xxii. THE TRUTH

***

"Princess!" A voice yelled. Haruko turned around, her red hair flowing. She was wearing a blue collar shirt and black shorts, her school uniform. She was standing on top on of water when she was called. One of her father's comrades ran up to her. "Your father summons you."

Haruko grimaced, "do you perhaps know the reason why?"

"No, princess," he bowed down. Haruko could feel the disgusted look on his face. "Sorry."

Haruko waved her hand. "It's okay. Go do whatever you're supposed to do."

"Yes!"

Haruko walked over to her father's headquarters, something she dreaded. It wasn't the best place to be in and whenever she summoned, she always got scolded. She opened the door. "You called?"

"Haruko, please sit," Daichi ordered, motioning her to the chair in front of his desk. His office was surprisingly clean and organized. She sat down, wondering why in the world her father is talking to her in such a kind manner. "I have a mission for you."

"A mission?" Haruko asked. "I'm too young to go out on a mission!"

"Lower your voice!" He barked. "This is serious, Haruko. This is the only time in your entire life will you ever be used for something as important as this!" Haruko looked down. "Good. Now, this mission isn't like any genin type of mission, it's far superior. It's more of an ANBU or Kage level. This isn't a choice. You are to obey every order you are given. Am I clear?"

"Yes, sir," Haruko muttered.

"Rumors have it that Hidden Mist ninjas are coming to attack the Academy. You, and only you, are to stop them."

"Why?" Haruko asked, clearly showing fear. "I'm 10! There's no way I can defeat them!"

"That curse mark of yours can," Daichi pointed to her arm. "If you win, we'll be big on the news. We get more income and you will be more useful to us."

"And what if I lose?"

"We get rid of you! So, it's a win-win!" Daichi exclaimed. "They are to hit next Monday, remember that." He stood up.

"Are you sure that you know everything about this?" Haruko asked, still very unsure about the whole situation.

Instead of the usual yelling that she would receive, she got a low whisper that only made her feel worse. "Trust me."

***

Haruko sat in a dark room, her eyes empty. Her mouth was covered with duct tape and her body was wrapped in rope. Her bangs covered half of her face. She heard the door open but she didn't react.

She didn't see clearly as her vision was blurry, but she could make out the color blue. The tape was carefully ripped and the rope was immediately cut. The person helped her up, wrapping their arm around her waist.

"Wake up," they whispered in her ear. "It's okay. You're safe."

Haruko blinked, her vision becoming clear. She looked up, still feeling empty. The expression Mitsuki gave pained her as she looked down.