0 | 3

"Well colour me shocked."
ice cream | ella

___

"WHAT!" My dad yelled. "WHY? WHY WOULD SHE GO TO REHAB? YOU WANT TO PUT HER IN THERE WITH ALL THE CRAZIES?"

"Mr. Lucoe, I don't say this because Ella has any issues warranting her to be there, but rather the fact that she could have round the clock care, spend time with kids her age, and attend the classes there if she wanted. Nurses are on hand. She could do more than just sit at home and come to hospital."

"No. No. You don't know Ella. She's my daughter." Dad pointed to his chest as if we didn't know he was my father. "What if they hurt her?" he whispered.

"No one would hurt her. Despite common misconceptions the teenagers are well tamed. Some even the nicest you would meet. They just have something that set's them apart. Just like Ella. You see, there's a lot of lonely kids in this world, but when you put them together, and stop setting them apart, they get a whole less lonely."

Well colour me shocked. He had me sold.

"I'll do it." I smiled.

"What? Ella, no." He gasped, mouth bobbing open and closed like a goldfish.

"Why not? You can go back to work dad and stop worrying about me 24/7. I could make friends dad. Please? If I don't like it I can leave and I can talk to you when I want, can't I?" Doc. Nodded. "See? It's worth trying dad." I gave him my best sad face.

"Fine. But not until next week. I need to organise somethings."

"Sure dad." Slapping my hands on my legs. "Well then. What now? Ice-cream?"

They both stared at me, shaking their heads.

___

"You know I might take classes while I'm there, it's not like if I fail them it will matter. Hell it would beat watching tv." I said licking my ice-cream cone. We sat in our spot like we do everyday, on the concrete wall looking out at the ocean and watching as the sky melted through colours.

Dad sighed, "Ella... I know being at home isn't that entertaining, and for that I'm sorry. But are you sure this is what you want?"

"It can't hurt to give it a try. After all you need to get back to work, you need this job. When I'm gone-"

"Ella!" Dad snapped. "Don't talk like that, you're not going anywhere."

It was my turn to sigh. "Dad you and I both know what's going to happen..." I swung my legs back and forth. "D-do you think I'll see mum? You know, when I die? Do you think she'll recognise me?"

"Sweetie of course you'll see her. Not for a good long time. Not until till your old and wrinkly." He poked me and I squealed. "But yes, she'll remember you, you were her little ellaphant." Tears welled in my eyes, and I pressed against dad trying to shelter myself from the ocean breeze.

"Okay" Dad said clearing his throat, and standing up. "Wanna see if they have any new vinyls at the store?" He smiled, I knew he was trying to take my mind off it all, and he did, he always knew how.

"Sure, let's go." I linked my arm with his as we walked down the promenade.

____

Dedicated to Devilchild0019 thanks for the support babe.