Chapter Forty: Baby Torres Montez

Riley had been in labour for four hours with Fernando loyally by her side since he had arrived wiping her head with a cool cloth; he refused to leave and he hoped that their baby boy would be okay.

Fernando kissed her head softly as the contractions got closer together, he held her hand as the midwife entered the room and smiled softly at them; it was clear that they really loved one another.

The midwife quickly checked Riley over as Fernando tried to relax her, he watched the midwife knowing that their baby was going to be so small when he was born.

“It’s time,” the midwife said as she offered the couple a reassuring smile, there was no going back now and their little boy was about to come into the big bad world.

As the midwife prepared herself, Riley kissed Fernando who cupped her face; she didn’t care what had happened in the past, what mattered was that he was here when she needed him.

“Okay Riley… I need you to push on the next contraction,” the midwife said making the brunette nod feeling the next contraction coming, she started to push while squeezing Fernando’s hand.

Riley hadn’t thought that she would be doing this now, she had a feeling that this wasn’t going to be what she had first expected when she had found out that she was having a baby.

The midwife smiled at Riley and told her that she was doing well, as the brunette tried to relax before she had to push again; she didn’t have to wait long as the next contraction hit.

Fernando started to whisper encouraging words into her ear, he was never going to let her slip through his fingers and he needed her as much as she needed him right now.

“I want that ring back,” Riley said making him look at her as she continued to push, she looked at the footballer with a tight smile.

Fernando didn’t have to be told twice as he slipped the white gold 15 point diamond flower solitaire engagement ring out of his pocket, where it had been since Riley had removed it.

Fernando kissed Riley softly as he slipped it back onto her finger, he was pleased to see that she hadn’t removed the sterling silver fancy 12 point diamond solitaire promise ring that he had given her.

There small moment between the couple was ruined as another contraction hit, Riley groaned as she closed her eyes as she continued to push.

“You’re doing great Riley… I can see the head,” the midwife encouraged as Riley moaned in pain; Fernando wiped Riley’s head as she continued to push as the last few moments of the labour passed, the midwife smiled at the couple as their son came into the world.

Fernando kissed Riley as she leaned back exhausted, he was so proud of her and he couldn’t believe that their little boy was here; his cries filled the room as the midwife held him.

“Here he is,” the midwife said making them look at their newborn eleven weeks premature son, she knew he was a little on the small side and there could be so much wrong with him but he looked so perfect.

Fernando closed his eyes; he was as small, Riley leant her head against his as the midwife moved to check their son over and clean him off.

“He’s so small,” Fernando murmured making Riley nod as he pulled a warm blanket over her; she was exhausted as she watched the midwife who smiled at them as she brought their son back to them.

The midwife smiled as she carefully handed the infant, who had been cleaned up and had been checked over to Riley; knowing that the newborn needed his mother for a moment before he was taken for some tests.

“He weighs 3Ib 8oz,” the midwife said with a smile, it was a promising sign for the newborn and would benefit him now that he had been born; he still had a little bit of a fight ahead of him but things looked good for him.

Fernando nodded as he looked at his newborn son, he stroked his cheek gently as tears filled his eyes; he was so small and the footballer was frightened that he would break him.

“It’s a good sign,” the midwife reassured them as she watched the concerned couple with their child; she knew it was still too early to say but things looked good for him.

“He’ll be okay?” Fernando asked as Riley watched the little boy contently, the midwife smiled at them as she looked at some paper work; she had some things that she wanted to check with both mother and baby before she released them.

“We’d like to keep both of them in for at least a week and he will have to be put in an incubator, but that’s just precautionary he seems fine,” the midwife reassured the couple with a smile.

Riley nodded as she looked at the midwife, while Fernando stroked the infant’s head; the midwife left them alone as Fernando kissed Riley again sure that they would be okay.

***

Fernando watched Riley sleep as he held his newborn son, he was glad that she had taken him back and he had managed to explain everything to her after the birth of their son.

The footballer had helped his fiancée dressed in a black maternity chemise that she had covered with her neon green fleece hooded robe instead of the hospital gown that she had given birth in.

Richard had taken the children home to put together an overnight bag for Riley, which the brunette was thankful for; he had also informed Fernando’s parents of the birth and they were trying to get a flight over.

Fernando couldn’t find words to describe how he felt about the little boy that lay in his arms; he knew they weren’t out of the woods yet.

Fernando looked up as he heard the door opened, he smiled as Richard moved towards him; the footballer glanced at Riley who was still asleep after the stressful day that she’d had.

“How are they?” Richard asked as he looked at the couple, he was pleased to her that they were back together especially now that they needed one another.

“Perfect,” Fernando said as he looked down at his son, he couldn’t believe he was holding something so small in his arms; he was about twenty centre metres long and seemed so fragile.

Richard chuckled, he remembered when Jacob and Riley had been born; he had never been happier in his entire life and this little boy was a gift as well, even if he had arrived earlier than planned.

“What will you call him?” Richard asked, making Fernando look at him; they had been advised not to name him just yet in case there was something wrong and he didn’t make it.

“We haven’t decided on one yet,” Fernando said as he looked at the other man, he knew that this wasn’t going to be an easy few weeks; they would have to wait for all of the test results to come back before they knew if there was anything wrong with their little boy.

 Richard nodded his head as he set down the things that he had brought, Riley had only enough time to pick up some sleepwear before she was rushed to the hospital; the children were excited to meet their new baby brother.

“It’ll be okay… if he is anything like you and Riley, he’ll make it,” Richard said as he smiled at Fernando, they didn’t deserve this and he hoped that they had better luck from now on.

The footballer nodded his head as he smiled down at his son, he knew that whatever happened; he was going to protect his family from now on.