Chapter Five: Making Decisions

Fernando sighed as he got out of his Aston Martin DBS, it had been three days since the incident with Aiden being poisoned and as expected Richard had blown a fuse.

The manager had put the team through intense training and had screamed at them until their ears had nearly bleed.

The footballers all now knew what it was like to be in the army, with Richard forcing them through hours upon hours of intense training; no one could deny that they didn’t deserved it and they didn’t complain not after what had happened to Aiden.

Richard refused to talk about his private life and what had happened to his grandson, though the press were only too happy to comment on it and had called Riley a bad mother for what had happened.

Fernando couldn’t resist peeking over to where her parking space was hoping that maybe she had come back; it had been empty since what had happened to Aiden, but today her black Mercedes CL was parked there.

The footballer stared at the car for a moment as he felt hope fill his chest, he didn’t know why he felt relieved that Riley was finally back but he knew that he had to go and see her.

Fernando decided it was because she was a single parent and he was worried about her son, he didn’t want to admit that maybe he had gotten a little attached to his boss’s daughter.

The footballer shouldered his bag as he headed into the stadium knowing it couldn’t hurt to go and see the brunette, she was a co-worker and he was worried about her son.

***

“Riley?” Fernando called as he stepped into the therapist’s office without knocking, he smiled at the sight of her before realising that she wasn’t alone.

The footballer shifted nervously at the look that the other woman shot him before he noticed all of the boxes that were scattered around her office.

The woman that Riley had been speaking with excuse herself as she walked out of the room leaving the footballer alone with the exhausted looking brunette.

“What’s going on?” Fernando asked confused as Riley closed up the last box of her things, he really wasn’t sure why there were all these boxes but he had a feeling he wasn’t going to like the answer.

The footballer really hoped that the brunette had quit her job over what had happened, he knew it had been bad but he hoped she’d be willing to stay.

Riley sighed knowing that she was doing the right thing, she really hadn’t expected anyone to notice that she was at the stadium, she wanted to pack her things up quietly and leave.

“I’ve resigned, Natasha is the new team therapist; she’ll be taking your sessions from now on,” Riley said making Fernando frown as he realised that she was leaving the club after what had happened.

The brunette crossed her arms as she watched the footballer curious about how he would feel about her leaving, she hadn’t been at the club for long and now she was leaving.

“You can’t leave Riley, it was an accident it won’t happen again,” Fernando said as he tried to convince her not to leave that her place was here at the club.

The brunette was the only real person that the Spaniard felt relaxed around and he feared that if she left then it would only be a short time before he did the same.

“It doesn’t matter Fernando, I put Aiden in danger by letting him out of my sight; I’m a terrible mother,” Riley said her voice stranded as she blinked back tears; she was doing this for her son, to protect him.

Fernando shook his head, he knew that there was nothing he could say to change her mind; however he didn’t get to reply as Richard entered the office and glared at Fernando.

“What are you doing here pansy?” he asked making the Spaniard frown; he knew that it would take a while before Richard would call him by his name.

“I came to speak with Riley,” Fernando said carefully as he looked back at the brunette who looked at him sadly, Richard stared at the Spaniard wondering if he had saw what he thought he saw flicker through Fernando’s eyes.

“Well that’s nice of you but I think you have training,” Richard replied as Riley looked at her father and sighed knowing that he was still upset about what had happened as well.

“Dad could you give me a moment,” the brunette said making her father frown as he looked between them; he nodded before he walked out of her office leaving them alone.

Fernando stepped towards the brunette knowing that this was his chance to convince her to stay, he didn’t know her all that well but she was the only person that made him actually feel welcome at the club.

“You can’t leave Riley… I know things have been bad but you’re stronger than this,” Fernando begged her, he didn’t want to see her leave over a stupid mistake that someone else had made.

Riley sighed making Fernando frown as he stood in front of her, his brown eyes making her feel guilty that this would be the last time that they saw each other.

“I’m doing the right thing for Aiden… what would you have done if it had been Nora or Leo? I couldn’t live with myself if I came back here and something like this happened again,” Riley said making him frown at that thought and she knew he’d do the same thing.

Fernando nodded sadly, he couldn’t believe that she was leaving because of how she had been treated but he could understand; she had been treated worse than he had recently.

“Thank you Fernando… you’re one of the few that didn’t judge me,” Riley said making him nod sadly as he realised that she was going to leave no matter what he said and it hurt.

Standing close to Riley, Fernando couldn’t stop the feelings that rushed through him, he swallowed as the air around them felt warmer; Riley took a deep breath as Fernando moved to close the gap between them.

Just before their lips touched, Richard walked back into the room making them jump apart shocked that they had nearly kissed.

“I have to get to training,” Fernando said abruptly, he was shaken by what had nearly happened between him and Riley especially since he was meant to be happily married to his wife right now.

The brunette nodded while she busied herself with moving things around her desk, Richard stared at his daughter oddly wondering what had happened while he had been out of the room.

“Is everything okay?” Richard asked as Fernando left the room, the Spaniard’s face was flushed; Riley nodded her head quickly as she tried to ignore the beating of her heart.

The brunette couldn’t believe that she had nearly done that and she knew it was best if she left now before she made more of a fool of herself.

“I’m all packed,” Riley said changing the subject, she was going to miss Stamford Bridge; she knew she was doing the right thing for Aiden but she didn’t know if it was the right thing for her.

Richard nodded before he picked up two of the boxes while Riley got the last; she looked around her office one last time before she followed her father out of it.

Riley had always hoped the phrase ‘when one door closes another one opens’ was true and right now the brunette hoped that by closing the door to Chelsea, she would open a better door for her and Aiden in the future.