Chapter 29: Ambush

"Are both teams ready?" I ask.

Hearty yells of enthusiasm ring from around the woods.

"Very well. Begin!" I project my magic out into all directions, giving the trees a ripple of darkness; my signal for the practice round to begin. The blue team is the first to appear, springing through the woods in their cerulean jerseys. They give a short battle cry before splitting up and dashing off to find the red team.

"Dark Magic: Fallen Angel."

Wings of darkness sprout from my back, and I float up into the sky, surveying the training ground. This is one of those combat exercises that the Crimson Lions squad decides to hold once in a while, and since the previous Magic Knights Entrance Exam was quite recent, Fuegoleon has decided to give the new recruits some experience.

For a moment, I stare off into the sky, watching the clouds lazily drift. It's been two months since Leopold and I got "engaged," and we're happy. But his longterm missions have increased, and he's been away for a while. Fuegoleon told me that he decided I was ready to be a fully matured member of the Crimson Lions, but he wants me to focus on working with recruits. So now, I'm here, overseeing a mock battle between newbies and veterans alike.

Muted explosions jolt up from within the woods, and I swoop around, marking down fighting styles and technique. She could use a little work with control. He's doing fine. Ooh, excellent strategy! The blue team barrels forward, changing the terrain and blasting the red team with repeated, heavy attacks. Very one-sided, but being defense is always tough.

The red team manages to hold their own for quite a long time, but eventually, they are pushed back. I float down as the blue team's leader grabs the enemy's flag with conviction, victory gleaming in his eyes. I raise his arm in the air, causing hollers of joy to come up from the surrounding blue team members. Then, I slice my dark magic through the forest once again, signaling that the mock battle is over.

As the members slowly make their way to the clearing where the red team's flag is, I fly back into the air to pick up any stragglers. It's only been a minute of searching when a huge boom nearly knocks me out of the sky. What the hell?! I spin to see smoke coming from an explosion to my left. Are they still fighting?! I turn towards the large crowd of blue and red team members and yell, "Count your fighters! Get everyone back to the squad base!" Thankfully, the leaders hear me and start getting their teammates under control.

I keep an eye on the explosion as they follow my orders. When they both give me a thumbs up, I point towards the squad base, motioning for them to go. As soon as they're all out of sight, I turn and swoop towards the explosion. I land just outside the ring of smoke, which is still going up into the air in sickening plumes. But as I get closer, I notice that it is actually tons of ash floating up into the sky. I draw my blade and cloak it with magic, narrowing my eyes as I try to find the source of this phenomenon. There is obviously an Ash Wizard nearby, but I can't seem to spot them. Then, through the shifting of grays and blacks, I catch a glimpse of a lean figure in the midst of the giant plumes.

"Who are you!" I slash through the smoke, blowing it all way, to momentarily see a thin man. His mouth is curved in a smile, and a crazed look flashes through his eyes before the smoke falls back into place.

"It's you! Princess!"

Princess?! I'm about to swing my sword through the ash again and confront this stranger, but then it hits me. The Crimson Ball. The organization. The awful, awful night. I almost drop my weapon from the sudden fear that floods through me. I remember the blood seeping from my wounds, the pain in my muscles and my skin, and crawling pathetically on the ground to escape. To survive. Then my grip hardens on my sword and I finish the swing. I won't let them take me again! But when the ash clears the second time, the man is gone. Dammit!

My wings form with ease, and I leap into the air. I expect to spiral up into the sky, but instead I'm jerked back down, cruelly and coldly. My wings crumple from the shock of the motion, and I land on the ground with a thump. My vision goes black for a moment from the pain, and then I'm staring up at the sky, lying on the ground. Everything is blurry and muffled, but I leap to my feet and try to dart away.

Something cold and rough wraps itself around my ankle, and I am yanked downwards once again. As my hand hits the ground, I lose my grip on my sword, and it clatters away, landing a few feet in front of me. The impact leaves me more dizzy than before, and I struggle to not black out. What is going on?! Move, move, move! Get out of here!

"Sorry, Princess, but you won't be going anywhere today." A deep, almost soothing voice comes from behind me. I manage to flip over and see that my ankle has been wrapped in metal chains. A man wearing a long, black cloak, with equally dark, slicked-back hair and eyes starts to drag me towards him.

In my wounded, injured daze, I can only go limp as he pulls me towards him. From behind, a girl emerges, her brown hair gathered up in two wavy pigtails. She eyes me and suddenly smiles creepily. "Lilac's going to have so much fun with you, Princess! When she's done with you, you'll be the leader of Moon Shade!" She lets out a wicked, shrieking cackle as the man continues to pull me closer. And closer. And closer.