The Plan

[James' POV]

     I was trying to snag a seat next to Lily, but (Y/N) got it. I don't understand why she doesn't like me. She won't even give me a chance.

"Hey James," Sirius said, "I have a plan. I'll get (y/n) to switch seats with you so you can sit with Lily."

I sighed.

"Mate, I know you've got good intentions, but that won't turn out well. She thinks I'm a selfish git," I huff.

Sirius winked. "Just trust me. Not to be rude, mate, but you're terrible at flirting."

I started to say something, but then Sirius ran off. I sighed. I really am terrible at flirting.

[Sirius' POV]

     I'll just "flirt" with (Y/N) and get her to come with me. I'm sure Lily will want her to go. I think she's always liked us together, but, (Y/N)'s not my type.

I arrived at the girls' compartment.

"Just work your charm, Sirius," I muttered to myself as I swung the door open.

"Hi, Sirius!" (Y/N) said brightly to me. Lily just gave me a quizzical look, it's as if she knew that I'm trying to set her and James up. Why James likes her, is a mystery to me. They're two very different people. I sighed and started my conversation.

"Hey, (Y/N), you're looking fine today," I said as I raise my eyebrows and tilted my head back, with a smirk on my face.

(Y/N) raised an eyebrow. Lily started giggling like mad. I tried to keep my cool and continue.

"I didn't want to say anything at the platform because of everyone there, but," I wolf whistled.

(Y/N)'s eyes were widening. "Oh, uh - t-thanks, hehe," she awkwardly responded.

I regretted doing this.

"Let's go and get a Treacle Tart," I winked, "on me."

Her eyes widened. "B-but, Lily..." (Y/N)'s voice trailed off as she looked at Lily, nodding vigorously.

"Go, (Y/N)! It'll be fun. Don't worry about me. Go on now," Lily teased as she nudged (Y/N) and nodded my way.

(Y/N) hesitantly stood up. "Oh, uh, okay, uh, thanks Sirius, really nice of you -"

I grabbed her by the hand and gently tugged her along. I saw Lily doing a thumbs up at me. I knew that she liked me and (Y/N) together.

I found my way back to the boys' compartment, with an awkward silence between (Y/N) and I. Once I opened the door, James smiled and silently did a fist pump, Peter looked intrigued, and Remus looked kind of red. Almost as if he was blushing.

I gestured (Y/N) to sit down and quickly, James got up. I nodded my head at the girls' compartment.

"Thanks mate, I owe you big time," whispered James as he ran out of the compartment.

[James' POV]

     I breathed in and out. This is it, James, I said to myself, this is your chance with Lily. Please don't be a git. Don't blow it. I swung open the compartment door and flashed a smile Lily's way.

She turned completely red and was looking at her shoes.

"Hey," I said softly, "mind if I sit here?" pointing to the empty seat beside her.

She cleared her throat and gave me a weak smile. "Sure - uh, yeah, go - go ahead. This seat's not, uh, taken. Heh."

She's so gorgeous when she's nervous. Her face turned the same colour as her hair, practically.

I quietly sat down. Maybe if I wasn't so open about my feelings to Lily and I was more, I don't know - gentle - maybe she'd like me me. I tried to be genuine.

"Your hair looks very nice today," I said, attempting to compliment her. She started to say thanks and brushed a lock of hair behind her ear, when her face hardened.

"James Potter! You and Sirius are making me livid trying to get my attention. Sirius fake flirted with (Y/N) so I'd be alone and that would give you a good reason to sit with me!" she raged. "I am not an experimental doll that you can practise flirting on! Now you're sweet talking me, hm? Why you, you're the most insensitive git I've ever met!" she stormed off and a group of girls ran after her.

Bonehead, bonehead, bonehead! How could I do this? She'll never like me! She has a good reason to, mind you.

I stormed out of the room. Why am I like this?

I swung the door to the boys' compartment open. Remus and Peter were sitting, talking to Sirius who had his arm around a clearly uncomfortable (Y/N). They look surprised as I stormed in, but said nothing.

I sat alone in an empty booth, face in my hands.