You said you were going to help me. All those years ago, you promised!"

Haruko stood there silently. She did promise. Back then, her clan taught Haruko all about how Konoha was just a place filled with idiots and terrible shinobi. She was taught that the only good shinobi in the world was from her clan. She was taught that only the weak are followers.

They lied to her.

"I never realized what a place the Hidden Leaf was back then," Haruko said slowly. She looked down at the ground. "We were both taught to hate this village. We were born to destroy it. You've lived here longer than I have and I realized what a somewhat good place Konoha is."

Sumire scoffed, "yeah right. I bet Boruto rubbed that on you."

"In the Hidden Rain, you never saw the sky. You never saw real nature, you never saw real people," Haruko walked forward. "Everything was fake, but here . . . this is a place where everything is real. There's no fake smiles or fake friends Though, in reality, there probably is, but my point is we shouldn't do this anymore."

Sumire threw a kunai knife at Haruko, who caught it with two fingers. "Stop denying your heart because of your father. He was a bad man and you know it."

"Shut up!" Sumire shouted, causing Haruko to stop walking. "My father was nothing like yours! He loved me enough to trust me. He knew I could end Konoha and bring forth a new era."

"Listen to yourself, Sumire! This isn't like you!"

"You don't know me!" Tears began to form in Sumire's eyes. "I've changed. You keep thinking I'm the same, weak Sumire. The same Sumire who couldn't keep up with your training. The same Sumire who came crying to you when I fell down. I'm stronger and I can beat you!"

Sumire turned around, aiming her fist at Haruko's face. Haruko just frowned, jumping back as the image of the curse mark burned into her brain. It was beautiful but the truth behind it was devastating. Sumire made a hand sign, which immediately made Haruko focus.

Water bullets flew over to Haruko. The girl moved swiftly over to the right and ran to the girl. Haruko knew the dark energy was surrounding Sumire and with the amount of chakra Haruko has, it would make Nue extremely powerful.

"Wind Style: Breakthrough."

A gust of wind blew and Haruko fell to the ground. Sumire struggled to keep her balance as she was at the edge of the cliff. Haruko scoffed as she knew who exactly caused the jutsu.