Chapter 8 - Rebellion

Even though Hans insisted for us to travel in his car, we still stuck to Liana's motorbike because we were afraid this could be a ploy to get us both back and trapped in the kingdom. We needed a faster and easier means of escape on time, and Liana's bike was our only way.

On our way, as I clung to Liana, I realised that there was something different - probably, magical - about the vehicles that these werewolves used. We were almost invisible, and Liana was driving with a speed that nearly made my teeth chatter. We had left Hans behind a long time ago, but Liana wasn't slowing down at all. She was driving insanely fast, and so was Hans. But the way Liana manoeuvred through the traffic swiftly without anyone noticing was what had me in awe.

"The faster we go, the sooner we're going to get done with this," Liana had murmured when we had just started our journey.

"I'm actually feeling bad and worried, as if I just punished my child for a wrong reason - I don't even know if that's the right analogy." I said, frowning as I felt guilty for not being there in the Werewolf Kingdom with my people, "Do you feel it too?"

"Yes, I do. I don't know what the right thing to do is. As the High-ranking Lunas, it is our duty to stay back in the kingdom and take care of our people - but we are just running away from our responsibilities."

Everything was suddenly so different for me - I had people who were looking up to me now. I had people I was responsible for.

If only my relationship with my mate had been different, this process would have been much easier for both of us.

We soon realised that as we neared the MoonLine. Something felt horribly wrong with the air, and I felt as if my stomach was upset. I just wanted to move closer to the source quickly and yank it away right from its roots. There was panic, there was anger, there was grief, and so many other emotions that I had to take in a deep breath and calm myself down. Liana seemed to feel the same; she sped up and this time I didn't give two shits about my teeth chattering or my cheeks splitting wide.

When Liana brought the bike to a halt, I was almost annoyed. But then I looked around and found myself in between a familiar forest, and now it was time to hide the bike behind the bushes and cross the line.

We both took in a deep breath, not waiting for Hans to come and guide us. We started moving forward, and with every step, the gut wrenching terror curled up more and more inside me. Soon, Liana shifted beside me, and we both broke into a sprint to reach as fast as we could till we finally reached the borders of the Werewolf territory.

"He's guarding the perimeter," Liana whispered, pointing to a wolf, when we hid behind a tree so that the guards wouldn't find us.

"It seems so," I murmured back. "But why are we hiding from him?"

"Because we don't know for whom he is on the watch. It could be us." She peered at him again.

"Why us?" I whispered in confusion.

"He could have been given the orders to catch us and take us to the Alpha King. If we go inside on our own, without getting caught, there are higher chances for both of us to be able to come back. But once we are caught, neither the King, nor the Prime is going to let us go back across the MoonLine."

I just nodded my head.

"And another thing," She murmured when the guard was still looking around, "You try to stay hidden as much as you can. Show yourself only and only when I really, really need you - which I'm sure I will, at some point of time."

This time, the guard was out of sight. When I actually turned back to look at Liana, I realised that I was actually mind-linking her wolf.

Weird. I didn't even realise.