chapter I; history

Clunkered streets were filled with roaming citizens, especially on a typically rare sunny day. The shops lined against the buildings, shouting of advertisements and clouded smoke from Noble pipes. A trickle of yesterdays rain dribbled off of the worn roof, slightly soaking a nearby Guard's coat. He grimaced in disgust as the sewage stained his shoulder.

Children ran past him, hitting the wooden columns with sticks. "H-hey, stop it now!" He grumbled as they stuck their tongues out, teasing him. He stood next to a brothel, being harassed by the usual women who worked there.

Snapped out of his daze, the usual ring of the mid-day bell rang through his eardrums. "Time's up, Daneil. It's my turn now." Another Guard pushed past him with a smug grin. Daneil rolled his eyes, shoving his shoulder playfully. He chuckled, Daneil seemingly un-amused.

The women giggled as the man shouted out to them with compliments, he being swarmed by half undressed prostitutes. "My favorite time of the day." He purred into one of their ears, nibbling the earlobe.

"Goodmorning Ser." A middle aged woman nodded towards Daneil. "Mornin'." He nodded back, taking off his metal helmet. Sweat glazed over his lengthy brown hair, causing him to shove it back. He squinted through the crowd, avoiding being trampled by horses and hurrying servants.

"Home so early?" Amelie chirped from outside, picking from the garden. Daneil took the basket from his wife, giving her a kiss. The door creaked open by the servants. Daneil plopped the vegetables onto the table, kicking off his leathered boots into a corner. "Always, my bird." He sighed. He took freshly scrubbed boots from the doorway, slipping them on.

Servants helped him out of his uniform, taking them outside for a washing. He rolled his shoulders back, stretching after hours of standing in one position. "Would you like a bath, my Lord?" Judith asked. "No thank you." He smiled. She curtsied, placing the bucket of water by the basket.

Amelie groaned, holding onto her stomach. Daneil escorted her to a nearby stool. "You really shouldn't be working with child." He looked at her hidden belly. She rolled her eyes, fanning herself. "I will manage." She scoffs.

"Right..." He trailed off. He began sauntering to the window, gazing out in search for something. She hummed, watching her husband's face. "What is it?" She asked, lifting herself back onto her feet. Daneil purses his lips, "Where's Sam?" His head turned, peering around the corners.

"Supposedly out with some friends. Who knows, he doesn't tell me much these days." Amelie looked down, crossing her arms. "He's just a boy turning into a man- you know how that works." Daneil chuckled, taking her face into his hands. "Don't worry about it." He planted a kiss onto her messy head of blonde curls.

"I'll stop worrying when he stops acting like we don't exist." She shifted to the bucket of water, preparing to rinse off the carrots. Daneil pursed his lips from saying anything more. He turned to the stairway leading to the Undercoft just underneath the Kitchens.

The bricked stairwell curved around, making the steps harder to find. "Ingrid, bring me a torch." He called up, stretching a hand out. Grabbing hold of the metal torch held out for him, he regain his sight within the tunnel. The echoes of each step bounced off the walls, almost sounding as if someone were to follow behind. Subconsciously, Daneil looks over his shoulder. He clears his throat before brushing it off.

Coming face to face to a sealed off door, he pushes it open without struggle. Cobwebs and dust clouded the disturbed air. Daneil covered his mouth and nose as he entered the candle lit room. Taken back by the already flickered candles, Daneil reaches for his dagger sheathed beneath his belt. His eyes scanned the room carefully.

"Calm down, Daneil." A creaky old man's voice startled Daneil to fall back, soon follow by a laugh. The grey bearded man turned, slamming a large tome shut. Candles were snuffed with the sudden breeze, filling the air with smoke. "Fuck, Wilmont." He shook, dusting himself off.

"What're you doin' here?" He complained, throwing his hands into the air. "My job." Wilmont snorted. Daneil threw his dagger onto the nearest table, scattered with letters and scrolls. Wilmont grunted as he quickly moved his work away from the blade. Annoyed, his hooded eyes glared at Daneil.

The room was occupied with scattered books and pigeons in cages. A small rectangled window laid above a desk tainted with oil and feathers. The smell of burning wax filled Daneil's nostrils. "I thought you were out of town." he shrugged.

Wilmont cautiously watched Daneil as he roamed his work space. "So you thought you could snoop, yes?" he crossed his arms. His squinted eyes watched his every move around the room. "Yes, actually." Daneil laughed, "I wanted more information on those dreams Amelie keeps having."

"Is that so..." The old man trailed off. He began searching the shelves, knocking off multiple tomes and files onto the floor. "Ah!" He yelped, raising a leather back into the air. "Dream interpretations." He tossed the book into Daneil's chest.

The cover was decorated in golden textiles and accents such as tree limbs and their family crest; an owl. Flipping it open, symbols and meanings flooded the pages. He flipped through them, coming across a marking she'd seen. Unable to fit the pieces together, he throws the book down in frustration. "This is rubbish." Daneil swallowed, knitting his eyebrows in confusion. 

Reaching out for the book, he flips to the same page, "What could this mean?" He shrugged, looking towards Wilmont. Pointing to what seemed to be a dancing elf, playing the flute with the bottom half of a goat. The old man sighed, readjusting his tatted robe. "I suppose I'll have more work to do, huh?" He waddled towards Daneil, snatching the book from his grasp. He began analyzing it.

"Fun, fun, fun..." He groaned, sitting himself back at his desk. He rose his hand, shooing Daneil from the room. "I've work to do." He yawned tiredly. 

____

A/N

This Chapter has been edited, so the comments might not add up or make sense as for they were referring to the old version of the story!