chapter X; old friends

The sky was gloomier than usual and the incoming thunder rumbled as if a thousand rhinos marched towards the gates of Mendwell. A storm that only rolls around once a year. In the far fields outside of the gated Kingdom sat a raggedy cottage, strange ornaments hung from the roof. The wooden trinkets rattled as the harsh winds pushed like waves against the rotting panels that held up the small shack.

Heat lightening struck through the blackened sky as the storm closed in. Desaris, the local batty woman, peeked out of her shutters. Slamming them shut, she blocked the window with a chair. A loud knock came from the door besides her, startling the old woman. She hesitantly inched the door open, peering out of the corner of her eye. A soaked figure shivered, causing Desaris to become cautious. 

"State your business." She croaked.

"Shelter, ma'am." The figure coughed. "Merely a place to stay for day or two."

Desaris huffed, looking over the figures shoulder and out towards the woods. She shifted her gaze back to the person underneath the woolen blanket draped around their head and shoulders. She pondered within her thoughts before finally inviting the stranger in with a scarce look.

"There's soup on the counter." She nodded towards the cauldron resting on the wooden table, accompanied with spices and jars. "Best be quiet, the night swarms with evil." Desaris shakily sauntered to the barred window. Desaris's misty blue eyes peeked over, beads rattled above her head. The light flicker of a candle flame reflected onto the clouded glass window and glazed over the outside view. Bats quickly scattered from the forest trees. She turned to blow out the candle, letting the darkness spread, hiding her face from the window.

The wind picked up, rustling the tree limbs and leaves. Bright yellow eyes, sparkled with red specks formed within the depths beyond the bushes. Dark figures rose from the darkness, making way to the surrounding towns. Their hind legs kicked, rooting to the ground whilst their backs hunched over. Some stood upright, almost like human.

"They found me." She whispered to herself, pursing her lips. She bolted the door, turning to face the hooded figure behind her.

"I know," The figure spoke. "I led them here." She laughed, pulling the quilt off of her face. Familiar red hair fell from the blanket and her pupils in slits, a scarred claw mark went through her left eye. A sinister smile rose from her lips, glistening fangs popped out. "Meet yer fate, Wollstone." Erin stood in the dark, clad in black leather.

Desaris backed up against the window, slowly reaching behind herself. Footsteps came from outside, clawing at the door caused Desaris to divert her attention to the claws piercing through the cracked wood. The shack shook forcefully, slightly crumbling. She pressed her back against the door, lifting her chin up. "My time may be up," she growled. "but so is yours."

Furious, Erin kicked the elder through the door and into the grasps of the Were's. Kicking and screaming, Desaris kicked a leg underneath a table that held up mystery jars. Glass shattered onto the floorboards, spitting out dusty condiments which made Erin hiss in pain. "You fucking bitch! Take her to camp." She screamed with her eyes shut from the cloud of poison. 

The shaggy wolves shook their fur in attempt to rid of the dust, dragging the unconscious woman into the woods. Erin stepped out of the wrecked cottage, being met by two other hooded figures. "I have another old friend to visit." She sniffled, crinkling her nose in disgust. Shifting her harsh gaze to the female and male, "Get the others ready." 

They nodded, twitching and crackling their bones into their Were form. "Go!" She screamed in frustration. Fearing Erin, the two scattered off into the wooded area along with the others.  Turning around to acknowledge her work, she grinned in pleasure. Snapping her head to the left she makes out two silhouettes making way to the secluded area. 

Snarling, she leaves with a grunt and runs the opposite way from the others. 

An older man and his son sauntered up to the shed with a dimly lit lantern, "What happened, Pa?" The teenage boy looked over to his father. Shrugging, the man turned to his son, "No idea, boy. Knowing this crazy ol' loon." He sighed, patting his boys back as he turned back to where they came from.  "Best not to worry at this point." He pursed his lips.

____

A/N

This Chapter has been edited, so the comments might not add up or make sense as for they were referring to the old version of the story!