Antagonists and Protagonists

Creating effective antagonists and protagonists is typically very challenging.

(*Protagonist = the main character- sometimes called 'the hero'- of your story.)
(*Antagonist = the main opposition to the protagonist- usually called the 'bad guy'.)
(E.g. In Harry Potter, Harry is the protagonist, whereas Voldemort is the antagonist.)

When creating an antagonist, try to avoid making him/her a bad guy just because you needed a bad guy (I've done this TT_TT so many times ;-; *regret*)

Give your antagonist a backstory and believable reasons for their actions.
This helps enhance the dramatic-ness and effectiveness of your story as well as creating a bond with the antagonist and audience (lmao watch them SUFFER), and creates more interesting relationships between characters.

For the protagonists, the main point to keep in mind is: Don't make them absolutely perfect/ overpowered in every single way.

For example:
If you're writing a Fairy Tail fanfiction, try avoid doing this...

'Hi, my name is ____, and I'm the Sun Dragon Demon God Slayer, and I also have all twelve golden gate keys, and I can use the most powerful Requip magic there is! Also, I'm immortal and have never ever lost a fight because I am the most powerful wizard in this world.'

(In addition, usually, these types of characters get all the other characters drawling over them as either awestruck fangirls/fanboys or love interests- like in a harem).

If you make your protagonist all perfect, they'll most likely turn out to be pretty boring. (There are some exceptions, but they are in the minority.)
The main exception from this rule that comes to mind is Saitama, from One Punch Man. However, his character and delivery of different scenes and situations is hilarious, engaging and makes the audience want to keep watching.
(He was also created as a satirical jab at how other series' portrayed their overpowered main characters).

Furthermore, it would be in your best interest give your characters flaws.