0 | 6

"How long you in the bin for?"

oceans | Jake

____

Shit.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

Looking up I found myself staring into Ella's crystal blue eyes as they glared at me.

If looks could kill. I'd be dead 5000 times over.

I looked to Mads pleading, before smoothing out my face into a blank canvas and looking back to Ella, who was no longer glaring, but rather looking like a deer caught in a car's headlights.

She looked damn cute.

No. Get of that train of thought out of your head Jake.

"Hi!" She squeaked, only adding to the cuteness.

"Well? Are you going to sit of what?" I Cursed myself for how cruel my voice sounded. She sat down, Mads sitting next to her on a seat instead of the table top for once.

I tipped my head down to continue reading L, trying to avoid Ella. I couldn't get involved with any more people, Mads was already one too many.

I heard Mads talking to her softly. She must have said something to make Ella laugh, the sound made my stomach tingle, I stared as her face lit up, her cute button nose scrunching up, drawing my attention to her tube.

I wonder what it's for.

God I hope it's not a feeding tube.

I only just got Mads better enough to leave-

Before I could finish that thought Mads ripped my book from my hands -a common habit of hers to get my attention- and she raised her brows at me, she must have noticed me staring from behind my book.

"So Ella..." Mads said giving me a look. "How long are you in the bin for?"

She looked so confused. It was adorable. "T-the bin?"

"The looney bin." I jumped in, her eyes jumped to mine frightened.

"Yeah. The place for the crazies" Mads cackled, circling her finger near her ear.

"Ummm..." She said that a lot I noticed, with every sentence really.

I wonder if it's a habit or nerves.

"Well, as long or short as I want..."

Wait. What.

I burst out all the sudden unable to wait any longer, my mind still on another track.

"What's the tube for?" She looked at me with sad eyes.

Something hit my face with a loud whack, causing people from other tables to stare.

"JAKE! YOU DON'T JUST ASK PEOPLE THAT! WHY AM I EVEN FRIENDS WITH YOU? YOUR SO BLOODY RUDE!"

"Owww! Sorry? SORRY!" My gear was pounding with shame.

I can't believe I just did that.

I looked at Ella and said softly. "Sorry. Y-you don't have to answer that..."

"No. No it's alright. The tubes to help me breathe." She said calmly.

Anger flared in my stomach. Knowing she needed help to breathe stirred something deep in me.

The want to fix whatever it was hurting her.

Stop Jake.

"Can you not breathe?" Mads asked softly, her face kind and warm as she looked at Ella.

See. That's what Ella needs. Mads. A kind, yet outgoing person. Not a sad fuck like you.

"I-I can breathe, it's... Just not very well. You see I-I have cancer. A tumour in my lungs, it causes them to fill with liquid that needs to be drained or I'll drown. The tube helps me."

My ears rang. Vision blurring. My mind screeched to a halt. Anger flaring again.

"And so they put you in here? With us?" I gritted out, fists curling at the thought of someone leaving her alone, when she's vulnerable like this. What about her parents? How could they do that to their kid?

"N-no. Doc. Recommended it so I can have care 24/7 if I need it, and I guess so I can take classes and be with people my age. So I can actually do something, instead of sitting at home all the time. Especially at this point..." She trailed off.

I realised what she was saying.

"How long?" I whispered.

She looked at me, I could see the tears sitting in her eyes, turning them to a bright glossy blue, as the ocean that filled them threatened to spill.

"6 months, they gave me six months'"

"And how long has it been?" Mads whispered this time.

"Four and a half," Ella choked out.

I stood abruptly. Feet slamming to the white tile floor and stormed out of the cafeteria.

We don't have time for this. We don't care. My mind screamed.

But my mind was wrong.

I did care.

And it hurt like hell.

___

The feels are real guys...
Also school starts back in a week so there will be less updates and I also have a big Uni exam worth 50% so yeah I need to study big time... I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.