Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Verdict

Riley swallowed as she felt Fernando take her hand; Aiden was sat with her father and Nora in another room while they listened to Jacob and Jonas talk.

Riley could see Joseph talking to his parents, his mother glaring at her from across the room; their once friendly relationship destroyed in a few short days.

Today was going to be difficult, today it would be decided who would have full custody of Aiden; it wasn't going to be easy anyway and the brunette feared what would happen.

"It'll be okay," Fernando said as they moved into the room where it would all be decided, they were due to start soon and the footballer wanted her to relax.

Riley was wearing a green pencil dress with kimono wrap paired with single sole orange strap sandals while Fernando was also wearing a grey suit and Riley had to admit he looked good in it.

The court official smiled at Riley as she sat down next to Fernando who rubbed her hand in comfort; today was a big day and no one wanted to delay.

Joseph sat across from them with his lawyer, while Jacob and Jonas sat with Riley and Fernando; they were sure that the court would see sense and give custody to the person who deserved it the most Riley.

"This is the custody battle for Aiden Montez," the court official said as she checked her documents to make sure she had the right room and case.

Joseph frowned at his son's last name, he knew he should have insisted that Aiden take his last name; it dented his chances now and he would change it as soon as he was awarded custody.

"Okay, have you got all the paperwork sorted," the official said making the lawyers nod as they passed over the paperwork that had been completed and sorted out.

Each was hoping that it would be enough to prove that their client was the best candidate for being Aiden's full time guardian.

Fernando glanced at Joseph, who seemed a little worried as his lawyer handed over the paperwork; Joseph was well aware he didn't have a strong case but that wasn't going to put him off hurting Riley.

The official nodded as she glanced through the paperwork, she looked at Fernando as she checked that she had everything that was needed.

"It says here, you are Dr. Montez's current partner and are seeking parental rights for her son?" the official said wanting to make sure that she had seen right, she didn't want to make any mistakes and hoped that this was going to be a pretty quick case.

Fernando nodded, the woman chewed on her lip as she continued to read; this case had to be the most interesting one she had seen, and she was only to aware why Joseph had applied for custody.

***

They spent the next hour answering the official's questions and as time went on it became apparently that Joseph wasn't going to win this case.

The official sighed and took off her glasses, she rubbed her temples as she looked at Joseph knowing that this wasn't going to be easy for him to hear.

"Mr. Addams if I may be honest, you really don't have a case here," the official said making Joseph frown, he didn't like her expression and he had a feeling that he knew what she was going to say.

His lawyer looked at him nervously as Joseph nodded sadly, he should have seen this coming when he spoke with his lawyer; even Natasha had warned him against this.

The official sighed as she filled out some paperwork, she shook her head knowing that Joseph had only applied because Fernando wanted custody of the little boy and he had reacted because he didn't like the idea of his son having another father.

"The court gives full custody to Dr. Montez," the official said making Joseph nod sadly; he should have known this was coming and it was hard to accept.

The official looked at Fernando since with Riley's part of the case had been won now it was his turn and the official knew just how quickly this was going to be sorted compared to the custody battle.

"Mr. Torres, you seem to have a strong relationship with Aiden, stronger than that of his father," the official said making Fernando nodded as Joseph glared at the footballer, he didn't like where this was going; he had already lost one battle.

"You also have consistent contact with the child," the official said making Fernando nod again, though he knew she was after a verbal response; he wasn't going to allow anything to stop him from adopting Aiden.

The little boy was his son in every sense of the word but biologically and he had been much more of a father to him than Joseph had ever been.

"Yes, Riley and I live together, I see him as mine," Fernando said making Joseph glare at him while the official nodded; she read through bits of the paperwork again before nodding once more.

"The court sees no problem in you becoming the child's legal parent, however Mr. Addams we will need your signature to do so," the official said knowing that this was where they had a problem.

They all knew that there was no way in hell that the blonde was going to sign away his parental rights to Fernando.

Joseph's lawyer whispered something to him while Riley smiled at Fernando as she felt him run a hand over her arm, his fingers brushing against her promise ring.

"Mr. Addams it is highly recommended by the court that you do so, you are currently in breach of not paying any child support to Dr. Montez," the official said pushing for Joseph to get a move on.

There was no need for any delay and Joseph would only incur the wrath of the legal system if he didn't; he only seemed interested in his son when it suited him.

Riley looked at her ex-boyfriend as he agreed; she honestly hadn't expected him to give in so easily. Fernando looked at him gratefully as the official passed something to Joseph's lawyer so that the final part of the meeting could be completed.

***

"Daddy," Aiden said as he moved to hug Joseph as the man prepared to leave, he quickly picked the little boy up as Fernando followed after Aiden.

The footballer knew that Joseph would be suffering, he had gone through the same thing when Olalla had dropped the bomb that Leo wasn't his.

Since Riley was filling out the paperwork to become Nora's mother, Fernando had taken it upon himself to make sure that Joseph got to say goodbye to Aiden.

"I'll look after both of them, and if you're ever in London again, you can always visit," Fernando offered knowing that he could never cancel out the fact that Joseph was Aiden's father in some small way.

Joseph nodded at him grateful for the olive branch that he was offering; he held onto Aiden for a moment before he sighed knowing that this was for the best.

"I'm moving to Melbourne permanently... I should have seen this coming," Joseph said making Fernando nod as they stood quietly for a moment before Joseph looked at Fernando, the best man had certainly won.

Letting go of his son, Joseph blinked back tears as he ruffled his hair as he wondered when he would see Aiden again; he wasn't going to return to England again and he hoped his son would be okay.