May 6, 2015

Dear Friend,

Today was the last day of school for seniors. Seniors get out of school a month earlier than underclassmen do. I don't quite know why schools do this, but I'm guessing it has something to do with giving seniors extra days off before they go to college. I'm not complaining though.

Most of my classes pretty much consisted of people signing each other's yearbooks. Even the people who I didn't really talk to had me sign their yearbook. For the most part, I just wrote, Good luck in college! or I hope to see you again soon!

I also turned in my art project today. You know, the one that consisted of painting a setting that's important to me. I'd manage to paint the bridge as it was a place where my life took a complete turn around. But as I was painting, I tried to think of it on a positive note because even though there are bad memories in that place; I had also created good ones. Two days after prom, Lauren and I went back to the bridge. She borrowed her dad's pickup truck where we placed blankets and pillows on the trunk. We sat there for a couple hours as I painted what was before me. If that were to be the first memory that I had of the bridge, I would think that it's beautiful and serene. I guess what I'm trying to say is, life is all about perspective. We have the power to choose whether we want to see the good or the bad in something.

Before leaving the school building, we said our respective goodbyes to our teachers and classmates. I made sure to thank a couple teachers whom I thought has truly helped me grow not only as a student but as a person. It was a bittersweet moment but more so sweet than bitter.

"Hi baby girl," Lauren said as the small pup greeted her in excitement. Lauren has lived up to her word in visiting me more often since gifting me Luna.

We're having a barbecue today to celebrate the last day of school. The other girls are coming over later tonight.

"I swear Luna always jumps on you first when we come home together," I pointed out.

"It's because she doesn't see me as often whereas you're with her almost 24/7," Lauren said as she continued petting the pup.

"Ugh," I groaned. "I think it's because you're the cooler parent."

"Why do you say that?" Lauren laughed.

"Because you're the one always giving her treats and buying her new toys."

"Camz, come on," Lauren began, "she adores you. Plus, if you ask me, I think you're pretty darn cool too."

"You do?" I asked curiously.

"Of course," Lauren said as she got up from petting Luna. "It's not every day that I meet someone who's smart, funny, beautiful, and can also eat an entire box of pizza by themselves in one sitting. So you're not only cool, but you're also unique."

"I call it talent," I joked.

"It must've taken you years of practice. For someone your size, you sure as hell can hold a good amount of food," Lauren commented before planting a kiss on my forehead.

For the rest of the afternoon, Lauren and I spent our time taking Luna out for a walk, blasting music in the house, and attempting to bake cookies. We really should have let Ally do the baking though because the cookies turned out bland and brittle. Luna also got into some of the cookies so at least someone thought they tasted good.

When the other girls arrived, Ally took it upon herself to bake a new batch of cookies which were noticeably better than the ones Lauren and I attempted to bake. Ally showed me the proper way to bake them as she advised that we should have added more milk and butter. Meanwhile, Normani helped Lauren grill the hot dogs and hamburger patties. Dinah set up the picnic table outside.

The five of us enjoyed each other's companies along with the delicious food. Normani joked how Dinah needed to slow down on the hotdogs as it was giving her "straight girl vibes." Dinah responded by saying Normani is the only person she wants to be with and that she doesn't have to worry about her liking guys again. The two girls are always joking, but I admire the refine and honest side of their relationship. The rest of our conversations were playful and light-hearted until the topic of our futures was brought up. Ally reminded us that she will be in Texas to continue interning her uncle as well as going to a community college nearby. Normani will be pursuing her dreams at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York. As for Dinah, she will be attending the University of Miami. And of course, Lauren will be going to the University of Alabama. As for myself, I'm just going to my town's local community college.

"I'm really gonna miss you guys," Ally spoke. "I don't think I could ever find a better group of people to call my friends."

"Aww Ally," Dinah replied giving the girl a hug. "I'm gonna miss your short self too."

"Guys, stop. You're gonna make me cry," Normani said in an unhappy voice.

"Hold on, relax for a moment. Save the tears for graduation. Plus, we still have the rest of the summer to spend time with each other," Lauren commented.

"Actually..." Normani started. "Me and Dinah are going on a cruise with my parents so we're gonna be MIA for a about month and a half."

"Woah!" I said surprisingly, also voicing what the other girls were thinking by the looks on their faces. "That sounds awesome. You guys are kind of like going on a honeymoon together."

"Yeah a honeymoon with my parents in a shared room with my sisters," Normani laughed.

"Hey, sharing rooms is nothing. You can find always find a way to you know... I mean like remember the time when Camila and I had to share a room with you guys at Ally's house?-" Lauren asked, but stopping herself at the recollection of what had just spilled out of her mouth.

"What the..." Normani uttered while Ally shook her head in disappointment.

"It honestly surprises me how much you two get it on," Dinah began. "Like out of all the couples, you'd think that you and Mila are the innocent ones."

"Shy on the streets, sexy in the sheets," Lauren joked.

"And where did you get that from?" Ally laughed.

"Pretty Little Liars," I answered knowingly. "Me and Lauren have been binge watching it every day after school. Shay Mitchell is such a babe."

"Okay Camz," Lauren remarked.

"But you're more babe-er," I told Lauren playfully, sensing her jealousy as the others laughed.

"Okay, but in all seriousness, we should make plans to do Skype group calls every weekend or something when we leave for college," Ally said, returning to the original subject of the conversation. "It's hard enough I won't  see your faces every day."

"I'm down," I replied. "If you guys ever need me, I'll be right here in Miami."

"We can even plan to visit each other on the weekends that we're not busy," Dinah suggested as everyone agreed.

Incidentally, I think that even though the five of us will not see each other every day; our friendship will remain intact. We have built something more than friendship; we've built sisterhood, excluding my relationship with Lauren of course as I don't see her as a sister. Anyways, I'm still not sure of what I want to pursue as my career. I will be taking my general courses on my first semester of college. I do hope that I figure things out.

Yours Truly,
Camila