0 | 4

"What's wrong with me?"
whatever boats you float | jake

____

"What are we going to do with you Jake?" Madaline asked, more to herself than me.

Its been a week since I punched Dex, and Caterpillars extended my sentence, and here Mads was still talking about it. "Whats done is done. I cant take it back, not that I would that bastard deserved it. But its done, nevertheless."

"Its not okay though Jake." She looked down at me, lying across the bed in my dorm.

Usually others arent supposed to be in our rooms, but when you keep your head down, the nurses and guards tend to look the other way. They had their hands full with bigger problems anyway.

"We were both going to get out of here. Together. And you couldnt bloody help yourself could you. I mean what are you going to do without me?" She exclaimed waving her hands around.

Probably what I did before you started annoying me and following me around.

That was kind of true. One day she just sat down and started talking to me. I had no say.

"Your my best friend now. "She said after only a couple of minutes.

"Umm Why?"

" Because youre the least crazy here so far." She said with certainty. How she knew, I had no idea.

"Do I even get a say in this?" I asked standing up, heading to the trash can.

"Nope." And with that she linked her arm through mine and pulled me along.

"JAKE!" Mads screamed pulling me out of the memory, and taking the book that I was reading from my hands, whacking me with it.

"HEY!" I rubbed the back of my head. "What was that for?"

"You're not even listening when Im talking to you!" She frowned, scrunching up her nose is distaste.

God forbid I miss one word or she'll repeat the whole story again. Since Mads starting hanging with me, I've been reading a whole lot less. But hey? I'm not complaining, Mads is actually pretty cool.

Considering where we are.

"Would it make you feel better if I told you I was thinking about you?" I batted my lashes and gave her a smirk.

"Eww No Jake! UGGHHHH. Why are you always like this?"

"Like what?"

"You know." She waved her arms at me. I frowned.

"No. I don't. Whats wrong with me? I'm perfectly normal!"

"Yeah, and that's why your in rehab for lunies. Because, and I quote," She made speech marks with her fingers. "I'm perfectly normal," Mads said, trying to imitate my voice.

"Whatever boats ya float Mads." I rolled my eyes, then lied back trying to get comfortable, as she left the room, closing the door.

Just as my eyes started to drift closed, a knock sounded at the door.

"YES?" I called out.

"Group therapy, Jake move it or loose it."

"What? WE HAD THAT YESTERDAY THOUGH!" I hated group therapy. They went nowhere, and they always hate when I read in them.

"MOVE IT JAKE OR SO HELP ME GOD!" The nurse called back. "AND DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT BRINGING A BOOK!"

Damn.

They knew me too well.

I shrugged on my jacket, and opened the door to see a short red-faced nurse smoothing her hair down while glaring at me. I gave her my best grin.

"Good. Now come on. There's someone here for everyone to meet."

"Okay. Lead the way." I gestured my hand, and she huffed stomping her way down the hall.

Whistling I strolled down the hall, putting my hands in my pockets.

I then pulled out a hand after feeling a hard, bulky object.

Hey look.

Its my pocket edition of Catcher in the Rye.

I wondered where that went.

___

Sitting in the main hall, I pulled out my book and was about to start reading when Mads ran over squealing and hit me on the arm.

"Oww. What the hell Mads?"

"Did you hear? Did you hear? Were getting a newbie. Oooh She must be pretty special for them to be calling us all here dont you think?"

"Mmmmhhmm... "I murmered, already entranced by my book.

" Oh JAKE... " Mads sighed before facing the front to listen to nurses. I just kept reading. I didnt really care. Newbies come all the time.

"Now I would like you to all meet someone special. "The nurse went on." Please be kind and on your best behaviour." I chuckled, yeah cause we're all bloody angels alright.

I looked up just as I heard the door open, and a brown head walked inside.

"Everyone, this is Ella."

____

I hope y'all are enjoying the book so far!