#ChickLit #WKLYPrompt: "I Hope You Dance"

Anna was sitting in the attic of her new home in Camden stacking and unstacking boxes from her recent move across town to be nearer to the Heath

This move was the culmination of nearly 18 months of planning, permits and renovations that frustrated both Anna and her husband to no end. Her life has been a whirlwind since meeting him, but switched almost into hyper-drive after their surprise nuptials at the top of The London Eye. But, that has only served to inspire Anna to level up, and become the helpmate she thinks that her husband needs and deserves.

#

In the midst of pushing and pulling boxes, Anna stumbled across one that put a smile on her face. It was one  of several large banker's boxes full of letters. When she uncovered this one, she leafed through it excitedly. Then, she found something that made her stop searching and cover her mouth with both hands. She found a letter from her father posted from his duty station in Beirut, Lebanon in the Fall of 1991 just before he came home for the holidays. Anna found a creaky leather chair and sat down to read. Above the many others that she had ever received, this letter was one that always stayed with her because of the heartfelt words it contained. She had even enclosed the letter in a plastic sleeve to protect it from aging faster than she'd like. It was also the first item she ever scanned into a computer. Anna closed her eyes, clasped the envelope to her bosom, and took a deep breath to steady her nerves. Then she gingerly removed the single page of stationary from the time worn envelope. She lovingly traced the postage stamps and reveled in the deep set embossing left from the stroke of her father's pen so long ago. Then, she unfolded the letter and began to read silently:

19 November 1991

Dearest Andromeda,

I've spoken to your Mother about your little kerfuffle with that dreadful little creep in your ballet class. You were absolutely right to stand your ground, and I couldn't be more proud of you. When I get back home, I'm gonna give his parents a real talking to. That little mutha... Well, anyway - nobody touches my baby girl like that.

That being said, I love that you defended yourself while doing a fouetté turn. Still laughing out loud at that. You're beautiful and clever, I love you more than life, and miss you very much. Don't tell your brothers, but you do know that you're my favorite, right?

You know that I can't say much about my work, but if you've been following the news, you have an idea that it's been a very busy time here. At least we all get to take our break on a high note. And what a note it is.
Looking forward to pumpkin spice everything, and a demonstration of that legendary left knee. Were you en pointe? Now I'm laughing all over again.

I know that you already have your mind set on being a doctor or some other medical professional, but dammit... I hope you never stop dancing. Your soul comes so alive, and the breath of an unseen Goddess seems to lift you from the ground to twirl you in the breeze like the most beautiful feather I've ever seen. And, the world needs more of that. My breath hitches in my throat and my heart... my heart swells with pride. (Don't make that face, Anna. I know you're making the face. I swear I'm not crying. The ink is running because it's raining, is all.)

Much Love from the bottom of my heart. See you soon, baby...

Love & Admiration Abounds,
(Your Adoring Papa)
J. M. Eberhardt

PS: Did ya get 'em good? Hope he grabbed his useless little nads and fell to the floor crying for his momma.

#

Anna was left chuckling through tears at the postscript. Her father always had a way of never leaving things on a bad note when he wrote or called. He'd said that he never wanted to leave her broken hearted or feeling low. There's plenty of time for serious discussions, but only in person, never on the phone and especially not memorialized in his letters. As a tribute to her Father, Anna had adapted that philosophy into to her own personal communication style. Frankly, it has served her well, both personally and professionally.

Just as she'd begun drying her eyes, her husband had silently appeared. After taking a look at the the letter dangling from her fingers along with box lids, photo albums and papers strewn about, he understood immediately what he had walked into. Without a speaking a single word, he knelt down and gathered his wife into his arms to comfort her.

"Thank you, baby," she mumbled into his shoulder as he rocked her.

"I'm here for you, luv. Just let me hold you."

And with that, Anna stopped holding back her the tears she'd felt welling up inside her for the last few minutes. Then, she circled her arms around her husband's neck, and burrowed into him for dear life. He smoothed a hand between her shoulders in soothing circles as he lightly nuzzled the shell of her ear.
When he felt the tension drain away from her, he threaded his fingers through her hair, cradled her head and kissed her eyelids. Then, Anna sighed deeply, and began putting the letter away.

"I know that you still miss him, don't you, darling?"

Anna lowered her eyes, and nodded in agreement but she would not lift her head to meet his gaze. He slowly lifted her chin with his fingers until she had no choice but to look him directly in the eyes.

"On our wedding day - after you danced with my father - I promised to try my very best to deserve you every day. To make your parents proud. I truly hope that I have done, Anna..." His voice broke, and a sheen of tears clouded his eyes as he continued: "To do anything else would break my heart and leave me absolutely shattered."

This time, it was Anna's turn to comfort her man. She stood up, pushed the chair away and sank down to her knees. She clamped her arms under his and pressed her cheek to his as she whispered into his ear:

"Ever thine. Ever mine. Ever ours, my love."