chapter VIII; dead men

A hooded figure walked over the begging men on the ground, grinning at the sound of their bones crushing beneath her partner's teeth. "Please-" A hand gripped onto her ankle, pleading for his life as he coughed up his own blood. She grunted, kicking him off as another hooded figure came up behind her. He crouched down with a devious smile, "No peace for the wicked." His voice whispered in a husky tone. Raising his fist up into the air and plunging it into his chest, his ragged hand tore out the man's heart. 

"You're disgusting." She kicked the bursting heart out of his grasp. "What? Can't have fun?" He stood back up, pushing her out of the way forcefully. "We're not supposed to have fun, we're on duty." She spat back. He turned to face her, growling as his eyes slowly turned a reddish yellow. Hers did the same, but only to be turned back to her natural color as her ears perked up due to the sound of nearby people and the hooves of horses in the distance. 

He noticed it too, quickly pulling her back into the woods as they slowly transformed into beasts; almost like wolves but scrawnier. Running away, they let out a signalling howl. More hooded figures, and some already transformed, turn to run into the woods as the people began closing in. 

Townsfolk and Guards ride up to the scene on horses and wagons. "Right where I saw it!" A farmer pointed. Lee turned his head to face the area of destruction. Hopping out of the wagon with other Guardsmen, he jogs over to examine the bloodied and torn bodies spread across the muddy pathway, dents and bite marks punctured through the Mendwell Guard armor. The once mighty and proud crest of The Kingdom sat soaked in blood of the brave men who fought to the death. Lee stood above the bodies, carefully stepping around while his squire followed behind, tripping over his own feet. 

Flags and tabards were torn to shreds across the massacre. Lee leaned over to pick up a patch of fur with peeling skin attached. "Take notes, Zackary." He flicked the torn flesh towards the small boy. The squire shrieked in fear and disgust, accidentally fumbling his stained note pad around as he struggled to walk around the broken limbs. "Yes, my Lord." His small voice croaked.

The dead and decaying bodies were hauled and thrown onto slabs of wood, taken to the apothecary. "No one made it out alive, from the looks of it." A short and stubby man kneeled next to one of the bodies, pricking and pulling at the hands and feet. "Small limbs, bones- must've been a boy." He called out to his assistant Mary. She wrote down the list of names based off of who was on duty of the time during the attack. 

She picked up her layered skirt, kneeling next to what seemed like a broken nail; long, pointed and flesh buried into the crevasses. "Mr. Mctavish." She turned, handing over the nail. Mctavish placed it upon a dirtied piece of cloth, examining it. He adjusted his glasses, rubbing his fat nose with a sniffle. "Aye," he furrowed his bushy brows, "seems like Ser Wollstone had been right." He sighed. "Erm.. help these gentlemen take the bodies up the hill, Mary."

She nodded, pushing herself onto her bruised and swollen feet. Mary patted and swatted at her apron, cleaning it off as she ran to aid the struggling haulers, "Put your backs into it! It's not like they're already dead." She snapped sarcastically.

Lee made his way to Mr. Mctavish, nervously picking at his own skin. "Any news?" His voice sounded hoarse, causing the old man to jump. He let out a rugged cough, "Aye, uh-" he stuttered as he struggled to regain his train of thought. He slipped his glasses off, cleaning them with his sleeve before putting them back onto his hooked nose.He sighed, turning to the rugged man in armor, "None made through-" 

"I meant about the Were." Lee sighed. "Right." Mctavish cleared his throat, gulping before he reached through his pocket. "Mary- my assistant, a- a lovely girl, she truly is-" Lee stared at him with a twitching eye. Noticing the glare he was receiving, the old man smacked his lips shut. "She found this." He lowered his voice as he struggled to unravel the talon like nail. 

Lee impatiently grabbed it from his hand, forcibly tearing the nail from the cloth. He and the doctor stood frozen as they watched with their own eyes as the nail slowly shriveled into a human nail. Mr. Mctavish looked up to Lee, "Very big news indeed." he muttered as he shuffled around to gather his belongings, and shoving them into his bag. "M- Mary!" He shrieked, running up the hill with huffing and puffing. 

EDITED BY ME

EDITED BY ME

____

A/N

This Chapter has been edited, so the comments might not add up or make sense as for they were referring to the old version of the story!