Chapter 30: Secrets

All of the repressed, disgusting memories of my first capture by Moon Shade suddenly spring to life. They flash before my eyes, and I can almost feel the same pain I felt before. My mind is stuck on a loop of thinking No. No. No. But all I can do is lie limp as I am dragged towards my doom.

"Don't worry Princess, we'll take good care of you." The man's voice breaks through my cloud of dark thoughts and emotions. I harden an edge of magic around my hand and hack away at the chain. In response, the man starts to run towards me, but he's too slow. I roll out of reach as he tries to grab me. Picking up my sword, I face the two attackers.

"Why don't you call out your friend? Three against one is more of a fair fight to me." My lips quiver slightly as I force myself to smirk, throwing my bluff at them. If it actually works, I can fly out of range and hit them with my best spells.

"We're more than enough to take you, Princess! We'll show you that we're strong!" The crazy pigtail girl meets my smirk with her own, insane light flashing in her eyes. "Get her, Vivaldius!"

The black-haired man dashes forward, his chain ready in his hands. He throws it out like a whip before sending it spinning with deadly speed. I cut this thing up once before, and I can do it again! Enveloping my blade with fiery dark magic, our weapons clash and clang against each other. I throw myself into the fight, making him step back and jabbing at his body whenever I can. The problem is, his chain whip forms a deadly, flat shield that leaves almost no openings, and however much I hack away, the chain seems to be never ending.

The man notices my dilemma and smiles. "Don't look so shocked, Princess. We've found ways to become even more powerful than normal, so you can proudly lead us."

"Enough, Vivaldius! Show her your true power!" The pigtail girl screeches, looking absolutely delighted.

"Very well, Briar," Vivaldius replies. And then, faster than lightning, he slips something into his mouth and bites down hard. Instantly, a silvery glow surrounds him, and he screams as a shockwave pulses out from his body, throwing me back. I land on my back and roll to my feet, my sword in my hand. When I look up at Vivaldius, the silver glow now rests around his chain. He fixes his eyes on me and growls before charging.

His speed and strength are the same, but as soon as I exchange one blow with him, I know that something is off. The chain is sturdier and stronger, even though it still looks the same. He shouldn't be able to do this. Creation Magic doesn't give its user the ability to alter qualities of the creation unless there are also physical changes.

"Surprised, Princess? But you don't even know all of it. Each time my weapon comes in contact with yours, it will suck up a bit of the magic you've been coating your sword with. It's a hopeless battle, Princess. Just give up."

I try not to let my shocked emotions show on my face, but I instantly pull back, telling him that his words have gotten to me. Impossible! This is definitely something Creation Magic cannot do!

"What was that thing you ate?! How did it give you these powers?!" I shout, dodging a lash from his chain.

"I can't tell you that, Princess. But once you're part of Moon Shade, you will know all of our secrets."

"Not a chance in hell am I going to become one of you!" I snap back, still parrying and blocking with my sword. But I'm in big trouble; I was the one pushing him back before he gained these new powers, yet now he is overpowering me with each thrust of his chain.

I step away until I am against one of the forest's trees, solid wood and bark against my back. A maniacal grin slashes across Vivaldius' face as he continues to hack at my sword.