Chapter 12: The Crimson Ball

I stand in front of the mirror, slowly braiding my hair up into a bun. The black strapless dress that I've chosen, with a hem line embroidered in glittery red and a floor-length bottom studded in rubies, is absolutely perfect.

There... done! Faintly smiling, I give a little spin, letting the dress ripple and twirl. Then I grab the note and the ticket before walking out and locking my door. The Crimson Ball is always held in the very top floor of the squad base, so I'll have to leave a lot earlier just to get up there on time.

Tiptoeing, I dart up the many rows of stairs, trying not to be seen. I can't afford to waste time answering probing questions about what I'm doing and where I'm going. I'm nearly out of breath when I get to the top of the squad base, but I compose myself and walk towards the ticket collectors stationed in front of the ball. They stand before a huge, red-tinted dome, with windows lining its surface and geometric patterns carved into it. I can see warm lights from inside, and the useless chatter that nobles are known for.

Thankfully, the ticket collector doesn't bat an eye as I hand him the swatch of velvet that came with the note. After inspecting it, he tears it up and drops it into a box, motioning for me to go inside. Fear ripples up my spine as I near the open door, growing stronger and stronger as the plush ballgowns and red carpets come nearer and nearer. Just get to the courtyard outside, and then you'll be fine. Straightening my back, I walk straight into the ballroom.

Three huge chandeliers dot the ceiling, casting a brilliant glow with their crystals and candles. Two sets of stairs, each winding up and coming together, lead to a separate floor above the one I'm on. And all around me, noble ladies walk and talk in their billowy gowns, wine glasses in their delicate hands. The men are dressed in pompous suits, showing off their status, wealth, and masculinity. I hate this event; nothing more than a shower of money for the rich to enjoy themselves.

The room immediately falls to a hush as I walk in, and I feel everyone's eyes on me. Great. Time for the ridicule. As I predict, the murmurs and whispers start to rise.

"Dirty little street rat."

"What is that peasant doing, dressed up like that?"

"What is she doing here? Shouldn't she be back in the boonies?"

"Who let a commoner in?"

"This has to be a mistake. This is a place for the rich, not for a slum girl."

"Excuse me, but what are you doing here?" A cold, harsh voice, aimed directly at me, comes from behind me. I can't ignore it, and I turn around to find Nozel Silva staring at me, a look of distaste on his features. This is the worst possible scenario that could ever happen.

"I'm attending the Crimson Ball, of course. Don't worry, I won't grace you with my grimy fingers and ask you to dance," I shoot back, folding my arms over chest. These royals and their stuck-up attitude. I guess Captain Fuegoleon is one-of-a-kind.

Immediately the murmurs grow into shouts of protest.

"How dare she talk to Nozel Silva like that!"

"What is she thinking, disrespecting a squad captain?"

"Stupid girl. Someone teach her some manners."

Nozel looks like he wants to rip my face off, and I can feel his magic pulsing out from under his skin. Suddenly, someone comes up behind him, and a hand appears on his shoulder.

"She is one of mine, Nozel. A dark magic user, and an excellent one too. But I believe she has somewhere to be right now, correct?" Captain Fuegoleon gives me a kind smile. Thank the lords!

"Yes, I do. Don't worry, I don't ever plan on coming back to a place like this again. And if I do, it'll be on my own terms." I give Nozel a glare before turning and rushing towards the courtyard. The nobles part a path for me, and even though I know they are stepping away from disgust, it makes me feel powerful.

I push open the exit door, letting it slam shut behind me, before I step into the courtyard. I walk along the cobblestone path, which makes a winding road bordered by tall stalks of grass hiding lily-dappled ponds. Over the horizon, the sun is starting to set, and the sky is a mellow but strong shade of deep orange and pink. A chill creeps up on me as the night breezes start to blow, but I continue walking.

Then, up ahead, I see him, in all his disgusting glory. His vermilion hair sticks out like a sore thumb, and for a moment, I want to turn around and leave. All you have to do is thank him. The money will be a great help. Taking a deep breath, I walk towards him, even though every fiber of my body is telling me not to.

"What did you call me out here for?" I say after he looks in my direction.

"Oh, nothing." He smiles, and that's when I realize it. This isn't Leopold. Something about the smile, the way it sinisterly curls into a greedy grin. It's not him.

It all happens in a flash. I jump back, my magic already forming a shield around me. Loud footsteps come from behind the fake Leopold, and I see the real Leopold rush out. I'm so focused on the real one that I don't notice the fake one sprinting towards me. The fake one casts off their disguise for a second, and I see pale skin and blue hair before the world is swept out from under me.

"Mari!" The real one calls as I'm hoisted over someone's shoulder. I'm too dizzy and shocked to react, but I see the real Leopold's grimoire glowing before there's a rush of air. Then the world turns black as a portal swallows me and my kidnapper up whole.