Chapter 3: The Dungeon

"What is this, brother?! You expect me to work with a fresh recruit, and a commoner no less?" Leopold yells, making wild gestures at me as he protests.

The Captain sets his pen down and stands up. Leopold shuts his lips tightly, seemingly shrinking back in the shadow of Captain Fuegoleon's full height. "Leopold, do you find error in my judgement?"

"Yes!"

"I do not understand. Do you find error in the fact that I have chosen a perfectly strong Magic Knight to accompany you? That I myself chose her for the Crimson Lions at her exam? That she is a capable magic-user and fighter? I see worth in her even though she is a commoner, Leopold. If you continue to only value the strength of nobles, you will not be able to seek out those with true potential." Eep! Captain Fuegoleon can be super intimidating!

I give a glance at Leopold and see that his anger has simmered down, but only on the surface. He glares daggers at me and I quickly turn away.

"Fine, brother. But if she doesn't cut it, I don't want this to happen again." He gives a huff and sits down on the other side of the room, crossing his arms and brooding. What a great guy. How can he and the Captain even be related?

"Now that that's sorted out, here is your mission." Leopold and I both turn our heads towards Captain Fuegoleon as he gives us the briefing. "A new dungeon has been discovered on the outskirts of the Common Realm. I've made sure that no other squad will send out their own Magic Knights, so the place is yours for the taking. Bring back what you can, and try not to leave the place in shambles. There is still much to learn from the architecture and technology of the dungeon." The Captain picks up a piece of shiny paper, and Leopold instantly snatches it from his hand. "That map will tell you the location of the dungeon. It would be best if you two travel discreetly, so don't take any detours along the way, and keep the locals out of it. That is all. Dismissed."

I clutch my broom, my hand shaking, as I follow Leopold out the door. This is crazy this is crazy this is crazy. This should not be happening! This cannot be happening! I can't possibly work with this guy, who definitely hates me quite a lot! At this point, the feeling is mutual.

Leopold doesn't even look at me as he says, "You already have your broom, so wait for me at the entrance of the squad base. We will depart soon after. Don't get in my way, commoner." He sneers the last word, drags it out and spits it in my face like it's disgusting, covered in sewage. In that instant, every moment he's insulted me flashes through my mind, and something within me snaps. 

Fear gives way to anger, and I don't even think as I lift a hand, gathering my magic into one concentrated point at the tip of my finger. I fire a blast of dark magic right next to Leopold's arrogant head, cutting off the tips of his ridiculous hair and leaving a bleeding cut across his cheek. Stone crashes to the ground as the blast makes contact with the hallway wall, leaving a hole surrounded by spiraling cracks. Silence and dust fill the hall as we stand, facing each other. His eyes are slightly widened, his lips parted with no sound coming out, as if he's forgotten how to speak. For a moment I want to get on my knees and grovel for forgiveness, but then I remember his sneering tone, his cruel, cold eyes, and I grit my teeth.

"We're teammates, whether you like it or not. Address me with the decent respect I deserve, noble." I drag out the word the same way he did, my voice dripping with distaste. Before he can respond, I turn away and stride towards the entrance of the squad base.

I'll show him that commoners can stand on the same level as nobles, that stupid idiot.