Chapter 37: Revolution

"We are receiving a call from Bellona." Mithras holds up a blinking device at me. "I have not answered it yet."

"Bellona? The clone?" I ask, examining the device.

"Yes, Great Leader."

"Let her through."

Mithras presses a button, and the device gives off a crackling noise. Then, a voice breaks through.

"Moon Shade, this is Bellona. Come in, come in."

"Report, Bellona," I say.

There is a pause, and static fills the room. I lean forward, gripping the armrest, on the edge of my seat. I need to convince her to return, no matter where her loyalties lie.

"Who are you?" She asks. I hear the suspicion in her voice. A follower of Sebastian, then?

"Does it matter? I asked you for a report," I snap back. I cannot make up a position for myself; she is most likely close enough to Sebastian to know all of the inner workings of Moon Shade.

"I have captured the target." I breathe a sigh of relief. She bought it.

"Good work. Return to the Moon Shade immediately."

"Very well. I shall arrive within a day."

The static cuts, and the device stops blinking. Mithras pockets it and stares at me attentively, waiting for me to say something. After a moment, I ask, "Mithras, who is the target that she referred to?"

"I do not know, Great Leader. But if I had to guess, I would say she was sent to capture someone from the Crimson Lions Squad."

I turn away so he doesn't see my face pale. Leopold... Leopold... It must be him. Fuegoleon is too powerful, but with Leopold Sebastian could've had so many options. Ransom, a new Moon Shade member, or simply revenge. I dismiss Mithras and sit on my "throne" for a long while, bathing in anxiety and fear. Is Leopold okay? Is he hurt, or just unconscious? It takes all my strength not to break down. The pressure of my position is finally catching up to me, as well as the realization of my situation. I am deep in enemy territory, faking every move by the minute, presenting a facade to every person in sight. I take a few deep breaths and steel myself. Don't worry, Mari. Their loyalty lies with you. All you have to do is find a way to contact the Crimson Lions.

So I sit and wait as the sun moves across the sky, preparing myself for Bellona.

***

She enters the throne room, a body thrown over her shoulder. A chill runs up my spine as I see her in her true form: a girl with a shiny black bob cut and a blank, emotionless expression. The moment she sees me, she stops, her eyes flickering towards Mithras. He gives a reassuring nod, and she steps forward, kneeling before me.

"Where is Sebastian?" She asks.

"Indisposed. I am your new leader now."

"Mithras!" She hisses suddenly, leaping to her feet. "You allowed this?!"

"Bellona, silence yourself! This is the promised one, the princess that Sebastian foretold would lead Moon Shade! It is not her fault that he was too weak to guide her on the path of greatness." Mithras steps forward, attempting to calm Bellona.

I see a flicker of rage burn in her eyes, and then it cools. She kneels again, averting her gaze from mine. "Apologies, Great Leader. I did not know."

Even though I hear the bitterness in her voice, I reply, "Apology accepted, Bellona. Now, release the target."

My stomach curls into a ball as she lays Leopold on the floor and starts untying the rope wrapped around his limbs. She removes the gag and pulls out a vial filled with a green substance. After she uncaps it, she shoves it under his nose. Leopold takes a whiff, and then sits up, spluttering. He leaps to his feet and fire blazes in his fists.

"Where am I?" He looks around wildly. His eyes fall on Bellona and he jumps back. "Are you the one who captured me?"

"Calm yourself." I stand up, my voice booming through the room. I struggle to hold my emotions in, to keep myself from running into his arms. Thank the heavens he's alright.

Leopold notices me, and immediately his hands fall to his sides. He stares up in awe, whispering, "Mari? What are you doing here?"

"Silence. You are now a prisoner of Moon Shade, and I am this organization's leader." I stare into his eyes, praying he'll read between the lines.

He stutters for a moment, trying to get out his words of protest. But then he sees the look on my face, and falls silent. I walk down the steps and grab both of his hands, twisting them behind his back.

"Where are you taking him?" Bellona says abruptly, the fire now burning once again in her eyes.

"It is not your place to question me. I have use of this one, and it is not my problem if my plans do not align with Sebastian's. I am your leader now."

For a second, she looks as if she might punch me. But then she backs down, and I haul Leopold out of the throne room.

We walk briskly in silence for a few minutes as I scan for a room. I find one with the door ajar, and I yank Leopold inside before slamming the door shut. I release my grip on his hands and let out a sigh of relief. Before he can say a word, I turn and practically leap onto him, hugging him tight. I feel his hands wrap around my back as he hugs me back.

"You're safe," I breathe, letting myself close my eyes for a moment.

"Mari, please, tell me what's going on." He pulls away and cups my face with his hand.

"I've infiltrated Moon Shade," I whisper, alert again, ready for whatever Moon Shade might throw at me. "Their loyalty is frail, but it's there. We need to contact our squad so they can break in and bust this place down. Do you have any way to–"

There's a loud boom, and the clang of metal. I jump in front of Leopold as the door crashes to the floor and dust billows through the room. My blood turns cold as Vivaldius and Briar step through the dust. Right behind them I catch a glimpse of Mithras and Bellona, smirking.

"Traitors!" I hiss, forming my blade of darkness.

"Traitors?" Mithras speaks up. "Please. You were never our leader to begin with."

A chain materializes in Vivaldius' hands, and Briar gives a crazed giggle. They lunge at me and Leopold, aiming for our throats.