Chapter 7: The Black Market

I near the entrance of the squad base early in the morning, heart thumping a bit faster than usual for a million reasons. The Leopold I saw yesterday was different... in a good way. Kinder, more relaxed, more caring. But I also can't get his insults out of my head, his cruel and cold expression at the start of our mission. If anything, I should be wary of this outing, but part of me wants to see it as a second chance; maybe this is what he's really like.

I shake those thoughts out of my head as I see him standing by the entrance. His vermilion hair is as unruly as usual, but now he's dressed in a turquoise robe that matches his eyes, the sash and lapels a darker shade. His squad cape is gone, as well as his scarf, showing off his broad shoulders. He looks... great.

"Hey," I wave as I draw closer.

"Ready to go? We should have the whole day all to ourselves," Leopold says, his hands in his pockets. I nod in response, and he opens the door, light streaming in. The two of us walk out and head to Kikka.

The castle town seems to be quieter than usual when we get there, but I see children laughing in the streets, and the faint sound of chatter fills every corner. The sky is bright and fresh, and a cool breeze blows by occasionally. Wow, this day is perfect!

"Um, I'm going to take a look at the Black Market first. They have lots of magic items and potions there." I break the silence between the two of us. Not a simmering, hateful silence this time, but a tentative, awkward silence. In some ways, the latter is worse than the former.

"Sure, do what you need to do. But I hear they've got a great cafe that opened up recently! I've been wanting to try out their cinnamon spice drink!" A glow lights up his eyes, and he gives me a toothy grin that I can't help but find a little cute.

"Yeah, we can check that out after the Black Market, maybe?" A cafe? What's he up to?

"Sure. Your hands are our first priority."

My face heats up as I remember the way he reached for my fingers, the sincerity in his eyes. Stop. Thinking. About that! He's right, I need to get something for my hands. This is just his way of saying sorry.

We continue in silence as I lead him to the entrance to the Black Market. I walk straight into the wall, Leopold right behind me, and suddenly I'm surrounded by golden-lit, bustling stalls. Enticing spices, a medley of scents, and the eager chatter of customers all intertwine with the wild mana of outlandish potions and items. This is the Black Market.

I push through the crowded place, looking for a faded sign with the letters "Hartock Potions" in chipped blue paint. I spot it nestled between two food shops, and I break from the main street as to open the creaking door. The inside is snug, cozy, full of shelves filled from corner to corner with a rainbow of potions. At the end of the store, the owner, Old Man Hartoch, a small man with a scraggly, bushy white beard and a thick blue cloak, sits at a desk.

"Ah, Miss Ebonelle. Will it be the usual today?" Old Man Hartoch croaks.

"Yes, and I'd also like an ointment for treating burns and blisters," I reply as I start counting the coins needed for the payment.

Old Man Hartoch pushes a bundle of potions, along with a flat, circular, tin container, towards me. I give him a quick thank you before stashing everything away into my satchel.

I turn to Leopold, "Well, that's all for me. You said you wanted to try the new cafe?" Might as well go along with him, it seems harmless.

He almost looks surprised after I say that, as if he expected me to forget. "If that's all right with you. Need to buy anything else?"

I shake my head, buttoning up my satchel. "It's Vorla Cafe, right? I've heard of it before, but I've never really gotten the opportunity to try it out either."

Again, a surprised look flits across his face, but it's wiped away with another one of his toothy grins. Crap, that smile really is cute. Ugh, keep a straight face! He follows me out the door and we weave through the crowds, exiting the Black Market. I'm still a bit on edge about this whole outing, but it doesn't seem like he has any bad intentions, and he's been surprisingly agreeable all day. What changed?