chapter IX; a painted past

The misted sun of dawn rose above the mountains whilst birds chirped and pecked at the dampened ground. The light honey glow crept through the arched window and onto Samuel's shut eyes. Feeling warmth on his face, his eyes flickered open only to squint at the glaze of light. Feeling well rested and rather comfortable on his bed made out of feathers and wool. A patterned quilt barely covered his torso, causing him to shiver from a random gust of wind.

Samuel sat in bed, his body still tired and sore. Small bare feet pattered on the stone floor, only to stop at the wooden door decorated in vines and painted flowers. The door swung wide open, causing Sam to jump with hands covering his bare body. His face reddened, with only a quilt to cover himself. He faced a woman of small stature and pasty white skin. Her almond eyes roamed his body out of curiosity. 

They stood staring at one another until she awkwardly bowed, her baby blue silk dress trickled from her shin and to the ground. Her neckline plunging mid-way down her stomach, revealing cleavage. Samuel's legs quivered underneath his blanket, "Can I help you?" He came off as harsh. 

"Breakfast, milord." She rose from the bow, giving him a nod before closing the door. Letting out a grumble, he slaps his face with both palms. Samuel pushed himself into a slouching position as his eyes roamed his unpacked belongings. Running a hand through his hair, he slowly set his feet onto the cold stone floor. Clenching his fingers and toes, he shudders as his legs lazily moved him towards a chest filled with ragged clothing. 

The door swings back open while Sam is bent over; being bare. He swung around, cupping himself with his hands and holding a horrified expression on his face. The same girl stands there at the doorway, holding a bucket of water and cloth towels. She looks over his body, shrugging and leaving the pale by the door as she quickly shuts it with a swift twirl. 

Samuel quickly rustled through his clothing, hastily pulling them over his head and legs. Letting out a puffed sigh, he threw his boots onto the ground and slipping his feet into them without tying the laces. Slightly tripping over himself, he makes it out of the door and down a stairwell. 

"Goodmorning, Samuel." Daneil chriped, taking a long sip from his wooden cup. The taste of honey mixed with mashed corn berries coated his tongue and throat, making it harder and harder for him to set the drink down. He gulped quickly, noticing one of the pale women sauntering over with a plate of perfectly powdered biscuits. "My Lord." She set the plate in-front of Daneil. He nodded a 'Thank you' before she glided away, the light blue train followed from behind.

"'Moring." He nervously sat across from his father. Sam's eyes were kept aside, focusing on the women giggling in the kitchen, ways from the dining hall. One of the girls' sharp eyes landed onto his own, causing him to hesitantly turn away and face his food. In the corner of his eyes, he caught her holding the gaze meanwhile the others continued their chatter in a distinctive language.

His mind reverted to his mother, looking around, he found her nowhere to be seen. "Where is mom?" Sam croaked out, reaching across to grab a biscuit. Daneil leaned back into his chair, wiping his mouth, "The baby is being stubborn, as always." He snuffed out a husky laugh. Amelie had been eight months pregnant, inching to nine. Most said she would've already popped the bairn out many moons ago. Nights and hours, attempting to break her water, only to fail every attempt.

Daneil caught onto his son's nervous behavior, re-positioning himself to lean forward and rest his elbows onto the table. He bit down his smirk, rubbing his scruffy chin. "Have an incident, aye?" His father playfully winked. Samuel kept quiet, shoving food into his cheeks. Daneil shook his head, pushing himself out of his seat. He walked around, giving Sam a hard pat on the back as he walked out.

Sam sighed, throwing his fork onto his plate and made way to the front doors. Opened windows lined the hallway, tree branches and vines crawled through and made patterns on the cracked walls. His pace slowed down as he examined the interior. The vines still beaming with life, and vibrated as if they were alive. The window looked down into a court yard filled with flowers and paintings upon the walls.

A painting of an angel, thought Samuel as his eyes grazed the outline of a graceful woman, resembling Medrith but younger. An owl sat upon her lifted forearm, looking at Medrith's simple grin on her rosy painted canvas of skin. 

"Beautiful, isn't she." A soothing voice whispered into his ear. Strangely, not frightening him. Only to set a calm chill down his spine, he welcomed the sensation. "Yes." His mind gathered to speak out. "'Tis Medrith, our Mother." The voice shifted to his side, the same woman to have came into his room. His eyes shifted to graze her appearance, taking in the sight of snow white hair that trickled down her spine and fell over her shoulders. 

Her features were sharp but yet smooth and almost like an ice sculpture. Her lips plumped with a peachy tint, fading into her milky white skin at the edges. Her ears were slightly pointed, but resembled a faun. Samuel's eyes slowly reaches her eyes that had a honey glow but glazed over with a sense of despair.

"Mother?" He asked curiously. She nodded, turning her chin, "She created us." 

EDITED BY ME

EDITED BY ME

____

A/N

This Chapter has been edited, so the comments might not add up or make sense as for they were referring to the old version of the story!