April 19, 2015

Dear Friend,

I was woken up early this morning with a knock on my door. I looked at the time, seeing how it's only 8:42 a.m. which means my grandma had gone to work and Sofi is probably still asleep. I tried to ignore the knocks, but they kept coming. Finally, I got up and made my way downstairs to get the door.

It was my therapist.

"Hi Camila," she greeted.

"Hey Meredith," I said, greeting her with a hug.

"Sorry, I know it's early. But I had to see you before I leave."

"Before you leave?" I asked confusedly. "Where are you going?"

"Minnesota," she replied.

"Oh. How long will you be gone?"

"For a while," she explained. "My husband is being deployed there and so we're moving."

"Oh," I said in a sad tone, also surprised by her news. "So, what about our sessions?" I asked, not knowing how to respond.

Ever since my birthday, I have maybe gone four times to see my therapist. There wasn't much for me to share about in terms of my problems so we modified our sessions and started doing Skype calls instead. This way, I was still able to talk to her about the happenings in my life, but it was much more convenient. It also saved me the twenty-minute drive.

"Camila, we can still talk on Skype," she informed.

"But I won't see you anymore," I began, "I mean, I can't visit you anymore unless I go to Minnesota?"

"Camila, I don't really think you even need to visit me. By what you've shared, it seems like you have a great amount of support here."

She's right. I have my friends, my grandma, Sofi, and Lauren. But ever since I opened up to Meredith and she opened up to me, I have considered her a confidant.

"What if I have a breakdown again?" I asked her worriedly. "What happens when I get in the state where I shut everyone out again?"

"Honey, relax," she said calmly while caressing my arms. "I don't think that's gonna happen and if it does, you'll know how to handle it better this time around. Like I said, you have a great support group here with you."

I stopped for a minute to think, finding the right words to say to her. The truth is, I wasn't afraid of what will happen if I fall into deep depression again. I knew how to somehow handle it by now. I just didn't want Meredith to leave. She wasn't just my therapist, she was my friend.

"Are you ever coming back?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Yes of course," she began. "Our families live here in Miami so we will be back to visit."

"I will miss you," I finally told her. "You've taught me and helped me a lot."

"You've taught me so much as well, Camila," she started. "I think we've built a relationship where we can consider each other friends."

"I think so too," I agreed. "You've helped me so much and I thank you for that. Thank you for always listening and giving great advice."

"Of course. Call me anytime," she said. "I really have to go catch my flight now though."

"Okay, thank you again, Meredith," I said sincerely. "I hope everything works out in Minnesota."

"Thank you, Camila," she replied before giving me one last embrace and saying goodbye.

I watched Meredith get in her car, waving at me as she pulled out of the driveway. This was one of those times where I felt sad because a friend of mine was leaving. But I know this isn't the last time I will see her again.

Yours Truly,
Camila