October 11, 2014

Dear Friend,

I woke up this morning feeling the same way that I had felt last night, excited. I guess excited is really an understatement because I was beyond that. I started my morning by laying out the dress I was going to wear on my bed. Dinah and Ally then picked me up to get breakfast at Cole's Diner.

"So, are we all just gonna meet up at school later then?" Ally asked curiously.

"Yeah, we can take pictures when we get there," Dinah answered as she took a huge bite of her breakfast sandwich.

"Don't forget to bring your Polaroid camera." I reminded Dinah who seemed to be more focused on finishing her breakfast food.

When I arrived back home, I went up to my room to admire the dress again before putting it on. Dinah and I had gone shopping the other day and found this strapless black dress with rhinestones that covered the torso part of it. I wanted to go for something simpler, but Dinah disagreed and claimed, "Lauren is going to be a loss for words when she sees you in this!" So, I bought the dress. I really hope Lauren likes it. Since the price of the dress already took up three-quarters of my budget, I decided that I would just use one of the shoes I already owned in my closet which were simple black heels with an ankle strap.

My grandma helped me curl my hair which created voluminous waves for me. I then watched this YouTube tutorial on how to do make up for homecoming. After three failed attempts, I just went on doing my makeup as I am used to doing every day except I added a slight hint of lip gloss to my lips.

Soon after, the familiar sound the doorbell rang, but before I could go downstairs and get it, I heard the door unlock and the small voice that belonged to Sofi. "Wow, you look so pretty! You look like a princess. Are you Camila's girlfriend?"

Making my way out of my room and down the stairs, I spotted Lauren crouching down to match Sofi's height as she replied to Sofi, "Thanks, cutie. My name is Lauren. And no not yet." Lauren then whispered something to Sofi's ear which was inaudible from where I stood, but it caused a giggle from my younger sister.

As I made my way to the last step, Lauren and I's eyes came into contact and everything felt as though they were in slow motion. Lauren wore a white bodycon dress which accentuated her curves. Her hair was wavy and parted to the side. I guess Dinah was wrong because I was a loss for words, not Lauren.

"You look stunning, Camila," Lauren said as she held both of my hands, studying my dress before finally meeting my eyes again.

"I could tell you the same thing. Sorry I didn't go for the trash bag outfit that you were suggesting last night." I replied jokingly.

Lauren proceeded to meet my grandma who took endless amounts of pictures before finally letting us go to the dance. "I'm trusting you with my mija, Lauren. Take good care of her and have fun," my grandma acknowledged before Lauren and I headed out.

The homecoming dance took place in the school's gym. The theme was Underwater Fantasy so the setting was decked out in make-believe water and sea creatures decorations. Lauren and I met up with the rest of the girls to dance and chat, but later, everyone separated to have some one on one time with our dates.

"Come on," Lauren said smilingly as she led me back to the dance floor.

"Alright, everyone. The song I'm about to play was requested by one of your fellow students," The DJ indicated, speaking through his microphone. "They said to keep it anonymous but wanted to let everyone know that this song is for a very special girl, a girl whose beauty lies in her eyes and has the purest heart she's ever seen." The assortment of lights flashing in the gym turned to a dark aqua blue before All of The Stars began to play, silencing the students as they found their dates to dance with.