chapter III; dreams

CHAPTER SONG(S): 

All The Pretty Girls; Kaleo

A scream that couldn't be heard- but a whisper that could. Darkness floods through the forest like a blanket would.

Can anyone be saved from this life of an endless cave?

Help, she cried.

Help, she tried.

Erin's eyes slowly began to open, only to think she was either blind, or dead. She started patting the ground, feeling her way through what felt like a cave. Her legs shifted around, trying to push herself up only to be knocked down by force.

A sting spread across her left eye, down into her veins. Blood scabbed over her eyelid, unable to open it. She tried flexing her fingers, only to wince in agonizing pain; what felt like her nails being torn from their sockets. Tears began flooding down her flustered cheeks, only a whimper to be heard.

Rustling began shuffling behind her, causing her to panic. The sound of bare feet padded towards her as she kicked her legs, backing up into a large rock. "Welcome." A deep voice breathed down her neck.

A hurling scream wakes Samuel up, causing him to fling himself out of bed. He pants, drenched in sweat. His immediate thought is of Erin. Pain, he felt. Mental and psychical. He walked to the nearest mirror, taking a long look at his self. He was pale, and eyes were bruised. Cuts were stitched and sensitive.

He sighed, looking down at his hands. They were dirty, and nails were broken. "It wasn't a dream, then." he thought to himself. Slowly dressing himself, he winces at every movement he took.

Hurriedly, he shuffles into the dining hall, nearly bumping into the table. "Samuel." His mother dropped a plate, embracing him. She gently rubs his back, furrowing her eyebrows. "Just a bad dream, is all." He said, brushing it off.

"You've got court today." Daneil sat at the end of the table, drinking his mead. "But it's been only a day-" Sam raised his voice before being calmed down by Amelie. He sat down, stubbornly picking at his bread. "I didn't do anything, I swear by my life."

Daneil sighed, "We know, but the Royal Court do not." Amelie nodded, comforting Samuel with a pat on the shoulder. "Will they kill me?" Sam's voice cracked. "No! Not at all, Samuel. You are Noble blood, son. Unless you were a peasant then... possibly." Daneil shrugged and began eating.

Amelie gasped, shooting her husband a disapproving look. "What your father mean, is that we won't let anything happen to you." she smiled sweetly before sauntering off into the kitchens. "What about Erin? She's a peasant." Sam looked at his father.

He blinked at the question, thinking of something to say. "I- uh..." Samuel shot back up before he could finish. "I'm going for a walk." he seethed through his teeth. Daneil gulped, feeling ashamed as Sam burst through the doors and down the road leading up to their home. Headed to the same entrance he went to yesterday, he found an alternative way in.

It was boarded up, but loosely falling apart. With no other questions or thoughts, Samuel had trespassed the forsaken area. His leather boots now covered in mud. Thunder suddenly crackled through the sky, rain started pouring like needles.

Now drenched, Samuel hadn't stopped. He was determined. He wasn't too sure of what, though. Feeling as if something was pulling him by a golden string, he followed a down an unfamiliar path. Just the mere image of a pathway was drawn out for him, leading him down a dreary dirt road.

Thunder, lightning and rain, all too loud for him to even notice; an owl, strikingly stunning in color. Her brightly colored eyes watched him like a hawk. Darting from tree to tree, she was seemingly unfazed or affected by the water. She gazed down at the boy, cocking her head slightly to the left, as she watched him slowly from above.

Samuel came across an abandoned stable, slipping underneath it. Sighing, he planted himself to the dry ground. The owl quietly chirped to herself, flying to the side of the stable. She suddenly shifted into an albino doe with a blink of an eye. Clopping her heels over, she peers over a stall. An aura of white and gold radiated off of her, almost lighting up the gloomy forest.

She felt interested, almost drawn to him. Shaking her head, she turns back and shifts back into an owl. Confused and lost, she flies off, heading into a nearby tree. "The time is not yet." she says to herself.

Samuel closed his eyes, feeling a floating sensation.

"Talk to me." Samuel pleaded, standing wearily in the middle of the forest. "Please!" He screams, falling to his knees. A force had overcome him, feeling drained and useless. Almost shutting his eyes, he sees a dim light dance around the river stream. A swirl, almost. "Erin?" He gasped. His vision blurry, a mist clouded his eyes. The light stopped, taking one look at Samuel before shooting into the sky. Beneath the sound of rain, laughter was heard.

Samuel jumped, flinching at the loud crash of thunder. "Holy shit." he picked himself back up, gathering himself together before making a run for it back home. Drenched in freezing muddy water, he managed to slip inside undetected. Only the trail of mud left behind, along with the horrified gasps of the servants.

He shed his clothing off as he entered his bed chambers, closing and bolting the door. Setting himself into bed, he tried closing his eyes again. Attempting to relax and revert back to the stage he had once been in. "Come on..." He groans, clenching his fists.

Frustration took over, causing him to hit himself in the head. "My Lord-" Leslie the servant knocked on the door carefully, "I've gotten your formal clothes for Court today." She shifted her weight, struggling with the heavy garments.

Sam sighed heavily, "I'll be right out." He hid the anger and confusion in his voice. Still obvious, she was taken back, "Yes ser." She turned to the other servants with a "Shoo!", causing them to scatter back to their chores.  

____

A/N

This Chapter has been edited, so the comments might not add up or make sense as for they were referring to the old version of the story!