Chapter 37 - Separating Ways

We woke up in each other's arms, and this was so much different than how we woke up in each other's arms when I was in my heat. My head was resting on his chest - half of my body was sprawled on him. His arms were around me, holding me tight, and his nose was buried in my hair. We didn't sleep a wink last night and even though we were - mostly - physically connected the entire time, I was healed emotionally, too.

Adrian would never be able to take Aiden's place in my heart - Goddess, I loved that man despite what he had done to my parents and me - but I knew Adrian was the one who would help me let go of him.

And that was yet another point. I wanted to let go of Aiden on my own, not with my other mate's help.

I kept taking in huge breaths, taking as much of his scent as I could. I didn't know when I was going to come back - if I would be able to come back at all.

Who knew what Moon Goddess had planned for her favourite girl?

"Don't think too much, " Adrian murmured in my hair, "What's meant to be is meant to be."

I cuddled closer to him, as if that was even possible.

It was easy to know what he was thinking - he was savoring these moments, the loving murmurs, our skin on skin, our bodies fitting together perfectly, the scents and just the feel of each other's presence.

He was thinking that even now, after everything was over, we couldn't be in each other's arms and be at peace. We both were still worrying about separating and dreading the moments we would have to spend away from each other.

And he was getting insecure; he was thinking that I would prefer the normalcy of human life over the complications and responsibilities here and would never come back to the Kingdom. Worse, he thought I would find a man there.

And there was nothing I could do to assure him that something like that won't happen.

A thought struck him suddenly and before I could get it from his mind, he spoke up.

"The Alpha and the Luna of the pack I belonged to - WereFang, want to meet you before you leave." he started, "Well, they are the ones who basically brought me up and it didn't sit well with them that you knew nothing about them. I hope you don't mind; they are amazing people and already love you. And yes, I promise they won't overstep any bounds."

"So, it's like meeting your parents." I stated, not understanding why he was so nervous about me meeting them.

He gulped, "Yes, something like that."

"I would love to meet them; I'm hoping they tell me some embarrassing stories of your childhood." I winked at him wickedly.

He grinned at me cheekily, but then his face grew a little serious.

"And yes, you father gave me some...warnings." He told me.

"What?"

"Yes, the same old 'don't hurt my daughter or I'll have your balls chopped and fed to the wild wolves' thing, among other things."

"And what are the other things?" I looked up at him, resting my chin on his chest.

"To give you time and then woo you properly. He's expecting proper courting, as it happens in the PureBlood Kingdom." He had a smile on his face, but he blocked his mind-link so that I wouldn't know why he was smiling. "You don't know anything about that, do you?" he asked.

I shook my head, "I know nothing. In fact, you even know my father more than I do."

Oh Goddess, I again felt like a baby.