Chapter 13: Captive

A sudden bright light flashes, pulling me out of the depths of murky unconsciousness. I give a groan as I groggily open my eyes.

"You're finally awake, princess. You slept the whole night. A nasty side effect from being teleported." A raspy, deep voice slithers around me, surrounding me from all sides.

Who was that?! What happened?! I was at the Crimson Ball... and then... I was captured? Right, there was a portal. Someone kidnapped me! I try to squint my eyes and see who just spoke, but darkness pours in from every corner. Carefully, I stand up and feel out my surroundings.

"I apologize for the secrecy, princess, but it would be best for our group to remain hidden from your sight." Again, the raspy voice comes from up ahead. I slowly inch towards it, trying to suppress my mana.

"Who are you? A group of criminals?" I ask. They might be the new Shadow Crescent group that I've heard of, or maybe the Furies, an infamous organization that captures Magic Knights. Either way, I have to tread warily.

"We are the Moon Shade, the dust that sinks from the stars, the howls that pierce through the forest, and we have been looking for you, princess." A different voice this time, deeper and warbling.

"A dark magic user! The perfect head of our group! And when our Poison Wizard is done with you, you'll forget the life you once had!" A high-pitched, almost hysterical, feminine voice. Who are these people?! I need to get out of here, and fast. No way am I going to let myself be brainwashed into acting like the leader of a criminal gang!

I shimmy to my left, sticking my hand out in the hopes of reaching a wall, but only cold, frigid air meets my fingertips. I try the other side, but to no avail. Around me, I sense footsteps and mana closing in. Guess I've got no choice.

"Dark Magic: Black Comet!" I raise my arm, letting my mana well up into a singular point on my fingertip. Then I let it loose in every single direction around me. I hear screams, and the sound of concrete cracking and crumbling. Clouds of dust billow up into the air, but I catch a glimpse of a small speck of light towards my right. An exit!

I race towards it, trying my best to bundle up my ridiculously extravagant dress. As I get closer, I see that I've made a mouse-sized hole. I repeatedly blast at the surrounding area with my magic, trying to carve an escape large enough for me to squeeze through. Break already, stupid wall! 

The screams have stopped, and the mana from earlier is now drawing near at lightning pace. They're surrounding me, honing in on me. Shit, this is bad! This is really fucking bad!

As I land another blow on the wall, I feel something pierce my abdomen; so quick and sharp that it makes me lose my breath for a second. My entire side starts to ache and burn, and I grit my teeth as I clamp my hand over the wound, feeling warm, wet blood staining my palm. Another bolt of magic comes from behind, nicking my arm, leaving a wide, flat cut across my skin. I barely have enough time to register the new wound before a barrage of magic hurtles towards me. Tiny nicks and cuts start to shower my skin, each one tingling and then growing into a forest fire swarming my entire body. 

I can barely think, blood roaring in my head as the pain builds and builds. My breaths start to come out as choked gasps, and I feel my hand around my side loosen, allowing more blood to spill out from my side. Frantically, I try to put up a haphazard shield, but the bolts of magic are relentless. My vision starts to blur, and I sway on my knees, my free arm faltering. No! You're going to get out of here!

"Sorry for roughing you up so much, princess! But we can fix you in no time!" It's the hysterical, feminine voice, followed by an equally sickening giggle.

Bolts of magic rip through my dress, one shooting straight through my calf. I rasp as I sink to the floor, but I can feel the wall in front of me giving in. I gather the last of my strength and pour it out in a single blow.

"Dark Magic: Black Lightning!"

My magic wraps itself around me and pushes me forward, pressing itself against the wall, finally breaking through. I hurtle out into the open, feeling cold night air kiss my skin before I crash into the ground in a storm of dirt and dust. Grass prickles against my cuts as I writhe, trying to get on my stomach and then on my feet. In the distance, I see a vast, sprawling forest underneath the faint light of the stars. I need... to get out of here... I sink my nails into the ground, gripping and clawing at the dirt, but I can only manage to haul myself forward a few steps before my strength gives out.

Then, I hear footsteps approaching from in front, followed by a familiar shade of vermilion. A wave of relief washes through me, and I almost break down sobbing.

"Leo... pold..." I gasp as spots dot my vision. The pain is so bad. So, so bad.

"Mari!" He voice sounds far off, distant, wavering like he's talking underwater. I can't keep my eyes open any longer, and I roll onto my back, trying to conserve my energy. I hear him rush forward, stop a few inches away, and then he's holding me in his arms, propping me up. He's trembling. 

"Who... who did this to you?" He speaks with a lethal quietness that I've never heard before.

"In... there..." I feebly lift a battered arm and point to where I came from.

"Don't worry, Mari. I'll take care of you." He sets me back down on the forest floor, and I crack open an eye to see his grimoire flip open. He speaks an incantation, and I feel warmth surge around my body, cradling my wounds, coating my skin. Before I slip into unconsciousness, I catch a glimpse of the pure rage on Leopold's face.