Chapter 44: Promise

I spend well over two weeks in the squad's hospital. The physicians fuss over me and refuse to let Leopold see me whenever he asks, but he finds ways to slip past them. He tells me about Briar and Vivaldius, the two members of Moon Shade that we captured. They're going to be sent to the dungeons soon, where interrogation will begin. 

"And what about that shapeshifter? And Midas?" I asked him yesterday.

Leopold bit his lip. "No sign of them. We've been sending tentative scouting groups, but we haven't found any sources of fire flower yet. Hopefully they'll make a move soon, and then we'll shut them down for good."

Today the sun is bright and strong, blazing through the sheer curtains of the infirmary. I never really had any friends in the squad, and the members that went with me and Leopold to attack Moon Shade already visited before. Besides, Leopold only visits during the night, when the physicians are less likely to catch him, so I have the whole day to sit in this hospital bed with nothing to do. I pick at my nails absentmindedly, wondering how long I'll last before boredom drives me insane. My body is still weak, and I can feel muscle atrophy taking hold the longer I stay here; it'll be hell to start working out again, to get back into my old routine. 

All of a sudden, a white-robed physician enters the room. "Mari Ebonelle... that's you, correct?" The physician asks as he nears my bed.

"Yes, that's me. Why do you ask?"

He hands me an envelope. "You'll be leaving the hospital today. Captain Fuegoleon's orders. We'll give you medicine and supplies so you can take care of yourself, but consider this your last day at the infirmary."

"What?" I ask, confused. I'm supposed to have three more days left of rest before I can leave. What is going on? "I don't understand– hey! Wait!" But the physician is already out the door before I can reach out to stop him.

I reach for the letter that he left on my bed, and with a shock, I realize that it contains the royal seal. Perplexed, I tear open the envelope with as much care as possible and take out a creased sheet of thick paper.

Dear Ms. Ebonelle,
I have heard of your recent mission to subdue the Moon Shade organization. Fuegoleon has given you praise, and apparently, your magic growth has been exceptional given the short amount of time you have been a Magic Knight.

As you know, Clover is bordered in the north by the Diamond Kingdom. They are a terribly pesky lot; always trying to steal Clover's dungeon loot and mounting invasions to pierce the border. I am in the process of creating a Northern Brigade that will act as gatekeepers on Clover's northern border. This division will consist of talented Magic Knights throughout all of Clover's squads, and I would like for you to be part of it. I believe your prowess in Dark Magic will be very helpful in keeping the Diamond Kingdom at bay.

I have arranged an escort to send you to the rendezvous point for newcomers of the Northern Brigade. Please pack your things and prepare to leave tomorrow morning. Though I understand your initial anger at not having a choice in this matter, the Diamond Kingdom has been more and more aggressive lately with their military movements. It is imperial that a group from the Clover Kingdom is ready to respond with force if necessary. You will not have to serve at the brigade for the rest of your career if you do not wish to do so, but two years of service are required at the very minimum.

Thank you for your devotion,
Julius Novachrono

I set the letter down, trying to keep the tears from welling up in my eyes. All of a sudden I feel so, so tired despite the shock coursing through my body. I am honored at the emperor's choice to select me for this brigade, but that means I'll have to leave everything behind. Leopold... the Crimson Lion Squad... The tears start falling, staining my hands and my bedsheets, and even a corner of the letter.

I don't know how long I stay in bed for, crying my eyes out over the letter. There is a seed of rage at the emperor for his nonchalance, for his inconsideration, but I have to follow his orders nonetheless. Besides, the Diamond Kingdom is a dangerous foe; I know I should be honored to have the opportunity to defend my Clover, but all I feel is emptiness.

My eyes are red and sore by the time I stumble out of my bed. The letter is creased and folded in my clenched fist as I speak with the physicians and receive my supplies. They help me carry my medicine back to my quarters, and then I am left alone in my room, with nothing to do but pack. Slowly, my body moving as if it drowning in amber, I spread out my belongings and put them in a suitcase.

Someone knocks on the door just as I finish, and my heart breaks because I know exactly who it is. I open it, and sure enough, it's Leopold, standing in the sunset with a hopeless look on his face. I thought I was done with crying, but as soon as I see him, I burst into tears again.

"Mari..." he trails off, at a loss for words.

The world blurs as I cry harder, and suddenly, I feel arms wrapping themselves around me, feel my hair against his chest and his chin on top of my head. He still smells of pine and smoke and ash, and that comforts me a little as I start to shake from my tears.

"Leo," I whimper. "I don't want to go."

In response, he hugs me tighter, clinging to me as if he never wants me to go either. "I know, I know. He didn't give you a choice, did he?"

"No!" I almost shout, the seed of anger starting to bloom. "He can't – he can't just do this! He can't take this away from me!"

Leopold strokes my hair softly. "How long does he want you there?"

"Two years," I mumble into his shirt. "I–I won't see you for two damn years."

He falls silent, and then I feel his chest rising and falling erratically. I look up to see tears trickling down his cheeks. "Leo..." I reach up and try to wipe his tears away, but he brushes my hand off his face and turns away.

"I'm sure he'll let you visit," he says as he cries, but he sounds so doubtful that it breaks my heart. "I... I can get Fuegoleon to speak with him. Maybe he'll change his mind! Maybe you won't have to go!"

Despite my tears, I give a small smile. Oh, Leo. You hot-headed optimist. "You and I both know it won't work. He's the emperor. He can do whatever he wants."

Leopold takes a few deep breaths, trying to keep himself calm. "I told myself I wouldn't cry when I knocked on your door, but look at me."

"It's okay to cry, Leo. We feel sad, we are sad."

He stares up at the dusk-colored sky. "It's just so unfair, Mari. I wanted to be with you... for longer."

I grab his hand and intertwine his fingers with mine. "We'll–We'll get through this, Leo. Together. I can write letters! I'll convince the brigade captain to let me visit!" My smile is shaky, but when he sees it, his face lights up.

He presses his forehead against mine and whispers, "Promise, Mari? You'll write?"

I close my eyes, and for a moment, I know nothing but the darkness and him. "I promise, Leo."