chapter XIV; one step closer

Women and children cried out as their husbands and fathers slammed against the hairy beasts, soon collapsing onto the ground with lifeless, hollow eyes. Pitchforks and kitchen knives stuck out from the Were's back, seemingly unaffected from the puncture.

"Mama!" One child screamed, reaching his hands out in a sad attempt to escape the beasts grasp. Blood and muddied soil darkened by the minute, farms now in despair and utter ruin from the sudden attack and thundering storm.

Tormod Altman hid behind barrels, shielding his wife and his daughter. The child began sniffling into his blood soaked chest, silently whimpering. "Mildred, take Una." He grumbled, shakily standing up. His wife shook her head, eye filled with terror.

He swallowed, looking down before turning towards the Were. His hand reached down before swinging an axe over his shoulder- it soared through the air, landing in-between it's eyes. Tormod turned around, "Come on, go! Go!" He urged his family, sprinting towards the gates.

Medrith's piercing golden eyes flung open, causing her to flinch as her pupils dilated. Her ebony eyelashes fluttered, blinking away the incoming tears. She held onto the branches that intertwined into a throne, and coated with moss. One of the young elves turned to notice her distress, hurringly throwing herself to her feet. "Sweet mother, what did you see?" Her curious flaxen eyes widened.

"I'm afraid what I've seen had already happened." Medrith's usual milky voice now cracked and hoarse, "Gather the others, for we have a catastrophic event heading our way." Her soft and silky hands gripped onto the smaller elf, leaning her forehead against hers.

An image flashed through her mind, within seconds of seeing it, she had already known. Medrith shared the vision with merely a touch, sending the young girl into a frantic run through the halls. Medrith leaned back, slipping away into her thoughtless dreams. Her body stiffening against the cold roots. 

Snapping images flew across her mind, seeing the same faces, her eyes rolled back into her head;

Tormod and multiple other farmers stood within the palace court, coated in dirt and blood. Their eyes seemed tiresome, awaiting word from the king. A guard sucked in a breathe, whispering into Grian's ear.

King Grian sat on the edge of his throne, tapping his foot furiously. "An attack..? O- on my soil? Ha!" He laughed; not because it was funny, because he was in disbelief. He waved the young man away, setting his eyes on the wounded farmers. His grey eyes landed on the the children in the back. Unusual waves of grief picked at his stomach. 

Grief soon turning into anger, he shook his head, flaring his nostrils His eyes scanned the royal guard, "Who wasn't standing guard, ay?" His thin lips were firmly pushed into a forced smile, his anger showed within. His foot uncontrollably tapped against the floor. Awaiting a word, he was met with none. He scoffed loudly, rubbing in-between the bridge of his nose. 

The entire court shuffled uncomfortably, the hard and guilty swallows around them could be heard from every crowd. Eyes were plucked off of the king, looking around for an able victim for the kings outrage. Lee poked around the throne, leaning over Grian's shoulder; "Sire, you told us to train day and night." 

Grian's eyes rolled to the back of his head as he pursed his eyelids shut. He huffed out a loud and raggedy sigh, slowly lifting his old eyes open. Beating his fist against the armrest of his chair, he realized his mistakes. "Sound the alarms, gather all who you can and DO NOT FAIL." His voice was raised, nearly shaking the keep walls.

The sound of heels scatted out of the courtroom, men frantically running from weapon rack to weapon rack. Shouting could be heard from outside, along with the hooves of horses took off. Bells started to ring and citizens panicked. The king's eyes turned worrisome as he turned his gaze to Lee. They shared the same face of defeat and fear. 

Medrith was shook out of her fainting spell by the young male Dryads, barely being able to open her eyes, they began carrying her body as she went limp. 

____

A/N

This Chapter has been edited, so the comments might not add up or make sense as for they were referring to the old version of the story!