chapter XV; war

"Shields!" Commanders yelled over their shoulders. Fields and fields of men raised five foot shields along with iron spears. "Nock!" Archers placed the arrows onto their bows. The sound of the ground being beaten by gigantic paws echoed through the woods and onto the field.

"Draw!" Archers pull their arrows back. The thundering inched closer. Nervous breathes were sucked in, knees buckling and elbows quivered. Trees shook and fell. Yellow and red eyes blinked, fangs glistened in the sunlight. Erin stood in the back, dressed in black leather and hair in braids. Her eyes in yellow slits and smothered with black. 

Her hand rose above her head, pointing her index and middle finger into the air. "Loose." She whispered, mocking the Toxophilite. The Were's sprinted and shoved their way into the battle field. Arrows were shot into the sky, nearly hitting Erin. The sky crackled with lightening, the air flooded with foggy blue mist.

Erin cackled maliciously as the heavy beasts slammed into the shielded men, knocking them onto the ground. Soldiers were shredded and torn into pieces. Screams and clanks of swords filled the void. "Unleash the canons!" King Grian shouted from above. He stood within castle walls, padded with armor, "Unleash hell." He seethed through his teeth.

Canons were wheeled out by archers, already packed and set to launch. "Fire!" Grian yelled. Men covered their ears meanwhile the loud boom vibrated eardrums. Iron fists hit the ground, knocking Were's down and killing them in one blow.

A tall and dark hooded figure loomed over Erin's shoulder, placing a long and slender hand onto her. "You've done well." His voice was smooth and hinder. She stiffened under his cold gaze, slowly turning to face him for a look of approval. His face pale and the same eyes as hers, he showed signs of aging underneath his dark circles. His pale and hardened lips turned up into a sly grin. 

"They should be coming soon, child." He patted her shoulder as he gave a slow nod. 

Feeling a sense of guilt within Erin's gut, she pressed her eyes shut. Flaring her nostrils, she snares. "And they will die." The guilt was washed away with anger, her eyes snapped open, a blood red filled her orbs. 

In the far east of the woods, Dryads ran around the small man-made Kingdom, growing vines and trees to block off the surrounding area. The shady sky barely shined through the borrowed Kingdom, the halls and usual occupied garden now distraught; flowers welted and doors sealed shut.

"All who wish to fight, follow me now!" A male Dryad shouted from outside, wielding a staff and loose clothing. He waved his hand over the vine wall, opening a pathway to the other side. Groups of women and men ran through the tunnel, some transforming into creatures. 

"Scout the areas in disguise- don't let them know it's you." Medrith said to the followers. Worry and sorrow sparked in her now dull eyes. "Have faith, my children." She whispered. 

Daneil grabbed a sword and knife, tucking them into his leather belt. "Come back alive, Daneil." Amelie grabbed his wrist before he could make it out of the door. She held tightly onto Emmre, giving him a hard and passionate kiss.

"Always, my bird." He gave a cocky smirk before kissing the baby on the head.

Samuel ran passed Amelie, only to be yanked back. "What do you think you're doing?" She held a confused look. He swallowed, switching looks between his mother and father. "Fighting." Sam pursed his lips together.

Before Amelie could protest, she stopped herself. "Alright," She said quietly. "Just be careful." She choked down a sob before forcing a smile and pushing him playfully out the door.

She sighed, closing the door and sealing it shut. 

Sam pushed objects infront of the door, swiftly turning around in search of Astris. Spotting her, he shouted out for her, "Astris!" She twirled around, holding a worried facial expression. "What are you doing?" He asked, stomping over. She looked around, "Fighting." She gestured to the others. 

He clenched his teeth, grabbing her behind the neck. He pulls her closer, their faces only inches apart. "Stay with me." He whispers, resting his forehead against hers. Her pupils dilated, scanning Samuel's face before she forces her lips onto his. Feeling a spark, he winces. They paused, sharing a gaze before inching in to kiss once more. 

"I love you." She whispers before twirling around and shape-shifting into a fawn.  

Dumbfounded, Samuel watched her skip through the dark and gloomy woods before running behind her. 

____

A/N

This Chapter has been edited, so the comments might not add up or make sense as for they were referring to the old version of the story!