Same Sound, Different Meaning

We all know these words.
The words that sound the same, yet they have completely different meanings.

Let's face it, we've all stuffed up with these words at least a couple dozen times.

Here's a list of some of these words and how to tell them apart (Note: This list does not contain ALL the similar sounding word groups. Just a few):

Your - Refers to something belonging to the character. E.g. "Can I pat your cat?"
You're - Combination of 'You' and 'Are'. E.g. "You're [You Are] beautiful."
How to remember the difference? If you're writing one of these two words and are unsure of which to use, read the sentence and say "You Are" instead of "Your/You're". If it makes sense like that, it will be 'You're'. If it doesn't make sense, it will be 'Your'.

Which - Comparing and/or contrasting. E.g. "You still haven't told us which road to take."
Witch - A character with magical abilities, or a rude nickname. E.g. "The witch raised her wand and turned the knight into a goldfish." Or "You old witch!"
How to tell the difference? The word 'Witch' directly refers to a person, whereas 'Which' does not always.

Weather - Raining, storming, sunny, windy, etc. E.g. "The weather sure is rough tonight!"
Whether - Comparing and/or contrasting. E.g. "She's still deciding whether or not to sleep over."
How to tell the difference? 'Weather' refers directly to natural occurrences like storms, whereas 'Whether' is usually used in decision making conversations.

There - Generally refers to a place. E.g. "I can't believe she got to go there!"
Their - Refers to peoples' belongings. E.g. "Their house is so nice!"
They're - Combination of 'They' and 'Are'. E.g. "It's hard to believe that they're already getting married!"

To - Generally refers to a place. E.g. "I am going over to Katie's house."
Too - Usually used when saying something is doing something as well. E.g. "Cool! I'm going to the park, too!"
Two - The number 2. E.g. "He has two brothers."

Break - Generally when a continuity is interrupted. E.g. "Be careful not to break the plate."
Brake - A term used when something 'halts'. E.g. "Use the car brake to slow down, Jimmy."

One - A number referring to a singular object / term. E.g. "There is only one cupcake left in the box."
Won - A victory. E.g. "I came first in my swimming race! I won!"