Chapter 39: Glass

We stumble into the Crimson Lions Headquarters at 1:00 in the morning, covered with dirt and bruises. Fuegoleon comes rushing out of his office as soon as he catches word of our arrival.

"Mari! Leo!" He wraps us both in a tight hug, scaring the living daylights out of me.

"C-Captain!" I squeak. "Do you have a fever?"

He steps back, perplexed. "Excuse me?"

"Nothing! I just never imagined you as the hugging type!" Just shut your mouth already, Mari!

Fuegoleon lets out a hearty laugh. "Do I not exude warmth and happiness, however?"

Leopold pipes up, "Yeah, right. You're all intimidation, Brother! Nothing warm and fuzzy!"

Fuegoleon laughs again, and Leopold gives me an exasperated but endearing look. Then Fuegoleon kneels and stares at both of us with his famed intensity. "Are you both alright?" He asks.

"Of course, Captain!"

"Of course, Brother!"

"Tell me what happened at Moon Shade. I know it's been a long night, but if they're after you, I need to know what the Crimson Lions are up against."

I stiffen at his words. He's right. Briar and Vivaldius could be tracking us right now. Knowing the two of them, an attack on the Squad isn't out of the question.

"There are four, possibly five, mages that we need to watch out for," Leopold says, his voice taking on a seriousness that I've rarely seen come out. "Sebastian, Briar, Vivaldius, the shifter, and maybe Mari's righthand man."

"Mithras," I correct him. "I don't know his powers, but he's sneaky and cunning."

"Right. Sebastian's a Spacial Mage. He's obsessed with Mari, and he's the leader of Moon Shade. Briar's an Poison Mage, and she's unpredictable. Vivaldius is a Creation Mage. If he takes those Fire Flower pills, then he'll be a real problem. The shifter..." he trails off.

"Bellona," I step in. "She fights with no emotion, but she's deathly loyal to Sebastian."

Fuegoleon nods and puts a finger to his chin. "Alright. I'll have guards stationed throughout the night, and the whole Squad will be alert."

"Oh! Leopold set fire to their base. It's possible that that could've done damage," I recall. "I also blasted a hole in the wall. It could've sent the place crashing."

"Then I will organize a search party that will set out tomorrow morning at 8:00am. Will the two of you accompany them and lead them to the base?"

"Of course, Captain," we both respond.

"Then it's settled. Now, get some rest, both of you. I need you in top shape tomorrow." He gives both of us a friendly pat on the shoulder, and then turns away, his cape billowing behind him.

Leopold and I leave the Great Hall together. We make a stop at the medicine portion of the Squad Base, picking up healing salves and bandages. Then, hand in hand, we walk down to the lowest level. The night air is cold, but my skin still tingles with the prickling warmth of Leopold's flames as well as the aura of the Fire Flower grove. I squeeze Leopold's hand as we turn a corner. The wall turns into a series of arches, allowing us to view the tiny garden that resides on this level.

A dizzying blast of deja vu hits me as we walk past the garden. "Leo," I breathe, realizing what this place actually means to the both of us. He turns his head towards me, confused. "This is it. This is the place where I ran into you. Remember? God, you were sweaty. And a jerk." I teasingly poke him in the arm.