September 27, 2014

Dear Friend,

Dinah came back to school Thursday. I think that she is as good as new because she was back to making jokes. She even said that bumping her head on the stairs is nothing compared to how much her head hurt when I cracked one of my "lame" jokes.

Ever since the incident which took place in the hospital with all the memories of my parents coming back to me again; my deep sleep has turned into sleepless nights again. All I could ever think about is them and why I'm the reason why they're gone.

On Friday night, I managed to try and work on finishing my project for art class. This turned into a huge mess. After a couple of hours and sea of crumbled up paper, I called Lauren and asked her to come over. I told her I needed some inspiration in illustrating her and that her being here might just be what I needed.

Lauren got to my house fifteen minutes later and I began drawing her. Just as I thought, she was all I needed. I began drawing her emerald green eyes, following with her full lips, then her eyebrows and nose, and so on. The time must have gone by quickly because Lauren was sent into a panic when she realized that it was already 2:40 a.m.

"Oh my god. I told my parents I'd be home before midnight! They're going to kill me." I smiled at the flustered look on Lauren's face. I thought she was absolutely adorable. Still, in a panic at what her parents would say for her staying out so late, I offered in her sleeping over instead of driving past her curfew. Lauren was hesitant in my proposal. She said she felt like she was intruding, but I reassured her that it was okay and I wanted her to sleep over.

"This is really nice of you Camila. Are you sure your grandma is okay with this? I can sleep on the couch." Lauren suggested, still seemingly feeling bad for sleeping over.

"Yes, Lauren calm down. My grandma doesn't care," I replied with a small sound of laughter in my voice. "The couch downstairs will do you nothing but an aching back in the morning.You can sleep next to me; there's plenty of room. I have a queen sized bed if you couldn't tell."

I slept of excellent quality that night which felt great considering I hadn't closed my eyes for more than an hour in the past two days. I occasionally woke up to make sure Lauren was still asleep next to me. I don't know; I guess her being there made me feel safe and protected.

-

Today was the day that our county fair opened. The fair was only open once a year for the last week of September so, the four of us decided to go. I say four because Dinah couldn't come. She said that since her doctor advised her to take it easy for a bit before going back to her regular rambunctious doings. Dinah added that she thinks her doctor was overexaggerating, but even if she didn't listen to him, her mom wouldn't have let her gone either way. I felt kind of bad that Dinah couldn't come with us and I even offered to stay home with her, but she insisted that I go since I couldn't go last year. I wasn't able to go last year since I had the flu.

I'm not a huge fan of the fast and dizzying type of rides as I prefer more for calmer rides like the Ferris wheel and bumper cars. On the other hand, Normani, Ally, and Lauren were more daring. Thus, most of my times at the fair were spent waiting for Normani and Ally to get off of the different rides. I didn't mind though because Lauren waited with me. In the times we waited, we started doing our own thing, separating ourselves from Normani and Ally. Lauren and I had a blast playing the different fair games. This included the ball and bucket toss, ring toss, basketball, and fish the duck. Lauren even won a tiger stuffed animal which she gave to me. We named him Tom.

After meeting back up, Ally suggested that the four of us ride The Zipper before leaving to go home. The Zipper is basically this ride which is similar to the Ferris wheel, but more intense. During the ride, you are contained in this cage-like contraption where a metal bar sits on your lap to keep you from flying off whiles being rocked back and forth and even flipped around. Obviously, I declined the offer, but Normani and Ally begged me and declared that the ride would be a "blast" and that I should live a little. Luckily, Lauren stepped in and told Normani and Ally to go without us while I and her ride the Ferris wheel. It took a little convincing, but the compromise worked. I think the part where Lauren stated how I might throw up all over Normani's hair if I went on the ride sold the deal. The compromise also probably worked even more in my favor than it did for the other girls.

Lauren led me to the line to the Ferris wheel. As we got on, Lauren and I sat next to each other with Tom sitting on my left side. I saw how much Lauren appreciated the view from above. She didn't have to say it because her face expressed it all. The view included the different rides and amenities of the fairground. The beautiful ocean which crashed against the sandy hills every few seconds encompassed a part of the beautiful setting. The lights from the inside of passing ships were visible which indicated night time. The thing I found most captivating and surreal about this moment was how a simple Ferris wheel ride could make me feel as if I were on top of the world and it was all because of Lauren. Sure, the view was beautiful, but seeing Lauren admiring the setting just made it even more special. The way her eyes grew fuller each time something caught her attention and her smile shined brighter than the stars above us was magical. In that moment, I only wanted to do one thing. I wanted to hold her hand and kiss her.

And so, I did.

I kissed Lauren. The kiss lasted for only a few moments before we separated our lips. Just as I stared deeply into her eyes; Lauren grabbed a hold of my cheek with one hand and my side on the other before initiating another kiss.

"I'm sorry for breaking my promise about not kissing you again, but it's just something I've been wanting to do again ever since I did it the first time," Lauren said honestly.

"Lo, I think this is one of those promises that I would be okay with you breaking," I reassured her.

Lauren rested her head on my shoulder whiles still holding my hand as our time in the Ferris wheel was nearing an end. Silence overtook the rest of the ride, but it wasn't awkward or anything, more so romantic to say the least. Just as I thought it couldn't get any more magical, it did. Suddenly, the sound of Ed Sheeran's song, All of the Stars which was played by a local band became audible to the both of us.

"Back to the time,
You were lying next to me
I looked across and fell in love."

The feeling all felt like a romantic movie. A romantic movie that starred Lauren and me, and we were the main characters. It took me a while to realize that it wasn't a movie. It was real. As I am writing this; I'm still processing what has happened. This is real.

Yours Truly,

Camila