Chapter 31: Plan

It's been three days since the attack. The medics at the squad patched me up, and yesterday I received a note from Fuegoleon instructing me to meet him today in his office. After I get ready, I enter red-covered room.

"Hello, Mari," Fuegoleon says from his desk. "Leopold told me your message, but I'm still in a bit of shock. Why don't you tell me yourself what happened?"

"Of course, Captain. Members of the Moon Shade gang caused an ash explosion during my training session. I evacuated all of the trainees and went to check on the situation. I was confronted by three wizards: a Creation Wizard, an Ash Wizard, and a female that did not reveal her magic. The Creation Wizard ate something that strengthened and amplified his spells. I managed to counter and even immobilize them, but the Ash Wizard got away with both of his comrades."

"And how was the magic amplified?"

"The Creation Wizard - or Vivaldius, as he called himself - said that his chain could absorb the magic of my sword with each blow. His weapon also felt sturdier and stronger, even though there were no changes to the appearance or size."

Fuegoleon purses his lips and clasps his hands together. "This is disturbing information. I will bring it up with the other squad leaders, but for now, stay inside the squad base and call off future training sessions."

"Understood. And Captain?"

"Yes?"

"Are there any files on Moon Shade? Any information that you can give me?"

"Of course." Fuegoleon rummages through a stack of papers before handing me a folder. "But if you're going to take action against them, come to me first."

"Of course, Captain." Holding the folder tightly, I give a slight bow and leave the room.

I'm halfway to my room when I hear a thundering of footsteps, and Leopold suddenly races out from around the corner. He sees me, and the look of worry on his face instantly disappears. Rushing up to me, he places his hands on my shoulders and says, "Mari! You're okay!"

"Yeah. Of course. Why do you ask?" I give him a quizzical expression.

He laughs and hugs me, combing his fingers through my hair. "Well, I was worried! Your first encounter with them... wasn't great." When he pulls away, he notices to folder that I'm holding. "Hey, what's that?"

"Information on the Moon Shade gang, which is just the right thing I need."

"For what?"

"Taking them down, of course." I give him a sly grin.

Minutes later, we're in his room, each paper spread out on his desk. Slowly, we start to piece together the creation of Moon Shade. Only six members have been sighted, but the actual count of associates is unknown. Their past criminal record shows that they are linked with kidnappings of wizards across Clover. So that's why they took me. They weren't targeting me specifically, they were just after someone at the Crimson Ball in general. I look over their photos, and spot the Ash Wizard, the Creation Wizard, and the pigtail girl. But the other three are unknown strangers; I'll have to watch out for them. Their base of operations hasn't been tracked down yet, and though the six were imprisoned three times, they always managed to break out.

"Mari," Leopold speaks up suddenly. "I don't like this idea of yours. They've already escaped from prison so many times, what good will it do to just send them back? And how are you even going to take them in? There could be thousands of members."

"If they're escaping so many times, it means that they have outside help, most likely from their members. But taking down the whole gang will eliminate that possibility," I respond. These guys are just going to keep bothering me, keep making attempts at kidnapping me, unless I do something about it.

"But how are you going to do it?"

"Simple. They want me as their leader, right? So that's what they're going to get."

Leopold's eyes widen as he realizes what I mean. "No, nope, no way. You are not going to infiltrate this gang. They have plans for you! They'll want to brainwash you or something!"

"I won't let them. I'll prove my 'loyalty' by doing something else. I can always use the squad's resources to fake it."

"It's still too dangerous! You're strong, but this is an entire organization we're talking about! They also seem very unpredictable! You don't know what's going to happen!"

"Leo, look: a full frontal assault isn't guaranteed to work. It'll take time to find out where they are, and even more to gather everyone up. And who knows, they might just slip away and escape."

He crosses his arms, but gives in. Huffing, he looks away. "I still don't like it."

Sighing, I stand up and give him a flick on the forehead.

"Ow! What was that for?!"

"You get to go on dangerous, long-term missions all the time, so why don't I?"

"Well... That's because... You see... Urgh! Fine, your plan just might work," he concedes, but he doesn't look too happy about it. I grin and give him a peck on his head, and he gives me a soft smile.

After we clean up the mess of papers and place them back in the file, we walk to Fuegoleon's office. He looks surprised to see me again so soon, but that fades into a serious pondering as I tell him my plan. Much like Leopold, he puts up an argument, but in the end, I manage to convince him to let me go along with the mission.

"Just promise me that you will stay in contact with Leopold. Give him whatever you find out about Moon Shade, and get out of there if things get dangerous. You're a valuable member of the squad, Mari. Don't make this Moon Shade mission your last."

"I understand, Captain. Thank you for your concern. So when should I head out?"

"Review your information thoroughly this week, and I'll send you off at the start of the next. Dismissed."

As we head back once again, Fuegoleon's voice crackles over the speaker, telling everyone to stay indoors, and about the threat of the Moon Shade gang. Later that night, I pore over the notes inside Leopold's room. I'm not even halfway through when it hits midnight, and Leopold has to drag me back to my quarters.

"Go to sleep already, Mari," he says, smiling as I thrash and try to race back for my precious notes.

Eventually, his strength wins over, and I shut the door with a promise to go to sleep.

"Good," he says, "Because you're not getting your notes back till tomorrow."

Darn. There goes my secret plan to stay up and sneak back to get them. I stick my tongue out of him and he chuckles, kissing the top of my head and wishing me goodnight before heading back to his room. 

I do eventually go to bed, but not after staring up at the stars for a bit. I'll take down Moon Shade. I'll lock them up once and for all.