chapter VI; home

Daneil threw the last bit of their belongings into the back of the carriage, strapping it down with rope. Saying farewell to his home and the ones managing it, he carefully slips a note to Wilmont. Giving each other a silent nod, the old man gives Daneil a firm pat on the back. "Farewell, old friend." he smiled profoundly. "As you." Daneil sighed, returning the pat. 

Samuel blinked, throwing a rock towards the city; mentally attacking the King whom had banished him from his home. Turning around, he kicked his foot up hitting the wooden wagon wheel. Walking over to the side of the carriage he hoists himself up and into the seat with a huff. Amelie sat with Sam holding onto his hand with a comforting smile, "Everything will be alright." Daneil hopped into the left side, flinging the reins into the air with a "Hyah!"

The rain soaked the soil, coating the ground in thick brown mud as trail of wheels were left behind. A blank mind and blank face, Samuel's eyes scanned the back woods of their old home, in hope he'd see Erin just walk out of the trees, ready to great him with her sharp eyes and soft smile.

The roads were bump and long. Branches hit and scraped the sides of the carriage, acorns fell and birds scrambled from tree to tree. His head rested on the wooden bar connected to the roof above, his eyes grazed the damp ground. The afternoon glaze looked like honey, the tree leaves were soaked and droplets of water sloshed into puddles from the light drizzle of rain from before. The sun peeked through the branches; the sky pink and orange with a hint of yellow stars behind the hazy clouds caught Amelie's tired gaze.

Her head slumped onto Daneil's shoulder, eyes roaming the sky. Samuel and Amelie were jolted out of their deep sleeps by the sudden stop of the carriage. The wheels creaked and knocked against the rusted wood and iron bolts, causing Daneil to groan in frustration. She lazily adjusted herself, lifting her matted head from her husbands leather coated shoulder. Her eyebrows knitted, "Why are we stopping?" She moaned.

Daneil pursed his lips, leaning over to nuzzle his face into her neck, leaving a soft kiss on the ear. "Just a moment." He whispered. She nodded quietly, pulling a quilt over herself and Sam. Daneil sighed, hopping out of his seat. He started circling around, patting one of the horses on the back in a calming manner. Clearing his throat huskily, he bends over in an attempt to adjust the reins to a comfortable fit. Finding no problem, he furrows his brows in confusion. "Bloody hell?" He muttered to himself.

The horses had stopped the carriage, causing Daneil to assume an issues within their harness's. Nothing was to be found. Letting go of a deep sigh, he loosened his coat. Shaken, he felt. The sun soon dissolved into near darkness, the only source of light from the lit lanterns hanging off of the carriage.

Leaves rustled from behind, the horses began to huff. Their heels stomped, and their hocks kicked up. The carriage shook, waking Samuel and Amelie. Daneil tried calming the beasts as well as his family- finally quieting them all enough to hurryingly take hold of a lantern in hand and stand guard in front of his wife as the rustling neared.

Samuel reached for the sword poking from the luggage's, tossing it towards his father. Taking hold of his own dagger from his boot, he stood to the side. Daneil swallowed, urging them all to pull over their hoods as he did.

The rustling stopped, as did the wind. The flames from the lanterns went with the wind, now, only in darkness. Big, yellow eyes popped from the nearest tree stump, stopping a single breathe."Who are you?" Daneil demanded. 

The eyes blinked curiously, the gaze sharp and intensified towards their standing presence. A small and rounded body followed with the eyes, shifting across the stump. The small prong-like-feet padded around, perching and prancing gracefully. The creature ruffled it's feathers- the moon light soon shimmered off the white polished coat.

Daneil hesitated, holding dearly into his sword. He wielded it in his right hand, praying he wouldn't have to use it. Mysterious, the stark white owl examined the northerners. Her eyes dropped to Ser Wollstone's worn and rugged hand; he wielded a sword beneath his shadow. She perked, noticing what seemed to be a threat. Her bright yellow eyes flickered: "I am Medrith from Sheamora. Who are you?" She furrowed her feathered eyebrows questionably at the man.

The silence within the wooden outskirts almost began to numb their ears. Creatures of the night chattered quietly above, crunching on twigs and watching from beyond the branches. Medrith's pointed ears flickered, listening to the conversations the critters had.

Ser Wollstone gently examined the owl, sheathing his weapon. Feeling no threat from the Druid, he lifted his hood off his head and pushed forward. "Daneil Wollstone." he swallowed his pride, taking a knee before Medrith. As if expecting, Medrith lifted her head as she would a chin. She was pleased, blinking her eyes in approval.

Medrith began twitching, flaring her wings out as if she was stretching. Feathers popped and trickled off of her body, slowly transforming. Her eyebrows still feathery and her illuminating eyes glistened in the dark. Daneil raised his gaze back up to the owl; an owl no more.

Amelie gasped, A Goddess, Amelie thought- she dropped to her knees, bowing before Medrith. "Daneil- she's the one!" His wife exclaimed. After the sudden realization, Daneil turned back to the Elf, "What are you?" 

Medrith's lips rose into a tilted grin, "Whatever you wish; I shall be." Daneil held his eyes set upon the elf, reaching down to pick up his wife. "She's whom I saw in my dreams." She whispered. Medrith flickered her eyes across the sky, twirling about. "Indeed," Her voice smooth.

"Samuel has too." She said, lifting a slender finger into the air. A butterfly, golden and brown in color lands on her fingertip. She tilts her head, as if their eyes communicated.

Daneil and Amelie turned to a shocked Samuel, "In the forest... that was your voice?" He asked. She merely nodded, focusing on the nature around her. "And your grandmother." She turned back, facing Sam. "She's the one who sent me to guide you." Her arms flew up, sending a white mist to form around the Nobles.

"I came from another realm as I previously said," Her voice echoed. The mist transforming into a landscape, greenery and dryrads ran about. A younger woman, very much pregnant like Amelie, but with the hair of Daneil, and the eyes of the scorching sea.

Daneil's eyes flickered in disbelief, "That's my mother." He pointed, holding onto his wife. Samuel fell more into the view of a brick arch, covered in vines and ferns. A welcoming feel, he thought. Another building far off into the distance caught his eye- "What's that?" He turned to Medrith.

"Your new home." Her thin lips formed a smile. 

____

A/N

This Chapter has been edited, so the comments might not add up or make sense as for they were referring to the old version of the story!