xxvii. GENIN EXAMS

***

"Okay, pencils down!" Shino-sensei called out. "I'll be collecting your tests."

Haruko opened her eyes. She had been sleeping for a while since, in her opinion, the test was easy. Majority of the class cheated, since that was the game plan. Even Class Rep and Sarada cheated, the two girls who you would never except to do such a thing. Haruko got her hands on the test questions and cringed. "This is what they're going to be giving us? Wow..."

"Haruko, you were asleep?" Boruto asked. "Did you sleep through the exam?"

"No, I finished then fell asleep," Haruko mumbled. "It was a breeze. I never stopped to think even for a second."

"I saw you struggling to write the date," Ichiro sighed. "It took you five minutes before you asked us..."

Haruko turned bright pink. "Ichiro..."

Everyone laughed. Boruto smiled brightly. "That test was so easy. I didn't even need to study."

"You're so awesome, Boruto!" Metal Lee exclaimed, "but I'm not going to lose! I'm going to go all out on the practical application exam tomorrow!" Everyone turned to watch Metal Lee shrunk. "Ugh, I'm starting to get nervous right now..."

"No need to get so scared," Boruto said. "A test isn't a big deal anyways. In any case, it's probably not going to be that hard. Let's wrap this up and become ninja already!" He stood up, his fists up in the air.

Shino-sensei stared at the two papers he finished marking, both with huge 100's on the top. He placed his hand on his chin. "Boruto Uzumaki and Haruko Saitou got a perfect score, eh? They're quite kids."

Shino-sensei turned nervously. "Lord Sixth! When did you-?!"

"Though, I think Boruto is a bit too confident while the other isn't."

-•-

"It's so early!" Haruko groaned. Eiji nodded along side her.

"It's noon, you two..." Ichiro muttered, a disappointed look on his face. "We're about to become shinobi and all you two seem to have on your minds is sleep?"

"The exam is overrated. They're making it too much of a big deal," Eiji said. "Yeah, it's super exciting, but the teachers are pushing it a bit too far."

"That's because becoming a shinobi isn't just some job, it's something dangerous!" Ichiro scolded. "You'll have to go fight enemies and steal scrolls and kill people!"

"It's a time of peace, Ichiro," Eiji yawned, "the only crime being committed is identity stealing and jaywalking. When war breaks, it'll be when we're older. We can have fun now."

"Everyone looks pretty carefree..." The three looked up and saw Konohamaru, Shino, and Abiko. They jumped down.

"I'm going to explain the rules for the final practical application exam. First, tie this white bandana around your head." Shino held up the white bandana. "It represents your life. If it's taken from you, you fail."

"The exam will be conducted as an actual combat situation," Konohamaru spoke. "The arena is this entire forest. You will be battling us and the time limit is 24 hours."